Author Topic: Nickle brass or brass brass??  (Read 551 times)

Offline 41 magnum

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Avid Poster
Nickle brass or brass brass??
« on: March 17, 2012, 11:44:42 AM »
Is nickle plated brass better or brass brass?
Is one more brittle than the other?
Does one stretch more/sooner?

Have a chance to buy a bunch of either.........

Thanks for any replies

ole John

THE 10 COMMANDMENTS ARE NOT SUGGESTIONS

Maker of trappers tools and gear, have an idea?  Let's talk !

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Nickle brass or brass brass??
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 12:09:18 PM »
Lots of disagreement on the subject. Some feel the plating chips off but I've never had that happen. I've sized some plated cases to the point it wore off the plating over time but no chipping just honest wear.

I don't really have a preference as far as loading or use is concerned except that if you are gonna put them in loops of a belt/holster rig then you want plated for that. I use both with equal satisfaction.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • Sweet Home Alabama
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 12:35:44 PM »
I've not had any problems with either. All these years I've taken 38 and 357 nickle brass for granted as I have so much of it. Then I ended up with some nickle 308 brass and thought, that looks nice. Now I see that Starline has some nickle 45 long colt brass. I gotta own me some of that. Another positive about nickled brass is that it won't discolor as quickly as regular brass if you leave it in leather bullet loops for a while.
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.

Offline swifty22

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 01:10:30 PM »
41- I had some new ones for my 45 LC but sold it to guy who really-really ($) wanted them. What I do use Nickel plated cases for is to make my 338-06 rounds I use for hunting look different from my 25-06/270/30-06/375-06 Ackley and not mixupable. It also seems that that they are slicker than than plain brass through the rifle. They will corrode however as some in the door pocket of my old chev have gotten green spots on them after a couple of years. I only had to put a little oil on a piece of steel wool and polish it off but it did leave pits so the stuff isn't bullet proof. I have not had any problems fire forming (really don't in the 338/06 only run through the FL die and trim mouths square) or in the 375 Ackley (did a few for fun but no neck splits ect). As far as standing up to leather, weather ect it works great as long as moisture doesn't cause corrosion and that appears to take a long time but the different color is why I use em'-Muddy

Offline calvon

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 04:30:55 PM »
If you're going to carry them in leather loops on a cartridge belt, then nickel plate is probably the way to go. If not, then they have no advantage other than to be prettier in some eyes. Not in mine, though.

Offline Bugflipper

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 08:10:18 PM »
I just buy which ever is cheaper.
Molon labe

Offline huntducks

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 06:25:54 AM »
I use nickle when ever I can find it in rifle loads stays cleaner.

In pistol I have been using it for years, I also have never had it chip off just wear off only, it's easy to clean in the tumbler vs brass.
Remember it's where the first bullet goes out of a cold barrel that counts most.

Offline cybin

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 07:05:19 AM »
I have had some nickel plated brass in .357 that didn't seem to not last as long as brass  brass--it chipped around the neck and developed small splits---but I also have some hornady .223 that is beautiful stuff--not a hint of a problem--so my conclusion to it is that it all depends on the manufacture--and maybe even on the lot--good luck--nothing ventured,nothing gained.

cybin

Offline woods

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 09:17:18 AM »
      They seem the same I've reloaded both about 20 times, never seen any difference. I do use nickle for 44 special to easily pick them out of my 44 mag cases. Wet leather will discolor the brass and sometimes turn it green in damp humid weather.
     woods.