Author Topic: Unknown gun  (Read 787 times)

Offline Artilleryman

• Trade Count: (0)
Unknown gun
« on: March 04, 2012, 01:27:44 PM »
I was sent the following images of an unknown gun, and asked what it is.  I know that it is similar to the Tappey & Lumsden revolving gun found on page 148 of Warren Ripley's "Artillery & Ammunition of the Civil War".   No dimensions were sent along with this images.  Neither was the location.  The color in the prints is somewhat off, but I don't think that's a problem.  I would imagine that this is a one of a kind experimental gun.  Anyone have any ideas as to what it is?

Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Re: Unknown gun
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 02:50:19 PM »
It looks like it's on a military post/base. 

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 03:13:48 PM »
It looks like it's on a military post/base.

Ft. Benning to be exact.

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 03:08:44 AM »
What is the breech made of? or is it just painted silver for contrast?
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Max Caliber

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 03:27:24 AM »
Sure has a Whitworth look about it - bore, trunnion ring, and etc. Looks British.
Max

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 03:49:19 AM »
What is the breech made of?
Bronze

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 05:03:34 AM »
It would be interesting to see it with the breech open.  I would like to know if the breech cylinder is a hollow tube, loaded from the rear or a closed mug type, loaded from the front, or solid.  Also, where's the ignition?

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 12:16:38 PM »
Just wondering, looking at the bottom of the breech, outside on the lower back end, there appears to be a square extension which reminds me of the end of the crankshaft of a Model "T" engine. Could a handle have fit over that to "crank" the lower roller up or down to leverage the powder chamber into place and hold it securely? Crank from left to right to raise and lock in, then after firing, replace handle and crank from right to left to lower and release....Just a random thought. BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 12:19:54 PM »
Hey, Dom...looks like this would be a neat mini cannon your so good at making...
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 02:37:16 PM »
Revolver gun.  Small bronze cylinder at bottom is a cover for drive pinion, handle allows it to be opened like a cylinder-top desk for cleaning, lubrication.  Driven by square crank fitting at rear.  Pinion engages ring gear which encircles the cylinder containing at least three chambers, like revolver cylinder.  Percussion nipples are on rear of cylinder, cylinder is inside the visible bronze housing/dust+rain cover.  Complete housing containing cylinder was removeable for reloading, by handle attached to the projection with hole which you can see in the photo.  Extra cylinders would be available and kept loaded.  The slot in the rear of the breech had spring-loaded pawl which engaged aligment slot in rear of cylinder when chamber aligned with bore, press to disengage in order to rotate crank and bring next chamber into aligment with bore for firing.  Hammer at rear fires caps.  Hammer and pawl/pawl spring are missing.

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 03:26:34 PM »
I had a feeling that you would have the information on this gun cannonmn.  Who made it?

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 03:52:31 PM »
Who made it?

Good question, if I ever knew I can't remember now.  I will post that info if I either remember or find it in notes or literature.

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 04:13:35 PM »
You are such a great resource for this board.  Thanks

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let them get just a little closer...
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012, 05:09:29 AM »
So we're talking about the biggest baddest six shooter around?  That's some cannon!
America has no native criminal class except Congress.   Sam Clemens

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2012, 05:24:31 AM »
So we're talking about the biggest baddest six shooter around?  That's some cannon!
No it's a single shot side swinging breech if you look at the design the pivot pin is in the bottom section the ring on the side was probably for some sort of opening and locking set up.... I doubt it was a very sucessful design due to gas escaping there is no provision for sealing it by  the looks of how things are set up....
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium