Author Topic: Question on the 243  (Read 2112 times)

Offline sja384

• Trade Count: (0)
Question on the 243
« on: March 15, 2012, 06:46:27 PM »
About a month ago I shot a gold medal fallow deer with my 243. I shot him through the lungs twice, and the bullets left a tiny hole going in  and coming out like they failed to expand, which is something I've never had happen with my 243 before. There was no blood where the bullets went in or came out. I was using federal blue box 100 gr. softpoints. I am going hunting for red stag in October and was wondering if the Barnes 85 gr. tsx or the 100 gr. Nosler partition would work well on an animal of this size? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Question on the 243
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 12:15:29 AM »
In my experinence with the barnes bullets they will probably be worse yet. Partitions are never a mistake in my opinon though. How far was that deer away. Seems strange that standard 100 grain federals didnt open up. my favorite bullets in the 243/6mm have allways been the sierra prohunter 100 and then nos bt 100 and the speer hot core 100 flat base. All three of these bullets have killed alot of whitetail for me and have never let me down. .
blue lives matter

Offline hillbill

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 12:21:55 AM »
thats very odd for the 243. ive shot 20 to 30 deer with the 243 and remington 100 grn cor lokt bullets. most of them lung shots. at ranges from 30 yrds to 250 yrds. always the same result. small entrance wound with large exit wound that bleeds profusely. always pleased with the results it gave me. im not familar with the federal bullets at all. you might try the remington bullets.they have a good rep.

Offline Mckie Hollow

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 02:44:48 AM »
Twer Me, Going after Red Stag, I'd be using something a lot bigger.
I airiated a stag with 4 rounds of a 300 Mag. with 180 gr. Partitions before He tipped over. This was a free range wild animal. He took a lot of lead.

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 04:30:50 AM »
I've also shot a few fallow with the 243...pretty big stags (3 with 243 i think)...I've used 95grBTs and 100gr partitions.  I'd recommend the partition.  None fell at the shot and I went on a rant about using a 243 on deer (I'm not in favor...that's my opinion)  I shot one big stag at least 4 times at maybe 40-50 yards in heavy cover.  We tracked it, it would stop, I'd shoot, it would move off again like it wasn't even hit.  When he did finally go down, both of his lungs were mush and his heart was split in half.  Used a BT on that one and all hits were fatal.....I've also shot stag, a 9x8, I would NOT use a .243.....
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 05:57:44 AM »
...................... When he did finally go down, both of his lungs were mush and his heart was split in half.  Used a BT on that one and all hits were fatal..........

If all hits were fatal why didn't he go down, especially with no working lungs and heart??

Would a larger bullet have fared better or "mushed" up the animal better?
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline sja384

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 06:30:20 AM »
Thank you all for taking the time to read this and posting your replies. I was quite surprised that these bullets performed the way they did, as I have shot whitetails with them and they have always left a nice exit hole. This particular deer was shot at 100 yards and the lungs were a little blood shot with the bullet holes going right through them, unlike being turned to soup on other deer I have shot with this load. I think that i will use my 30-06 or inline muzzleloader for the stag. Thank all of you very much for your help. Here is a photo of the deer.

Offline flintlock

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 09:09:33 AM »
Dangifino...

I've killed over 300 deer with a .243 and 15 or so with that Federal load, never had that problem...

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 09:10:37 AM »
Nice deer SJ!  ...and yes...an 06 will be just fine.  Mature reds weigh 400-600..some have been crossed with elk as well so they could be a bit bigger.  Please be sure to post pics!

BBF...the hits were punching right through.  I was amazed that he didn't fall.  He wasn't spooked in the least.  Just hit....meander...hit...meander...hit....meander....  Finally, he just collapsed.  I wonder if he had any idea of what was going on.  His vital organs were destroyed and he kept moving for at least 80 or so yards..never had one act like that.  His ribs had holes like made with high speed drills.  Surprising really.....

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline hillbill

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 02:13:58 PM »
ive shot some deer with the 100 grn core lokts in the shoulders, bad idea. they die so quick their nose will bounce off the ground, but jeez what a mess it makes of the meat!

often a lung shot will bring no reaction from the deer at all. they trot off about 30 yrds and keel over.

for red stag i would go with the 06, i have several. but would not feel undergunned under 200 yrds with the 243.i would definitly choose it over a inline, i have several of those too. and have killed lots of deer with them.

Offline sja384

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 03:09:35 PM »
Thanks drdougrx and hill bill. I will definitely take the 30-06 loaded with Hornady GMX's , because I do not want to take no chances on an animal of that size. I had decided earlier today to leave the inline at home.

Offline Mckie Hollow

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 11:25:12 PM »
Same with Me, Doug. The Stag ( approx.600 lbs.) that I shot was blown to pieces on the inside, but was able to keep going. The Argentinian Guide claimed that it is common and Their Stags are much tougher to put down than an Elk. Said that "De Bull have much stronger blood". Don't know about that, but He carried a 375 H&H and his Son carried a 338 Win. Mag.. Said that My 300 Win. Mag. was a "Goood Calee bur".

