Author Topic: I got my rifle!  (Read 1413 times)

Offline azmark

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
I got my rifle!
« on: March 03, 2012, 02:53:07 PM »
I decided on a Savage model 10 in .270 Win.  Thanks for the input on my previous topic.
Now, since I'm new to hunting, I'd like to pick some brains and figure out how to prepare myself.  It goes without saying that I need to get familiar and proficient with my weapon. 
Should I figure out where I want to hunt and spend time getting familiar with the area?  I'm trying to find someone to help me learn how to find game.
Should I start by reading a book so I know the right questions to ask?  I'm kind of a book guy, so that's my first instinct.  Any suggestions?
Mark Dickinson
USAF, Retired

Offline streak

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: I got my rifle!
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 04:38:52 PM »
Azmark,
 You will like the .270 Win.!
Good books are a good source for learning hunting tecniques and also alot of good information on the internet. Some good information can be gleaned from the Graybeard Outdoors forums!
 In fact if you have specific questions about hunting or area where you hunt list them on the appropriate forum here and you will probably learn more than you need to know!! ;D ;D
Jack O` Connor was a big proponent of the .270 Win get some of his books for some great information on using the .270 for hunting various game.
NRA Life time Member
North American Hunting Club
Second Amendment Foundation
Gun Owners of America
Handgun Hunters International

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 02:50:39 AM »
Az...lots of 270 Users (I'm one) here.  I have a whole lot of hours reloading for and shooting a Winchester Model 70 Classic Featherweight.  My son purchased a similar Savage in 308 caliber and I am impressed with the Craftsmanship. 

The 270 is a very good, all around game-getter cartridge, with bantamweight bullet of 100 grains, a heavyweight of 170 grains, and three equally good middleweight bullets of 130, 140, and 150 grains.  Bullet profiles, materials, BC's, and sectional densities abound. 

Powder choices are many.  I have used IMR 4350 but prefer IMR 4831.  I intend to try IMR 4227 to see if anything further can be extracted toward best accuracy.

Here is a methodology for load development that will achieve an accurate load for your rifle, confidence in your shooting ability, which will always be less than the capability of the rifle, and a good time at the bench... http://optimalchargeweight.embarqspace.com/# .

You will need to spend "Dirt Time" to become familiar with the area in which you wish to hunt.  Go there out of season -right now if you can.  Find a likely spot and sit quietly for one hour.  Watch the place for one full hour.  Take your time.  You are not pressured.  You intended to be here for this purpose.  Have no other distractions.  Let the place, its sounds, smells, and movements sink in.  Leave after an hour.  Go back the next day for an hour (if you can).  Do this every day for a month (if you can).  Go there in rain, in wind, in calm.  Sit for one hour daily for a month (or two or three)  and your experience about that place will improve significantly.  If that place is laden with passing game in season, your prior hourly experiences with that place, out of season, will serve you well.

Going to and from your chosen spot, watch for game.  Place your mind in the mind of the game.  Observe game trails.  Where is food?  Where is bedding?  Where are the thickest places for security?  Where is water?  These can only be discovered by spending time in a place.  No book is going to tell you what you need to know.  You have to go there, spend a little time, and get to know the place.  The rest will follow as your experience grows.

Offline LanceR

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 04:19:20 AM »
Mark, congratulations on the new rifle and thank you for your service.

If there are any sportsmens clubs around you it would be worth visiting and introducing yourself.  I suspect that you'll find willing coaches or mentors there.

Where do you live?

Lance

Offline spruce

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 02:04:10 PM »
Excellent choice of rifle and cartridge.
Good advice about spending time in your chosen hunt area(s).  I would also do as much hiking and exploring of the area as time allows, getting as familiar with the area as you can.

Reading books about hunting your chosen game animal is a very good idea.  You will soon see that there are some differing opinions on what methods work best, preferred equipment, etc.  Mostly, there is no right or wrong, it's just that different things sometimes work better in different places and for different people.  Over time you'll sort out what works for you.
If you can find a mentor it will speed up the learning curve a whole lot, and make more sense out of what you're reading in books.
If you can't locate a mentor I would recommend hiring a guide for your first hunt or two.  Nothing fancy, just a local person who is familiar with the area and hunting your chosen game.  Ask him as many questions as you can think of, mainly WHY?.  Why are we setting up here?  Why is this a good time of day to sit on stand?  Etc, etc.

And don't get discouraged - we all come home empty handed more times than we score!  Some of my favorite memories are of days when I never fired a shot.

Offline azmark

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 04:22:33 PM »
Mark, congratulations on the new rifle and thank you for your service.

If there are any sportsmens clubs around you it would be worth visiting and introducing yourself.  I suspect that you'll find willing coaches or mentors there.

Where do you live?

