Author Topic: What is your favorite holster?  (Read 1190 times)

Offline slickest

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
What is your favorite holster?
« on: March 13, 2012, 09:56:21 AM »
Im in the process of purchasing a glock 23. Along with the purchase im going to need a good holster. As of right now I dont plan on CC because I dont have the permit yet and not sure when I will get one. This holster will be for standard field use/ target practice. What holsters do you find the most comfortable for a long period of use? I have been told to stay away from the drop leg holster and stick with a standard hip holster.

So what type and brand of holster do you use and why? I am also left handed if thats going to make a difference.

Offline NickSS

• Contributor
Re: What is your favorite holster?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 12:00:19 AM »
For just carry in the field I like cheap uncle Mikes nylon hip holsters.  They are light weight, cheap and fine for carrying a hand gun out in the field when hunting or just walking around.  For CCW I prefer a good Kydex or leather holster with some sort of fast release retention feature. I use a Kydex paddle holster for my glock 17 for this purpose made by Kydex.

Offline Pinkerton

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 08:41:13 AM »
+ 1 on the Uncle Mike's, good cheap usable hoster for what you're looking for.

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 01:45:24 PM »
I like STIFF leather. For field use you might find a paddle holster will fill the bill nicely. They go on and come off fairly easily and are pretty stable, do your research of course.

I would further recommend a good gun belt from a reputable source. Honestly I would get the belt before the holster. No holster will make a good belt out of a lousy one. A good belt can make a good holster out of a lousy one.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline the jigger

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 11:06:12 AM »
I carried a Glock 23 in a Don Hume JIT slide for eight years. I now have the same for my 1911 Commander.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!
IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!!

Offline irold

• Trade Count: (22)
  • A Real Regular
  • "Live today , for tomorrow may never come"
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 02:28:23 PM »
Over the years I've used " Hunter " brand holsters for general carry.  They're qualtity leather , made in the USA.  And they're reasonably priced , considering they're leather.  Not sure about a Glock ...know they make one for a 1911 .... I have one.

I like the Uncle Mikes holsters also....have several.  Perfer the Hunter tho.

regards , irold

Offline jimster

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 10:28:38 AM »
I like pancake style holsters, leather ones.  Out of everything I have tried the pancake type seem to be the most comfortable for all day long, they seem to spread the weight out a little more, they keep the gun snug naturally when your belt is tightened up, they ride close to your body, and most ride high so you can cover them with a shirt or jacket should you want to conceal it.  I don't like retainer straps on a holster, I've never needed one on a well made pancake holster. 
Jim

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 11:01:39 AM »
Galco makes a great holster for a Glock. Its leather ( I admit a dislike for holsters out of anything but leather ) . I ride a 4wheeler and use a sholder rig alot , same hunting it works well.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 03:51:20 AM »
For any scabbard, I go for looks first. Since I am not like most around here (I don't wear a holster for carry most all of the time) I get purpose built holsters like those posted below.
I chose a 3inch belt and holster because it is a high rise. I don't really need a drop loop because my days at fast draw NEVER WERE.
The belt is comfortable and doesn't pull the pants down---really it is a service rig without the handcuff pouch and other riggin. Rides easy in a car or walking. All the leater carvings are for fun and are pretty to me.
The other one is a shoulder holster and is gaining great favor with me---it is Comfortable.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline 3030guy

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 03:30:29 PM »
The Simply Rugged Cude works very well for the Glock 23.

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2012, 05:57:51 AM »
Don Hume JIT ... one for everything except SA revolvers
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2012, 06:30:04 AM »
I haven't carried my 23 for exposed, "field" use. But for consealment and comfort on long days I have two I use depending on my clothing and time of year.

Fobus paddle, very comfortable, durable and lite. Light shirt will conseal easily.

The MIC holster. I can conseal the 23 in a T shirt and shorts!!!  Quite comfortable and extremely light weight.

