Author Topic: Casting Bullets down and dirty?  (Read 758 times)

Offline New Hampshire

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Casting Bullets down and dirty?
« on: January 25, 2004, 09:37:52 AM »
OK, I just got a Hastings barrel for my 12ga and am looking to start loading my own slugs.  Im planning on getting the Lee and Lyman sabot molds.  What I am looking to do is cast these slugs as cheap as possible, meaning I dont want to spend $40-$200 on a furnace.  I cant justify the expense when Im only looking at shooting maybe 50 slugs a month if that.  So Im thinking of just using a heating source with one of the steel pots made for casting purposes (like those available from Lee or RCBS.)  So here goes the questions:
Can I use a portable electric burner unit or is a camp stove the best option (I dont really want to keep buying those little propane dealies  :grin: )
Can anyone give me some suggestions or tips for this adventure?
I am also looking at a custom barrel for an Encore in .50/70 Gov and MAY (not positive yet) look at casting for that too.  That would also be a low volume casting project.
So can anyone give me some help?
Thanks,
Brian M.
NRA Life Member
Member Londonderry Fish and Game Club
Member North American Fishing Club
Member North American Hunting Club
Member New Hampshire Historical Society
Member International Blackpowder Hunting Association

Offline Forest T

cheep casting
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2004, 09:59:21 AM »
you will need a heat sorce colman camp stove not propain but gass a thermometer would help a stanless steel pot do not use aul. pot I had one blow out on me one time and a latel is the cheepest way to go I have all but the thermometer I would sell you but you would have to have the stove fixed probly seals in the tank if you want give me a pm back Forest T

Offline Cheyenne Ranger

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2004, 02:54:40 PM »
Lee makes a nice 10# pot that isn't too expensive.  Check midwayusa.com.  I cast the 1 oz slugs for some buddies.  The Lee mold really uses up the lead--for that reason plus all the bullets I do I have the Lee 20# bottom pour.  It's about $60 and works for me.

Not sure if a pot plus dipper would have enough lead for the job that is about the cheapest way.

CR
SASS 48747L
RO II
Thunder River Renegades
SBSS #1170--OGB

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2004, 03:19:52 PM »
I agree with CH at least buy a cheap lee pot for the actual casting. Its alot easier to control temp. Clean your lead in a seperate pot to keep the casting pot clean.
blue lives matter

Offline New Hampshire

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2004, 01:43:09 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  I suppose $40 is not that much to pay.  I should just quit being THAT cheap  :-D .  Now that I think about it, the bottom pour designed pots might make things easier than ladeling that much lead into the mold.
Thanks again,
Brian M.
NRA Life Member
Member Londonderry Fish and Game Club
Member North American Fishing Club
Member North American Hunting Club
Member New Hampshire Historical Society
Member International Blackpowder Hunting Association

Offline Black Jaque Janaviac

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2004, 04:18:29 AM »
I do a fair volume of casting, but I'm still a tightwad. :-)

For $8 I bought a Century propane stove.  A couple bucks at Goodwill or Salvation Army can get you a stainless steel pot (or 2) and a good soup ladle.  

The propane stove is designed such that it rest directly on top of the little propane canisters.  However, since I do a considerable volume, I felt justified in getting a 20# propane tank and an adapter hose.  This pays for itself because refilling a propane tank is much cheaper than the little bottles.  I set the propane stove up between two cinder blocks.

I've seen adapters that allow you to refill the little propane bottles from a 20# tank.  You could get one of those then mooch a little bit of propane from a buddy who has a gas grill.

The pot is huge.  So casting big 400 - 500 grain slugs is not a problem.

I use a second pot for cleaning the scrap lead and cast into muffin-pan ingots.
Black Jaque Janaviac - Dat's who!

Hawken - the gun that made the west wild!