Author Topic: Iron sight options for Ruger No. 1 45-70  (Read 1347 times)

Offline Thane_Of_Fife

• Trade Count: (0)
Iron sight options for Ruger No. 1 45-70
« on: March 18, 2012, 08:53:46 AM »
Greetings everyone,
              I have a No. 1 in 45-70 which is presently equipped with a low power scope which handles remarkably well at 100yds.  This firearm was purchased used with this optic but I've long been a big fan of iron sights.  Well, those of you who have a no. 1 know that this piece comes with an all-too-familiar rear sight...a sight dovetail mounted to the barrel of the same variety found on  10 or 77-22.  Can't figure out why Ruger puts this sight on their creme-de-la-creme offering but that's beside the point.  Needless to say, this sight won't do me a darn bit of good trying to lob 535gr. slugs across any considerable range.  I have the rifle trigger set quite light which means I'm not willing to take out the tang-safety to install a tang sight.  What I need is a ladder sight which will mount either in the dovetail replacing the useless factory sight, or something which will mount on the scope mount.  A vernier sight would be outstanding.  The problem I've found is that every vernier sight I find mounts to the tang, and every ladder sight I've found mounts by some other means than a simple dovetail.  Can anyone steer me in the right direction; hopefully introduce me to an iron sight that'll allow me to loft slugs over 300yds?
Any help is much appreciated,
JD

Offline BlkHawk73

• GBO Supporter
Re: Iron sight options for Ruger No. 1 45-70
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 07:35:25 AM »
  Look at those offered by NECG or the newer ones by Brockman.  I've got a couple of the NEGC ones and really like 'em.
"Never Surrender, Just Carry On."  - G.S.

Offline Rangr44

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 08:00:05 AM »
Among many other sources, Bob's Gun Shop sells a dovetail-mounted ladder rear sight.

http://www.gun-parts.com/sights/

A higher front sight will be needed, of course - NECG has them in various bead materials like Ivory, Gold, or fibre-optic

http://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/

There's a Place for All God's Creatures - Right Next to the Potatoes & Gravy ! !

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 05:57:13 PM »
Just a personal opinion, and it is like noses, everyone has one.

However, When I bought my #1s - 45/70 and before I got it scoped as was the intention, I did shoot it with the iron sights and found the rifle to very abusive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To the point I began to wonder if I was, "man enough" for this rifle.

Went ahead and mounted the scope and thankfully with the higher head position, the painful abuse to my face was gone.

I think I might want to shoot it a bit with the factory irons before investing money for something I don't want to use.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
300 Winmag