Author Topic: Dispelling the Myth's  (Read 514 times)

Offline LAREDOBOB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Dispelling the Myth's
« on: January 26, 2004, 07:47:27 AM »
The Buck season ended last week here in Texas, but there is an antlerless season that runs for the following two weeks. I was hunting Saturday and had shot a nice doe in the morning, and was sitting in the blind that evening hoping to mabey get another, or a coyote on bobcat. About an hour before dusk the most perfect 10 point I have ever seen came down the road and was grazing on the corn we had put out earlier. He had a high rack with a beautiful spread and the most symetrical rack I have ever seen. I watched him graze down the road for awhile then he turned and started working his way back toward my blind. I watched for 45 min, and when he was about 40 yds from me I thought Lets see what will scare this guy. He was Downwind of me all this time . I started by coughing and shuffling my feet in the blind, nothing, he never looked up.  I then took out a cigarette and lit it up blowing the smoke his direction, nothing, he kept on walking. I coughed louder and blew more smoke but to no avail. Finally he got about 10 yds away and looked up at me and slowly walked off into the brush. So much for being quiet . He looked up once when my buddy took a shot at a bobcat about 1/2 mile from me, but kept on eating.  Go figure  :D  :D
"No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country."   T. Roosevelt

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
Dispelling the Myth's
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2004, 09:09:31 AM »
he knew that he was safe and that you couldn't shoot him :-D
I don't know where they get them from ( :evil:  maybe PETE  :evil: ) but they have a set of the hunting seasons stashed in the woods along with a calendar and watch. :-D
I have walked right up to a deer when coming out from hunting it was well past legal shooting hours. :)

Offline ihuntbucks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • A Real Regular
Dispelling the Myth's
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2004, 02:03:24 PM »
Dang Bob,you sound like you have my kind of luck. :lol:        Rick              "Maybe he was deaf" :roll:
"Traveling East" F&AM #261  RAM #105  R&SM #69  KT #23 "Live for nothing;die for something"

Offline huntsman

• A Real Regular
Dispelling the Myth's
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2004, 02:39:58 AM »
On the last day of the season in January 2002, I had jumped a buck and circled around to try and cut off one of his possible escape routes. I found a tree and sat down at the base. The buck didn't show, but about 20 minutes later 6 does and 4 fawns came by, four of them so close I could have spit on them. Two of the older does spotted something amiss (my face was bare and my scoped rifle visible) and did the old head down, jerk-back-up routine. When that didn't catch me, one of them tried stomping with her front feet and faking bounding away (stopped after about 20 feet).

When I still didn't move they continued to graze on past me and finally bedded down about 100 yards away on the other side of a draw. When noon came (my time deadline) and I had to leave, I thought, "This is a great opportunity to see what it takes to get their attention." Since I had to get up and spook them anyway, I decided to start speaking, first softly and then louder until they finally heard me and reacted.

Starting with a normal quiet conversational tone, I recited the Gettysburg address. No reaction. So I tried again, this time stronger. Still no reaction. Now I used a projecting voice (reach the back of a big room kinda voice). Still nothing. I finally had to yell, like I was speaking to someone 30 or 40 yards away, before they got up and made haste outa there. It really surprised me how loud I had to be before they took notice.
There is no more humbling experience for man than to be fully immersed in nature's artistry.

Offline whitecloud

Dispelling the Myth's
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2004, 08:06:25 AM »
on the flip side of this,I was hidden well in a fence row one CALM morning.Four does were feeding in a cut bean field about 600 yrds away.To see how well they could REALLY hear,I took my zippo out of my fanny pack.EVERY time I would open the lid(that click we all know),they would all pop thier heads up and look directly a me. I did this for about 30 min.,every 5 or 6 min.They never failed to react.