Author Topic: 1819 mortar  (Read 1138 times)

Offline armorer77

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
1819 mortar
« on: March 03, 2012, 11:51:06 AM »
I thought I would try something different .

This one is GB bore. 7.640" long , 4.5" bore , 1" x 1.5" powder chamber . Main bobt dia. 3.750"

Weighs 21 lbs. Cost $225 plus $12 shipping . Armorer77

Offline elad5173

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Love Cannons of all sizes...
Re: 1819 mortar
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 01:27:41 PM »
 :D Very nice,Ed.AS usually!
Wh.Oak.8989

Offline NinjaToes

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 03:30:01 PM »
Love it, another one that's gonna be in my collection soon.
Some people are like a Slinky...

Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Offline IvarForkbeard

• Avid Poster
  • Former US Navy BB stacker
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 04:08:38 PM »
Having seen it yesterday before the trunnions were installed, I can tell you it looks better in person.

Former US Navy, living in West Michigan

Offline GLS

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 05:01:49 AM »
Look forward to the new mortar to arrive.  I have the carriage template made and need to start shaping the wood.  The wheels are 2" steel castors.  If only it would warm up a little and stop snowing.

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 08:05:07 AM »
OK, ya can't fool the 'ol cannonmn.  It can't possibly have a 4.5 inch bore.  Might that be a typo?  What's the bore really?  Thanks.

Offline armorer77

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 08:09:48 AM »
The bore is 4.5" deep . 1.73" dia .

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 11:11:22 AM »
      Looks like a nice one to me, Ed.  I’ve always liked that piece, both for it’s unique look and the role one like it played in U.S. History. Your rendition of it captures the business-like shape and no-nonsense look of the original.  This historical piece has been written about quite a bit over the years. The mystery surrounding the only one of it’s kind now on display at Fort Sumter in Charleston, South Carolina, is not if that particular mortar was used in the bombardment of Anderson’s command at Ft. Sumter on April 12, 1861, but rather, who actually pulled the lanyard on the signal mortar which initiated the bombardment. 

One name we can rule out is an elderly man from the Charleston area named Edmund Ruffin.  He was an agricultural methods experimenter and writer by profession, but as 1861 approached, he became a fire-breathing,  secessionist who made his presence known when he arrived at the Cummings Point batteries at the northern end of Morris Island in early April 1861.  From my reading over the past year it seems to be agreed that Ruffin did not fire the 10” Mortar signal shot from Fort Johnson about a mile west of Fort Sumter.  He was offered the firing of a shot from one of the  8” Columbiads at Cummings Point AFTER the general bombardment had commenced. 

It is now generally believed that Lieutenant Henry S. Farley in the command of Captain George S. James  fired a 10-Inch Mortar from Fort Johnson to signal the start of the general bombardment.  It is speculated that James offered the first shot to Virginia secessionist Roger Pryor. Although Pryor declined, someone fired that signal shell over Fort Sumter, opening the general bombardment at 4:30 A.M. on 12 April 1861 from 43 artillery pieces which circled Fort Sumter.

If anyone wants to learn a bit more about the mortars and events around Charleston Harbor, here are a few links:

http://www.hmdb.org/marker.asp?marker=30647

http://markerhunter.wordpress.com/2011/04/04/10-inch-mortar-model1807/

http://www.hmdb.org/marker.asp?marker=40075

If anyone thinks that GLS’s mortar bed looks a little odd, please consider that a famous photo, found in my copy of the book, The Image of War, Volume 1, Shadows of the Storm, on page 117, corresponds perfectly with the piece that exists today at Fort Sumter which is variously reported as a 10-Inch Seacoast Mortar of 1819 or 1807.  The photo, itself,  is one which shows the Confederate Trapier Mortar Battery on Morris Island from which the Rebels  bombarded Fort Sumter. The book says that this photo is significant in that it may possibly be the first of the Civil War that exists today.  When I bought that 5 volume set in 1981, I knew it was the best series I had ever seen, but my fiancé was a little jealous when she found out I shelled out $250 to get it!        Can’t wait to see some in-process photos of the bed build from GLS!

Tracy

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline GLS

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 01:50:54 AM »
I scaled the carriage from the two photos in The Image of War, Volume 1, Shadows of the Storm.  They are the only photos or drawings I could find on this mortar.  I will still have to guess on some of the details like what looks like a elevation screw.  I always liked the photo Tracy posted as the crew is most serious, except for the man in plaid. 

Offline JeffG

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 05:30:33 PM »
GLS  Nice carriage mock up....that's how you start, good job!! :D
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let them get just a little closer...
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 05:04:56 AM »
Very nice mortar there. Wish I wasn't broke from buying new astronomy stuff.
America has no native criminal class except Congress.   Sam Clemens

Offline JeffG

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 11:39:43 AM »
Not being rude, the HMR barrel is great!!
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff

Offline Tod0987

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 01:51:42 PM »
That looks sweet Ed   Glad to see the new lathe is up and running.

I've been trying to decide between the 1819 or 1841 seacoast in GB bore mortar. Both were on Morris Island I believe.