Both holsters are under 30$ ea, so both would be cheaper then most leather rigs suggested.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline damienph

• Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2012, 04:34:04 PM »
I like leather holsters with a top thumb-break strap.  I prefer an OWB belt style to a paddle because they are more comfortable for me.  I have a Galco that I really like.  It is made for my 4" XD40 but it also fits my Sig P6 very well.

I have several of the Fobus holsters, both belt and paddle and they do work very well but I've found that they can be hard on a gun's finish.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either never used one - or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship - Phil Shoemaker

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2012, 06:08:08 PM »
Bianchi Model 7 pancake holster has held my Sig P226 for 21 years and I have a couple more for my S&W Sigma 7L and Sig Pro.
Strong durable, easy to wear, comfortable, holds the gun close and is easy to get the gun in or out.  Thumb break holds the gun securly.  The M19 thumb break is also a good choice.  My P229 has one.
 Oh and I also set up a nylon Bianchi rig for steel compitions for super hot or rainy days.  Same thumb break Model as the model 19 only in ballistic nylon on a quick snap belt with mag holders, a flash light holder, multi tool, ripcord knife and a mini mag flash light.

Offline painted horse

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2012, 08:06:57 AM »
I'll vote with NickSS, if you're just looking for function and not trying to compete in the "really cool looking stuff" category it's pretty hard to beat. The UM nylon holster and belt (you can hang anything you want on it) is che..inexpensive, light weight, very comfortable to wear for long periods (the wide belt is a big help here) durable, and secure. For just bummin around the woods throw a couple mag pouches on it and you're good to go. All that said, I have ONE amongst several holster rigs. It does all the things I mentioned and does it well, but I PREFER a western style rig. But all I carry/own are revolvers. (also you can see by my avatar, nylon doesn't really fit the "look"..(guess we're as bad as the "tacticool" guys in the look department)  like an old packer I know said about usin Mules over Horses, "A mule might make a better pack and ridin animal in the mountains, but it's da## hard to look very dashing when yer ridin a mule"...

Offline slickest

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2012, 08:19:17 AM »
Sorry for no reply back. I kind of forgot I post this here.  ::)  Well I looked at the brands most people suggested and in my price range this is what I came up with. I was trying to stay under $50.00 for now anyways.

fobus roto paddle holster[/size]http://www.fobusholster.com/products...ND-886-21.htmlfobus paddle holsterhttp://www.fobusholster.com/products...ND-82-251.htmlGalco paddle lite holsterhttp://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPG3.as...=3794&GunID=49Galco wraith belt holsterhttp://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPG3.as...=4266&GunID=49last but not leastuncle mikes sidekick holsterhttp://www.unclemikes.com/products/s..._holsters.html

Im really leaning towards the fobus roto paddle holster. I like the idea of the the 360 degree rotation. I also like the Galco paddle lite holster. I know nothing of these holsters and the quality of the holster along with the others listed. Really the only holsters I have used before are the uncle mikes.Thats why im looking for opinions on what you would choose? Like I said this is going to be a field holster, not a cc holster.

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2012, 04:34:17 AM »
I'm not real familiar with the roto. I would suggest trying the thing on and making sure it holds the gun close in to your body. Ideally compare it to one of your other choices. As they get further away the holsters start slapping around on your side, and hanging up on stuff. I have a Fobus paddle and rarely use it because of this.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline 3030guy

• Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2012, 01:57:40 AM »
I avoid holsters with any kind of thumb break for my Glocks, I feel there is too much risk of an accidental discharge when reholstering if the break catches the trigger.

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2012, 08:56:10 PM »
Lobo Gun Leather makes a terrific Tom Threepersons starting at $59.

In the field the most comfortable holster for a 4" medium frame gun is the WWII pilots bandoleer style holster. It's a copy, of course, from Cabela's, but it will really spoil ya!

For your cheap get-r-done holster, the Uncle Mikes.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."