Author Topic: Better way to use a Lee case trimmer.  (Read 1507 times)

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
Better way to use a Lee case trimmer.
« on: March 05, 2012, 10:27:10 AM »
A better way to use the Lee case trimmer
Lee reloading equipment is noted for an innovative approach to low cost reloading.  I’m very happy with their primer tool and their case trimmer is outstanding. I have an RCBS trimmer but it is seldom used because the Lee trimmer is so quick and easy. There is nothing to set up, nothing to adjust or misadjust, simply select the proper shell holder and case length gage and start trimming. Turning the trimmer by hand can be a bit slow, tiresome and hard on the fingers but with a drill press or hand drill it is fast and painless.  Lee recognized the advantage of turning their hand tool into a power tool but they went about it bassackward. They had the notion of turning the case and shell holder in a drill, bad idea. If the case slips slightly off center of the shell holder it oscillates wildly making it impossible to work with. Even if all goes well it requires waiting for the drill to stop spinning before removing the trimmed case and inserting a new one, very slow.  It makes much more sense to spin the cutter and hold the shell holder stationary.
To accomplish that I have attached the case lock stud to an large wooden drawer pull with two sides flattened for easy handling. I can chuck the cutter in my drill press on low speed and just let it run non-stop through the whole trimming operation. If you don’t have a drill press a cordless hand drill works fine too, though you may have to reduce the diameter of the upper end of the cutter to fit a 3/8” chuck.
The first photo shows a cutter ground down to a 3/8” chuck, another cutter shortened and with a crank brazed on for easy hand turning, which is nearly as quick and easy as a power drill, then an unmodified cutter. Next is the shell holder lock stud I have adapted of easy holding while trimming with my drill press and an unmodified lock stud.
The last photo shows the trimmer at work.
 A better way to use the Lee case trimmer
Lee reloading equipment is noted for an innovative approach to low cost reloading.  I’m very happy with their primer tool and their case trimmer is outstanding. I have an RCBS trimmer but it is seldom used because the Lee trimmer is so quick and easy. There is nothing to set up, nothing to adjust or misadjust, simply select the proper shell holder and case length gage and start trimming. Turning the trimmer by hand can be a bit slow, tiresome and hard on the fingers but with a drill press or hand drill it is fast and painless.  Lee recognized the advantage of turning their hand tool into a power tool but they went about it bassackward. They had the notion of turning the case and shell holder in a drill, bad idea. If the case slips slightly off center of the shell holder it oscillates wildly making it impossible to work with. Even if all goes well it requires waiting for the drill to stop spinning before removing the trimmed case and inserting a new one, very slow.  It makes much more sense to spin the cutter and hold the shell holder stationary.
To accomplish that I have attached the case lock stud to an large wooden drawer pull with two sides flattened for easy handling. I can chuck the cutter in my drill press on low speed and just let it run non-stop through the whole trimming operation. If you don’t have a drill press a cordless hand drill works fine too, though you may have to reduce the diameter of the upper end of the cutter to fit a 3/8” chuck.
The first photo shows a cutter ground down to a 3/8” chuck, another cutter shortened and with a crank brazed on for easy hand turning, which is nearly as quick and easy as a power drill, then an unmodified cutter. Next is the shell holder lock stud I have adapted of easy holding while trimming with my drill press and an unmodified lock stud.
The last photo shows the trimmer at work.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Better way to use a Lee case trimmer.
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 11:31:15 AM »
Or just do it the other way around, Lee makes the cutter with a ball grip handle.  ;)

Tim

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/136199/lee-case-trimmer-cutter-with-ball-grip

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline coyotejoe

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 03:56:14 PM »
That is what I referred to as bassackward. Turning the case is problematic because the case will slip off center of the shell holder and then oscillate wildly, impossible to work with and dangerous to try to work with. By turning the cutter it makes no difference if the case slips a bit, so long as the case is in the holder at all it will still trim just fine. In fact in some instances I have dispensed with the shell holder, just holding the case by hand down tight against the flat surface of my vise with the cutter in my cordless drill.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline goodconcretecolor

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 09:54:19 AM »
The regular cutter fits very nicely in my 1/2" drill with no modification. How ever, I have never had the oscillating problem. I use a variable speed drill and keep rpms low. It is also quick to chamfer and lightly touch it with 0000 steel wool to remove sizing lube.

