Author Topic: .270 light loads  (Read 1202 times)

Offline azmark

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
.270 light loads
« on: March 10, 2012, 05:40:01 PM »
I have seen a couple of light loads for .270 Win in Hodgdon's load data, but I wonder how they work.  In particular, I'm curious about using Trail Boss.  I would like to use a light load to shoot rabbits and still be able to eat them.  I don't have a .22.
Mark Dickinson
USAF, Retired

Offline timothy

• Contributor
Re: .270 light loads
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 08:02:16 PM »
I shot 3 rabbits today with  90gr .270's, while my load is by no means mild the recoil is indeed. I dont have a recoil pad at all on my rifle either so if your wanting low recoil the 90's are a pleasure to shoot at any velocity. Good luck

Offline azmark

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 05:35:36 AM »
Recoil is not the issue.  I just want there to be something left to eat :) 
Mark Dickinson
USAF, Retired

Offline huntducks

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 09:02:06 AM »

Then shoot them in the head.
Remember it's where the first bullet goes out of a cold barrel that counts most.

Offline mattmillerrx

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 09:33:07 AM »
Trail boss will work for you.  You will be able to get a load in the 1000 fps area.  The question on destruction can likely be done with bullet selection. 

I would like give a try to the 90 grain HP previously mentioned.  It is very destructive at high velocity but should be ok at 22 LR velocities. I tried finding a cast bullet with flat nose and see molds for it but none commercially available that I can find.  Next, I would try a soft point os some kind. 

You will just have to do a little testing and see what works.

Offline mattmillerrx

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 09:33:44 AM »
Trail boss will work for you.  You will be able to get a load in the 1000 fps area.  The question on destruction can likely be done with bullet selection. 

I would like give a try to the 90 grain HP previously mentioned.  It is very destructive at high velocity but should be ok at 22 LR velocities. I tried finding a cast bullet with flat nose and see molds for it but none commercially available that I can find.  Next, I would try a soft point os some kind. 

You will just have to do a little testing and see what works.

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 10:09:26 AM »
azmark,

I have developed "reduced" loads for my wife and a friend's daughters in the .270, and they should do great for your need.

Get ahold of a copy of the Lyman cast bullet manuel, and there are a bunch of loads listed there at reduced velocity.

What I have done is pick the lightest jacketed bullet I could get, 100 or 110gr and I believe I was using RedDot for the last batch I did up.

By using the Lyman info, you could also use heavier bullets is that was your desire.

I have had no problem using the Lyman cast bullet info with jacketed bullets, but my goal was never to load at higher velocity levels.

I have plenty of other powders to go to if that is the need.

Keep em Coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
300 Winmag

Offline swifty22

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 05:16:17 PM »
Az- The Speer loading books have reduced loads for the 270 (and a lot of other ctgs.) using bullets from 100 to 150 gr in the 1800 to 2000 fps range. I would think a hunting bullet at 1800 would work well for you and not expand and ruin meat as well as being quit flat shooting but you MUST have a good back stop-Muddy

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 03:25:51 PM »

Then shoot them in the head.

What he said.
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline nitesite

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 04:25:50 PM »
How much does a combination of rifle bullets, primers and powder cost compared to buying loaded .22 rimfire ammo?

Even if i used my own cast bullets it seems a bit contradictory.
Police Officer
US Army Vet
Reloader
Bullet Caster
Dog Lover

Offline mattmillerrx

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 04:44:25 PM »
I ordered some 90 grain HP's to play with.  I think I am going to do them over Trail Boss and see how they do.

How much does a combination of rifle bullets, primers and powder cost compared to buying loaded .22 rimfire ammo?

Even if i used my own cast bullets it seems a bit contradictory.

Hard to put a price on having fun.  I see your point and agree you could pay for a .22 LR real quick with the cost of these rounds.  I almost posted the same in my first post, but figured the poster had good reason for not going that route. 

There is something to be said for having one rifle and making it work for you.  I will likely use these rounds to have with me while hunting large game, it makes it easy to get a little food for camp while waiting on the prize.  My .270 is a single shot so switching loads is as easy as reloading.  The other purposes of these will be just plain fun and letting the kids shoot dads big gun...they love it when I let them do that.

Offline nitesite

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 06:00:05 PM »
That was a great post, Matt.

Excellent thought.     :)
Police Officer
US Army Vet
Reloader
Bullet Caster
Dog Lover

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2012, 05:20:53 AM »

I was just thinking that No 1 shot is .300Are you going to carry two scopes at the time of big game hunting? One zeroed for the light load, the other for serious stuff?

I was just checking on buck shot size.

No 1 is .300"
No 2 is .270

With the no 1 you could force the pellet through a sizer to .277 or .278
The No two would not get much spin but as a roundball ith may not matter.
Loading this deep enough into the neck with a bit of lube over it might be something to play with.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline mattmillerrx

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2012, 12:35:22 PM »

Are you going to carry two scopes at the time of big game hunting? One zeroed for the light load, the other for serious stuff?

I have done this with other rifles and have used two methods:

(1) play with the velocities to find a 25 yard zero with your light load that is a 200 yard zero for your big game load.  And in some cases adjust the big game zero to 100 or 150 yards instead of 200.

-This one take a little work to figure out and the load that zero's for you may not be the best shooting load.

(2) I use the scopes with the multiple aim points in them (the ones you get 200, 250, 300 yard marks for you big game loads).  You simple make a mental note of which aim point is on at 25 yards and even 50 yards.

-This has become my preferred method and is what I will use on my 270.  I have a Burris scope on it with their ballistic plex reticle.  Actually this method loops in method one to some degree, but you have more points to work with.  This option also gives me some flexibility with my big game zero as well.  So the cross hair will be on at 100 instead of 200 or what ever is needed to make the combo work.  I don't remember how this scope works but I have some that change the spacing of  points with changes in magnification...others don't change with spacing. That further allows you to play...you just have to know what power to set your scope on.

To your point my winchester 94 I have a side mount scope on it sighted in with deer loads and can still use the open sights which are sighted in to 35 yards with my light load (that setting allow hits closer in and a very small hold over at 50).  Ironically, without trying the scope sighted to the deer load at (cannot remember if I sighted it at 125 or 150, I will have to check my notes) 125 yards shoots the light trail-boss load to point of aim at 25 yards.

I have also gotten lucky with one rifle and can use the point where the cross hair goes from thick to thin as the light load point of aim and the cross hair for the biggame load.

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2012, 11:05:55 AM »
 All this works well as long as your POI doesn't wander of sideways. ;)
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.