Lance

There's a sportsman's club at the nearby Army post.  I live about 3 miles south of SR 92 about .7 miles from the Mexican border.  The San Pedro river is nearby.  I will go to the Park Service office soon for some maps and go hike a bit in areas where there is hunting allowed.

Can I hike with my rifle just.to get used to it?  I figure if I can carry a handgun anywhere, a rifle should be okay. 
Mark Dickinson
USAF, Retired

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 05:11:40 PM »
That question is one for the local LEO (carrying rifle on walks).  Perhaps by the border like you are that is acceptable.  With the plethora of Touristas here, it would be a quick trip to County lockup for me.  Perhaps the Base has a Recreation Officer who can be asked.  Good luck on that.

Offline LanceR

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 01:40:43 AM »
I had to smile a bit at the part about hiking with the rifle to get used to it.  I spent a lot of years as an infantryman and even now I feel awkward without something in my hands when hiking or backpacking.  If I don't have a walking stick, pole or something similar it seem to be a hard thing to figure out what to do with my hands.  I've sometimes even had to stifle the reflex to "take a knee" when I stop walking.

I have no idea what the laws are in AZ so I think Land_Owners advice is good.  Here in New York there are no restrictions in most places but some areas, parks etc have their own rules and laws.

The advice about books is good also.  I will add that if you start looking for a book (or books) that you look for ones about the kind of hunting you want to do.  By that I mean that many books are aimed at trophy hunters, some at woodland hunters etc. 

If you are looking for a good book that discusses the basics of deer hunting, dressing you deer, caring for it, butchering it etc then look for a copy of John Weiss' books on butchering deer.  The hunting part of it is mostly aimed at farmland hunting but he also discusses how to pick out a good eating deer and everything you need to know from there to the freezer and on to the table.

In easy to read and follow directions he takes you step by step through the entire process of caring for and butchering the deer and hits every variation of meat cuts etc along the way.  There are a couple of editions out but any of them will are good.  My copy has helped several hunter learn to care for and butcher their own deer and I've given several as gifts to new hunters.  The title of mine is Butchering Deer: The Complete Manual of Field Dressing, Skinning, Aging and Butchering Deer at  Home

It's a mouthful but the title kind of says it all.

It is good to see that you are thinking ahead well in advance of the season.

Lance

Offline azmark

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 05:41:55 AM »
Lance, my son was an infantryman and I'm sure he would do more than chuckle; probably berate me as an Air Force 'pogue'  ;)  That's okay since I would remind him that I never had to sleep in a shallow hole  ;D  Actually I consider myself very lucky and have great respect for the infantry.  It's hard to imagine a tougher job.
Mark Dickinson
USAF, Retired

Offline DennisB

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 03:13:36 PM »
Mark:  Good advice above and excellent choice in the .270.  You know, Jack O'Conner the .270 proponent, was born in the Arizona Territory-  For my two cents, get a couple of boxes of 130 grainers and go to it.
Sounds like you're not far from Sierra Vista/Ft Huachuca.  I was stationed at D-M for four years back in the early '70s and married a gal from Carmen whose great-grandfather ran a freight wagon between Douglas & Benson.  One of the first things I did was get a National Forest map set.  The Coronado forest is fragmented all over the south part of the state.  Lots of miles of back roads out there, open to the public.   My favorite camping and hunting spots included the Whetstones just north of S-V...  Specifically what was known as French Joe's, just south of the "new" Karchner cavern.  Just get off the highway and  head west up into the mountains.  Most seasons are closed now, but keep an eye out for permit drawing time later this summer.  Get an AZ F&G hunting booklet and read up on the units and seasons.  Who knows, you might get one of those coveted antelope permits right near Sonoita--then you can put that .270 to work! 
Dennis In Ft Worth

Offline azmark

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 03:35:42 PM »
Dennis, I am a bit over 15 mi. south of Sierra Vista.  And yes, I want to try for an antelope.  I've downloaded the guide as well as the antelope and elk book.  Next step is the National Forestry service for maps.  The office is right on my way home.

I think I'm going to google Jack O'Connor.  I keep hearing about him.
Mark Dickinson
USAF, Retired

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 12:41:35 PM »
Get ready for a bazillion hits on Jack O'Connor!  Some "light" reading before bedtime.

Offline Couger

• Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2012, 10:42:42 AM »
I decided on a Savage model 10 in .270 Win.  Thanks for the input on my previous topic.
Now, since I'm new to hunting, I'd like to pick some brains and figure out how to prepare myself.  It goes without saying that I need to get familiar and proficient with my weapon. 
Should I figure out where I want to hunt and spend time getting familiar with the area?  I'm trying to find someone to help me learn how to find game.
Should I start by reading a book so I know the right questions to ask?  I'm kind of a book guy, so that's my first instinct.  Any suggestions?

Some good suggestions have been made, but do you know anyone who could show you the ropes?