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 11:24:27 AM »
 use caution when using a Lee trimmer. At high rpm you CAN "drill" into the base! This destroys the preset trim limit.

Offline rbursek

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 12:43:31 PM »
CJ, how did you mount the case/shell holder in the drawer pull? I agree with you Lee makes some nice stuff and cheap, put there scale is a pain, powder measure is nice, I have there stuff, presses good, case trimmer fool proof, dies are nice, and the hand primer set the standard back in the 70's when they had the only one.  A cheap bench top drill press, and some imagination can make a much cheaper case prep station then the reloading companies sell and you still have the drill press! Thanks for the info!!
Bob
too many calibers, not enough hunting seasons

Offline rbursek

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 01:01:40 PM »
Yesterday I  was at Menards, a mid west big box home improvement store to get a compound miter saw and happen to see a bench top drill press, when I reloaded in the 70 to early 90's I wanted one for case prep, since the power stations where not made then. Just called them 69.95, 1/2 chuck and 5 speeds, most likely a sleeve bearing shaft but for my limited use it will out last me! Will get it tomorrow! Thanks CJ!
Bob
too many calibers, not enough hunting seasons

Offline coyotejoe

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 02:28:02 PM »
Once you have a drill press you'll find so many uses for it you'll wonder how you ever got along without it. ;D

Offline 52bagman

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 02:52:06 PM »
Get a Lee Zip Trim and the adjustable chuck, three pulls and your done.  I've done the drill press several different ways and the Zip is easier and faster. Cheap too !!!!

Offline schuetzen

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 04:34:14 PM »
Get a Lee Zip Trim and the adjustable chuck, three pulls and your done.  I've done the drill press several different ways and the Zip is easier and faster. Cheap too !!!!

I've noticed a similar problem decribed by Coyotejoe with my cases not stayiing on center and then have to wait for the drill to stop to realign it, also my variable speed electric drill is difficult to run consistant at slow speeds.

The "Lee Zip Trim" looks to do the job nicely and doesn't require power tools.  Found this video on Youtube...

Trimming Cases with Lee Zip Trim and Case Length Gauge
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70xRSxqNsRs
‎Is it really Zombie Max, if it's not .357 Max?

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 04:57:01 PM »
I just started using the 3-jaw chuck in my drill works much nicer and no spin-outs.  I ruined a few rims trying to go too fast the other way.  Since the chuck, none.  ;)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline cudatruck

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 05:23:25 PM »
I used mine to recess the crown on a H & R 357 barrel

Offline dave29

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (93)
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2012, 07:18:47 AM »
I used mine to recess the crown on a H & R 357 barrel

Please explain.  :o

Offline cudatruck

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 05:51:01 AM »
chucked the trimmer in the drill kept it square with the muzzle and let it cut a really nice recess in the end of the barrel. then chamferred with stones and a little sandpaper. touched up with a little cold blue. worked great. good use of an inexpensive tool.

Offline Troyboy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (41)
  • Work more talk less
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 01:51:29 PM »
I chuck my case trimmers in the mini lathe. A mini lathe is the best case prep center ever devised.
.204 .22lr .22wm .25acp .223 5.56 .243 .25-06 6.5x55  .308  .300wbymag  7.5x54  7.62x25 7.62x39  338-06  9x19 .38spl  9x18 .45acp . 45-70 .500s&w 12rfl 12smb 20smb  .45lc 410smb .22hornet .280AI    Ask not what your country can do for you BUT what can YOU do for your country