Author Topic: Finallly a shooter modle 14!!  (Read 529 times)

Offline HappyHunter

• Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
Finallly a shooter modle 14!!
« on: January 25, 2004, 12:13:02 PM »
I found an old Smith at a local gun shop,  It was labeled a modle 10.  It had a lanyard and a 5 inch barrel and was callibered in a 38 S&W.  It was a pre 11 Victory modle for the british commonwealth.  The condition  was poor to fair with a reblue and non Smith copy grips.  

Well I have no use for this gun and am not into wallhangers so I took it accross town to another gun shop and traded it even out the door for a Pre modle 14 with all the goodies completly stock.  Serial number says it was made in 1950.  

My new 14 which is in 98 percent condition ended up costing me $150.

The only flaw in new gun is the previous owner had his name engraved on barrel.  I will live with this unless anybody has a suggestion to remove it.  This gun will be a target shooter.  Now for Herrett grips.  

Fred
Ineedannudernewgun.
NRA Lifetime Member.

Offline John Traveler

• Trade Count: (0)
S&W pre-M14
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2004, 10:30:46 AM »
Congratulations, HH!

I too have a pre-Model 14 S&W.  The workmanship and finish are fantastic on these older Smiths.  They are much better made than the guns of a generation later!

In reloading for this gun, I take care to shoot only 148 WC/3.0 Bulleye or 158 RN/3.5 g Bullsey lead-bullet loads duplicating factory velocity.  With these loads, the gun should stay tight and accurate indefinitely.

A veteran PPC gunsmith advised me to avoid shooting hot jacketed ammo or reloads in this older S&W.  He stated (and I confirmed in S&W history research) that at one time, for several years after WWII S&W used a mild grade of automotive steel in their K-frame revolver barrels. Continuous shooting of hot jacketed loads can split the forcing cones in these barrels.  This applies to almost all the pre-model number small and medium frame S&W except the Magnums.

HTH
John
John Traveler

Offline HappyHunter

• Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
Finallly a shooter modle 14!!
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2004, 02:43:28 PM »
John,

Thanks for the information.  I intend to give this gun a diet of 148 gr. lead hollow base wad cutters over Bullseye, AA#2 or AA#5.  Bullseye seems to be the top choice of those who are in the know, I will be loading tonight for shooting this thursday.

Thanks again for your response!

Fred
Ineedannudernewgun.
NRA Lifetime Member.