Author Topic: swage grease grooves  (Read 870 times)

Offline vinconco

• Trade Count: (0)
swage grease grooves
« on: January 24, 2004, 11:18:28 AM »
I just visited a website that advertised "Precision Swaged Grease Groove Bullets"    My question is how do they get the grooves in a swaged bullet?

http://www.buffaloarms.com

Thanks

Steve

Offline talon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
swage grease grooves
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2004, 02:45:20 PM »
While I don't know how those bullets are made on the site you referenced, they could have been made in a 2 piece die. That is to say, the die body comes apart just like a bullet casting mold. That way the groves could be part of the bullet's profile.  The only reason there are those barely visable lines on a bullet where the two sides of the casting mold come together is because that's where some of the air escapes: the blocks are actually about .0005" apart at that point. That line, by the way, has no effect on the bullet's capability. A 2 piece precision swaging die would have no need to let air escape where the pieces mate; therefore there would be no line. ( I mention this as 'having no line' is in the site's advertisement) The two pieces of the die would have to be held in allignment within a die holder... and would operate in the same manner as most other single stage Lead semi-wad cutter design dies.
  Rolling(canneluring) multiple deep precision groves in a post forming operation  is also possible, and more practical, I think. The fit of the die holder to the 2 halfs of that die under very high pressure is critical, and even then, getting  20:1 lead to flow into the multi groove area to form sharp edges is a difficult proposition. Too, placing deep groves in a lead bullet while maintaining controlled length and diameter is not an easy task in small shop (hobby) operations.
 Hopfully a die maker or someone who makes these kinds of bullets will give us an answer.8)

Offline talon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
swage grease grooves
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2004, 06:11:38 AM »
To see a 2 piece die, go to ebay item # 3655948032  or use Search Words  " Herters Bullet "  8)

Offline Lead pot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
swage grease grooves
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2004, 03:30:05 PM »
I do it in another way.The work involved is not any longer then casting cores.

I cast the bullet in a regular mould lube the bullet like normal with my home made or SPG or what ever.with the lube in the grooves I run the bullet through the swaging die with a bleeder port in the die and swage it.
The lube in the grooves will hold the grooves from deforming and you get a perfect bullet.
You can use a step die like your mould or a bullet with no step which works very good in the so called patch throat chambers.
It will look just like any swaged bullet but you will see a fine line were the mould halfs came together when you use a say 1-25 alloy. soft lead you can eliminate that fine line.
I had Richard make me a little longer ejection pin for making a hollow point bullet with a .250 deep and .120 diameter hole in the point.
That is an excellent performing bullet.

Some time back I had the Herters equipment when they had there catalog outlet and I used the 20 ton press with that die that Talon listed,but the pressure was just to great for the die holder and in time It would loosen up.It was great for the smaller bullets but the larger once would raise havock.

Kurt.
Dont go were the path leads,go were there is no path and leave a trail.