Author Topic: Barrel fit question  (Read 470 times)

Offline NYRebel13

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
Barrel fit question
« on: March 19, 2012, 02:48:45 PM »
I just bought a barrel at a gunshow over the weekend.  I have 2 shotgun frames, a NG and a NW.  I kinda wanted this barrel to fit the NG frame.  When I put it on the frame it locks up good but it has a little wiggle if I twist the barrel and frame.  When I put it on the NW frame it doesn't wiggle but it needs the latch shelf filed down.  My question...is there a way to make the wiggle go away or should I just fit it to the NW frame and file the latch shelf? 

Right now I both frames are factory fitted with 20 gauge barrels, the new barrel is a 12 gauge.  The reason I wanted to use the NG frame is because I am turning that 20 barrel into a shorty and figured if someone wanted to hunt with me one of us could take the factory length 20 and the other the 12 if they were on seperate frames.
My biggest fear in life is dying and my wife selling my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Offline NYRebel13

• Avid Poster
Re: Barrel fit question
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 04:18:01 PM »
OK...I went back and reread the faq on barrel fitting.  I held the barrel and receiver up to the light and there is a gap on the NG frame.  I will try a temporary shim on it and see if I can get rid of the wiggle.  If I can then I will try to shim it to fit that frame.  If it doesn't work and I mess it up it might end up for sale on here cheap.  What epoxy do you guys use to install the shims?
My biggest fear in life is dying and my wife selling my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 05:11:23 PM »
Epoxy is covered in my barrel fitting info too, there's more than one mentioned that different members have used, it's been updated numerous times over the years.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline NYRebel13

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 05:18:44 PM »
Epoxy is covered in my barrel fitting info too, there's more than one mentioned that different members have used, it's been updated numerous times over the years.

Tim

Thanks quick, I just went back and reread it.  I'm sure I will go back a few more times before I get it done.