Author Topic: '51 Navy groups!  (Read 1201 times)

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
'51 Navy groups!
« on: March 06, 2012, 07:04:43 AM »
And groups good!!!  ;D

I took it to the farm this weekend and finally got to shoot for a group at 25 yards.  New Ampco nipples and RWS 1065 (#11) caps, 20 gr. FFFG, felt overpowder wad greased with Jawja tofu's lube, .380 balls from my newly Lee-mented mould...  :)  Only thing I forgot to do was make sure the sprue was flat spot up.   :(

With an offhand two handed hold and my old eyes guessing at hammer notch and front sight alignment I managed a 2.5 inch ( /-) 6 shot group that hit POA!   :o

Now that may not be much for you more experienced pistolaros, but for me it was GREAT!!   ;D

I just hope my '61 Navy does as well with 20 gr...   :-\  No matter, I'm gonna make up some six packs of combustible cartridges using the above load and that will be the standard fare for those 2 revolvers!  No more messing around!   ;)
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
Re: '51 Navy groups!
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 02:40:46 PM »
Congrats man, what distance were you shooting at?  2.5" is real good for the hammer notch aiming at 25 yards.  ;)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline guzzijohn

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 03:24:15 AM »
Atlaw,
I had a fairly cheap 1851 replica back in the 70s. Was one of the most accurate hand guns I have shot without target sites. Of course back then I had very young eyes to help out. Good shooting! Were your hits close to POA?
GuzziJohn

Offline yellowtail3

• Oh father of the four winds, fill my sails!
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 11:16:42 AM »
How long does it take to reload that thing?
Jesus said we should treat other as we'd want to be treated... and he didn't qualify that by their party affiliation, race, or even if they're of diff religion.

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 05:19:27 AM »
Congratulations Richard, that's good shootin' with or without the handicap of stock sights and especially for a first try with an arbitrary load. Tinkering with the powder charge a little and getting those sprues all up and centered might do even better. But in offhand shooting I can't tell the difference between a 1" grouping load and a 3" grouper, both shoot better than I can hold.  ;D
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 06:55:14 AM »
Were your hits close to POA?

Right at POA at 25 yards!  That tickled me as much if not more then the size of the group!   ;D  As I remember my '61 Navy shoot pretty high...  :(

How long does it take to reload that thing?

A lot longer then dropping bullets into a cylinder through a gate that's for sure.   :(   Ease and speed of reloading has been a concern since I started shooting these things.  I don't know why...  :-\   They ain't been any yankee cavalry or infantry in my back yard since '64.   ::)

Right now dumping the correct powder charge into the cylinder is easy with my new 20 gr. measure, a 30 carbine case epoxied to a 30-06 handle, and a lubed felt wad is quicker then greasing over the chamber mouths.

So lessee here...  that comes out to scoop 6 times, pour 6 times, plug 6 times, seat 6 times and cap 6 times for each reload.   :-\

Now, some time back I figured I could do better then that so I have loaded individual powder charges into nitrated paper.  Then I only have to drop 6 times, plug 6 times, seat 6 times, and cap 6 times...  :-\

My goal is to be able to cut that down to dropping 6 times, seating 6 times and capping 6 times!   ;D  You know, the charge, wad and ball all together in a combustible wrapper.   :D  Imma gonna try that this weekend!   ;D
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline m-g Willy

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 05:53:59 PM »
I've got the Uberti 51 NAVY too.
My load can put all shots in a 2" group at 25 yds if I do my part.
That's as good as I can do with even mybest S&Ws
My load is enough powder to just seat the ball below the face of the cylinder.
I had to cut down the hammer notch a bit to get it to hit POA .
I also squared up the notch.
Along with cutting the sides on the front sight   so it looks like a post from the rear but still has the same profile from a side view.
It has taken over most of my small game hunting jobs that a S&W 17 did for years!