Author Topic: 17 mach 4  (Read 358 times)

Offline sheepman

• Trade Count: (1)
17 mach 4
« on: March 15, 2012, 06:23:21 AM »
I am loading  for contender carbine in 17 mach 4  wondering if any  body has a good load data they would share. I have not had much luck with any loads I have worked with.

Offline Couger

• Trade Count: (77)
Re: 17 mach 4
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 06:59:28 AM »
Quote from: sheepman
I am loading  for contender carbine in 17 mach 4  wondering if any  body has a good load data they would share. I have not had much luck with any loads I have worked with.

Hornady used to feature that round in a couple old manuals!  Find one of those?

On the other hand, the newly 'commercialized' .17 Remington Fireball ..... how do dimensions compare between that and the .17 MachIV?

Seriously I wonder if data wouldn't be interchangeable?  But proceed cautiously until you're sure!!  8)

Offline sheepman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 10:05:11 AM »
The fireball will chamber in my barrel.

Offline Couger

• Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 08:38:21 AM »
Quote from: sheepman
The fireball will chamber in my barrel.

Cool.  Was looking in the Hornady manual 5th ed. last night!  And your .17 Mach IV was the first round listed, with 20 and 25 grain bullets .....

Look on Hornady's site at 'Hornady.com' and see what they list!!??

I could list some data, but never do on the NET.  Actually I'd be surprised if the Hornady tables don't list data you're looking for.  You might also try 'Reloader's Nest dot com' too.

There's an interesting history with the .17 Mach IV, that it "came out" in 1963 one year after Remington introduced the .221FB and XP-100 pistol!  The O'Brien Gun Shop that was in Las Vegas in '63, is given credit for the Mach IV's creation.