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2012, 12:28:48 AM »
  Having passed my 30/30 to a grandson, I'll be using my .243 Handi rifle for deer/bear season this year.  I plan on using 100 gr Nosler partitions.
    Do you suppose it is possible that those bullets came from a defective batch ?  Surely, soft points would normally upset in a deer sized carcase..unless the the guilding jacket was unusually thick..or some other reason.  Perhaps you should contact Federal with the same explanation.  Might be interesting...
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2012, 03:27:38 AM »
Hey Ironglow,

I don't think they were defective. They actually were 95gr Nosler BTs.  I actually don't remember the sequence of where each hit was made.  The first was a heart lung, behind the shoulder, the second def a lung, the third/4th I suspect a combination of each and at least one was a raking shot, right to left, diaphragm to shoulder.  The whole thing only lasted maybe 20 seconds.

I think the 243 is a fine caliber, but for me I'll relegate it to smaller animals than deer...just my preference...your milage may vary!

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2012, 03:39:06 AM »
  Could be, I was only suggesting a possibility, which brings to mind another question ..which my veterinary friend couldn't answer.
  Years ago, I was hunting in a dense hemlock growth (H&R 44 mag).  Seeing deer legs below the lower limbs about 30 yards from me, I waited until I could identify a buck and get a heart shot.  Soon as I could, I put a 240 gr JHP right there..
  The deer didn't move...!   I quickly reloaded and shot for the same placement, whereupon the buck took off, ran about 10 yards an drove into the ground.
  Although I was using irons, I had just checked my 'sight-in' the day before and couldn't believe I had missed..  Imagine my surprise when I found two holes perhaps only 1" apart !
  Why didn't that buck, run, fall, jump, flinch or something ?
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2012, 04:03:42 AM »
It really comes down to one thing. Disconnect the brain with the rest of the body and you get an instant dead animal every time, anything else may or may not, usually the latter more often.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline gunnut69

• Moderators
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2012, 07:39:39 PM »
I shot a rather nice whitetail with a 300 winmag at around 75-90 yards one rainy day. The bullet a 200 grain Speer HotCore landed high in the ribcage at a steep downward angle. The deer turned made an amazing jump across a ditch and left at high speed. Following the prints in the mud, there was no blood, for more than 100 yards and then just on the brush he ran thru. Another 50 yards and found the 140 inch buck. The bullet was located stuck in the white skin on  the inside of the lung cavity. That bullet hand totally exploded, the lungs were demolished and he went 125-150 yards before giving it up. A lung shot almost always is fatal but also almost always takes a while.. I shot a running buck with a 243 and 95 grain Partition one year. The bullet entered the hip and shattered the thigh bone passed over the intestines but split the arteries and veins just under the backbone, penetrated the diaphram and punched thru the shoulder blade.. The buck was in mid jump and never even dropped his tail or staggered.. The went down about 150 yards or so later with NO BLOOD trail at all... I circled and found him but not a tracking job. As was said before unless the brain is disconnected or major bones shattered it ma take a bit to expire.. I shoot Partitions almost exclusively because they always do the same thing and that means they are reliable...
gunnut69--
The 2nd amendment to the constitution of the United States of America-
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2012, 05:22:55 AM »
  Crazy thing with the one I just spoke about..both went through the heart...???

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2012, 08:05:30 AM »
Wanna hunt an animal that's nearly indestructible...head to S TX and hunt nilgai like in my avatar....the damage they can take! 

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2012, 09:23:44 AM »
Wanna hunt an animal that's nearly indestructible...head to S TX and hunt nilgai like in my avatar....the damage they can take!
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

dr dougrx;
   If that critter shown in your avatar is one of those"nilgai" ...they really LOOK tough.. 
I looked at your 'pictures I like'..they are impressive, especially the albino moose. The one that struck me most was the two skeltons...there must be a story !

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2012, 02:42:16 AM »
Those two skeletons came from photos of Pompeii.  I sent to my wife with the caption, "Us after old age!"

Offline wvjoetc

• Trade Count: (34)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2012, 02:53:49 PM »
sja,

Nice buck buddy.  I have hunted WV whitetails for years with my 243, some people say the 243 is not enough for deer but everyone has their opinion I guess.  I've used 100gr Nosler Partitions with no problem, the gun I hunt with most of the time now is a H&R 301 and it loves 80 Speer Spitzers with 41.0 gr of AA3100.  Many will say 80gr but it works for me.  I also like an ol Swedish Mauser 6.5x55 that has been semi-sporterized and is a deer getter also, thats an ol one you don't here much about anymore.

Joe
TC Renegade 50 cal
CVA Bobcat  50 cal
"Here Pilgram skin this'n an I'll get you another"