Author Topic: new loader  (Read 418 times)

Offline MarksmanTim

• Trade Count: (0)
new loader
« on: February 29, 2012, 03:31:02 AM »
Hey guys.

I recently acquired a 1965 Winchester M70 chambered in .225. The rifle came with 40 reloaded rounds as well as another 130 or so empty casings. I also got a Lee handloader and a box of bullets for the .225.

So I will be reading up in this forum the FAQ section, as well as do some research to find some good loads to make. I need to learn how to use the loader, and still need to buy a scale. I have to buy primers and powder still, but before I ask questions I will do my research.

I also just bought 100 brand new Winchester brass for $50, which should give me enough rounds to be happy. I also bought a box of bullets that are a little different than what was given to me, so it looks like I'll be making 2 different loads!

I am looking forward to joining the reloading community!

Tim

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: new loader
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 03:49:19 AM »
first thing you need to do is go and buy at least 2 reloading manuals. read the first part of both of them up to where they start giving load data. that will give you an ideal whats involved and what you need to buy. Then go to the listing for the round your loading and buy one of the powders there recomending for your bullet weight and the primer they used.
blue lives matter

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 05:10:10 AM »
 Yes allot of reading is due for this hobby. A trip to the local Library can yield a few books,,
,, read them cover to cover.
 It all easy enough to pick up, but there is a safety protocol that comes first, and basic procedures that are required for the novice as well as the seasoned pro.

There is a learning curve, Lee has some excellent on line tutorials and there's a ton of "how too" videos on Youtube. Handloading is a great pass time and the only way to squeeze the best accuracy out of your rifle. Finding a local shop or even a mentor is a huge plus
  The 225 winchester is a neat round, I have plans to ream a 223 I have to Win 225
found elsewhere

Offline sr sawyer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (70)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 12:50:29 PM »
Get the newest Lyman manual for a world of info.  In my opinion they have the best overall book for beginners and they are not component manufactures.  You are entering an addictive world ;)

Ken
NRA Life Member

Offline MarksmanTim

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 03:06:12 AM »
Get the newest Lyman manual for a world of info.  In my opinion they have the best overall book for beginners and they are not component manufactures.  You are entering an addictive world ;)

Ken

I'm getting the feeling pretty soon I will need a bigger gun locker and a bigger safe for all of the "stuff" I am acquiring, plus all the ammo! Right now I have a 9 gun safe, and an 18 gun convertable locker that is currently setup for 9 guns and shelves on the other side. - The safe is full and there are 5 more guns in the locker. The locker shelves are already almost full of ammo, mags, cleaning supplies, blueing kits, etc.

I am attending my first gunshow this weekend. I will be looking for a recent edition Lyman manual, and will look at the various equipment for sale, but probably won't make a purchase.

Offline Greg B.

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 12:59:37 PM »
+1 on the Lyman manual. Lee also makes comparitively inexpensive single stage press kits once you have done a few boxes  on the Lee loader. Hodgons has lots of load data on their web site.

Greg B.