Author Topic: Nosler 130Gr Accubond  (Read 488 times)

Offline Rol Page

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Nosler 130Gr Accubond
« on: March 07, 2012, 03:32:53 AM »
It appears that I found a "sweet spot" in the loading of the 130gr Accubonds for my .260 Remington rifle on the Encore.  The spot appears to be between 45.8 and 46.2 grains of Reloder 19.  The attached target was shot @ 100yds from a bench, a single shot with each powder charge.  My scope is a Leupold VariX III 2.5x8 set on 8.

Any observations will be most appreciated.
NRA and NYS Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

Offline sk330lc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (55)
Re: Nosler 130Gr Accubond
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 11:54:40 AM »
Looks like a sweet spot indeed.  :)   I would load some more and confirm it again though.
Be True to What You Hunt!!!!!
SUPPORT THE GBO SERVER
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.0/topicseen.html

Offline Rock Home Isle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • This is Rock Home Isle
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 02:36:20 AM »
It appears that I found a "sweet spot" in the loading of the 130gr Accubonds for my .260 Remington rifle on the Encore.  The spot appears to be between 45.8 and 46.2 grains of Reloder 19.  The attached target was shot @ 100yds from a bench, a single shot with each powder charge.  My scope is a Leupold VariX III 2.5x8 set on 8.

Any observations will be most appreciated.

Hey Rol...this is looking pretty interesting.

From the image that you posted...the grouping that you've outlined in yellow looks real nice. If it were me, this is what I'd do to verify the results.
Go through your empty cases and weigh them out into groups. Try to get at least 10 cases (15 cases would be better, with the same number of firings) that are within 5 grains of each other by weight. Then load up 5 rounds each at both the 45.8 gr charge and the 46.2 gr charge.  I would also load a 3rd set of 5 shells using a 46.0 gr load...This will put a load in the middle of your range and a nice even 46.0 gr load so easy to remember. Most of the time this probably won't make a huge difference in shot groupings at 100 yards, but you never know. My .308 will go from 1/2 inch to 1/4 inch groups with a 3 tenths grain change. I've never seen that in any of my other guns, but I've run enough rounds through that .308 that its not a fluke, its just a charactoristic of that gun.

Try to go to the range on a day when the shooting conditions are as near ideal as possible. This will eliminate many variables. Shoot 3 shot groups of each of your loads. The 2 extra shells of each loading will be in case you feel that you pulled a shot or 2. If all the shots feel good, then make them 5 shot groups.

I would suggest shooting each of the groups from as solid a rest as possible. (I use a Carlson Lead Sled...very solid...shooter issues are greatly eliminated with this rest.) Shoot each grouping on a seprate target...clearly lable each target as to shooting conditions. Date; Time of Day; Temperature; Wind Conditions are the main biggies...I also like to include Relative Humidity.

I would take my cleaning kit to the range and clean the gun thoroughly between each group. And allow maybe a further 10 minute break before shooting further groups...to let the barrel cool down as much as possible. (Cold Bore Shot Data...know where that 1st shot of each group hit on the target in relation to the other shots in the group...I take a series of photos with my cell phone and save the images to a data file on that gun. Over time, I know exactly where that Cold Bore Shot will go. If you have a rifle that puts the cold bore right into the group with the rest of them, keep that gun forever.)

Take your time and enjoy and don't forget to post us your results.

Very Cool  8)
“Lost?? Hmmm... been fearsome confused for a month or two, but I ain't never been lost!”
Henry Frap the "Mountain Men"

“Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Mother Gue said to me; ‘Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men.’  "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline.”
Del Gue in "Jeremiah Johnson"

Offline Rol Page

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Nosler 130Gr Accubond - Update
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 12:08:08 PM »
It was a picture perfect range morning today, but the results are very discouraging.   I had loaded 130 Accubonds with 46.0 and 46.4 gr. of Reloder 19 and otherwise they were the same as earlier loads that looked promising.  The barrel was cleaned and dried with patches and the "groups" were about 4" higher than the posted target "sweet spot"..and averaged in excess of 2".

I have to purchase more Accubonds before I can resume further testing.  As an interim I may try the Sierra 120 ProHunter.
NRA and NYS Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

Offline Rock Home Isle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • This is Rock Home Isle
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 02:52:12 AM »
I'm sorry to hear of your setback...

And boy do I understand your frustrations. Reloading is a game of tinkering.  8)
“Lost?? Hmmm... been fearsome confused for a month or two, but I ain't never been lost!”
Henry Frap the "Mountain Men"

“Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Mother Gue said to me; ‘Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men.’  "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline.”
Del Gue in "Jeremiah Johnson"