Author Topic: Primer Pocket Cleaning & Case Triming  (Read 478 times)

Offline 38MAN

• Trade Count: (0)
Primer Pocket Cleaning & Case Triming
« on: March 03, 2012, 11:06:59 AM »
For years I have reloaded on a single station press. Part of my routine was to clean the primer pocket and check / trim the case length. That is the way that I was taught to do it. I recently purchased a Lee turret press and their safety prime system and I realized that if I follow theprocess and instructions it will omit these steps. So, how important are these steps? I load light rounds mostly 38, 45 and 40SW. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance........

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
Re: Primer Pocket Cleaning & Case Triming
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 12:28:41 PM »
1.  Primer pocket cleaning isn't important.

2.  You should never have to trim a straight walled case so why check it for length?

Offline Savage

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 12:36:33 PM »
1.  Primer pocket cleaning isn't important.

2.  You should never have to trim a straight walled case so why check it for length?

That about sums it up. In 45+ years of reloading I have never trimmed a straight walled case, or fussed over their primer pockets.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline sr sawyer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (70)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 01:12:02 PM »
For the 40 SW and 45 ACP, which headspace on the case mouth, a consistent length within tolerances is a must.  Some cases may never need trimming because length grows slowly but still should be verified before using a progressive loader for these.

The 38/357, 44Spcl/44Mag, and 45Colt, because they headspace on the rim, may never need to be trimmed.  I do trim mine when they get too long just to keep the crimp in the same place for that particular load with the same bullet.

Ken
NRA Life Member

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 03:44:47 PM »
While I agree that generally speaking straight walled cases rarely need trimming. I also agree with Ken, auto pistols that head space off the case mouths are more critical for the cases OAL...

AS for primer pockets, I always clean them. Proper and complete primer seating is MUCH easier acheived without all the debris form a previous firing. Improperly seated primers are a recipe for FTF's...

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline cybin

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 06:43:48 PM »
Lately I have been teaching two individuals to reload on my equipment --mostly 9mm--and this is what I have seen. Using Remington and Winchester brass out of 100 pieces you may need to trim 3 pieces becouse they are over size according to specks. With what i will call off brand brass (mfs.geco,cbc,s&b etc) we have run into about 20 to 25 pieces that are over size after resizing and depriming out of every 100.

The crimp is more uniform when the brass is in specks. I believe right off the top of  my head without checking the manual that the specks for 9mm  brass is .749 to .755 which is only .006 tolerance. I may be wrong on the length, but not on the tolerance as my reloading manual is downstairs and I'm not going down there again this day.

cybin