Author Topic: 9mm reloading  (Read 590 times)

Offline buffermop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
9mm reloading
« on: February 29, 2012, 07:00:52 AM »
Is it better to crimp or not to crimp when reloading a 9mm shell? I just purchased the 4 die carbide Lee set.

Offline Larry Gibson

Re: 9mm reloading
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 07:18:21 AM »
Is it better to crimp or not to crimp when reloading a 9mm shell? I just purchased the 4 die carbide Lee set.

The 9mm headspaces on the case mouth.  The "crimp" should be a taper crimp to just close the case mouth flair tight against the side of the bullet (not into a crimp or lube groove if there are any on the bullets).  A roll type crimp should not be used.

Larry Gibson

Offline shot1

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 10:50:37 AM »
I think that die set has the Lee Factory Crimp Die. USE IT. It will put a taper crimp and resize the whole case to specks and they will run like water through your weapon.

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 06:46:40 PM »
I have loaded a few thousaind rounds with the Lee 4-die set and I like.  Critical with whatever die set is to get the length of the load correct.  The die set will create the taper crimp for you, just follow the setup directions which come with the die.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline buffermop

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 10:14:06 AM »
I will be using a RCBS bench powder dispenser in conjuntion with the Lee dies. My question is should I eliminate the powder through expanding die as I will be chargeing the casing right from the powder hopper rather than using the dipping spoon?

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 02:06:32 PM »
" My question is should I eliminate the powder through expanding die as I will be charging the casing right from the powder hopper rather than using the dipping spoon?"
I do not drop powder in the expander die.  I charge the case from my Lyman 55 and at times when I am checking the charge the 55 drops I weight it on the scale and pour the powder in the case using a funnel.

The charge case then goes in to  a loading block with others.  When it comes time to seat bullets I first check all the cases in the block to make sure they have a powder charge.

WHY?

After fifty years of loading I got a bullet stuck in the bore of my 9mm.    I thought why not, just drop the powder into the top of the expansion die, and move on to the bullet seating.  Some How, Some Way I was distracted and failed to charge a case. ::)

It came with sick feeling when the gun went pop instead of bang, the slide came part way back with the case stove-piped, and the bullet stuck half way down the barrel.

I have loaded a few thousand rounds since that mishap, and I have not had a failure.
This has me thinking, a granddaughter will soon be using my 9mm dies.  I am going to ductape the top of the die to make sure she does not get into charging by way of the Expanding Die.

The Expanding Die still has a function.  Its job is to expand the mouth of the case just enough to allow the bullet to be seated without tearing or collapsing the case.

I normall put a very shallow bell on the mouth of case.  If I am loading .355 diameter bullets i will adjust the die to create a .356 bell.  I measure the expansion with my calipers.

There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline Greg B.

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 02:19:11 PM »
First off, I have never used any of the equipment to which you refer but assume you are religiously following the manufactures directions. I also assume that the powder comming from the powder hopper is one charge of a correctly weighed and measured amount from a reputable loading manual. THERE IS NO ROOM FOR ERROR ON THIS. Last it appears you have answered your own question with the description of the die - a powder through "expanding die". If you don't use this die how will the neck be expanded and/or the case mouth belled? Make up a dummy cartridge with no powder or primer that has already been sized and gently try to seat a bullet in it. The case mouth will probably be to small to seat the bullet. With the expanding die correctly adjusted this should not be a problem. I don't think it matters if the powder comes from a scoop or a measure as long as it is one charge per cartridge of the correct type, weight or volume but I would use the die. Just my .02 cents worth. Good luck.

Greg B.

Offline Gun Runner

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 10:03:24 PM »
Siskiyou and I must be doing something right, we both shoot the same bullet (I cast for both of us) we have both shot each others reloads. I load with a dillon 550RL which has its own powder thrower. So far we havant blown up each others pistols.

Gun Runner