Author Topic: What to Read?  (Read 715 times)

Offline bjgolfnut

• Trade Count: (3)
What to Read?
« on: January 26, 2004, 10:44:35 AM »
Hey, :?

Can someone give me some ideas on what to read about Casting lead Bullets.  Does Lee put out a book for someone thinking about casting.  Thanks for your time.
Live Long and Prosper,  BRUCE
NRA Life Member

Offline Blackhawk44

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
What to Read?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2004, 12:10:59 PM »
Lee and Lyman reloading manuals.

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (10)
What to Read?
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2004, 02:12:14 PM »
The Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, is a good place to start. Brouse through the "How do I start?" threads in this forum, these folks have a lot of knowledge and are willing to share.  I learned here, then got the Lyman book when I ordered my first mould.  Then, do a net search for "bullet casting". unbelieveable how much information is out there and free.
Butler Ford
He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done.-Leonardo da Vinci
An armed society is a polite society-Robert A. Heinlein
Only the dead have seen the end of war- Plato
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey
tomorrow I may have to eat them- A lady's sweatshirt

Offline Lead pot

• A Real Regular
What to Read?
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2004, 02:40:00 PM »
bjgolfnut.

That Lyman book that Butler mentioned is a good place to start.If you can find some of the older volumes they  are great,you might look for them at gun showes.
follow the instructions you get from the mould makers like Steve Brooks or Paul Jones they are good cast shooters,they know what workes.

Casting is kind of a explosive subject.I made several posts on this,I had to look in my footlocker for my steel pot several times.Every one has his knack.The important thing is repatition and a good mould and alloy for the job that bullet is suppost to do.

Kurt
Dont go were the path leads,go were there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline jgalar

What to Read?
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2004, 01:45:12 AM »
Lee's Modern reloading has great info and instruction for casting. Very good for those just starting out. The Lyman book continues where the Lee book leaves off. I second the idea of getting both.

Offline bjgolfnut

Casting Question!!
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2004, 09:59:43 AM »
Hey, :grin:

Thanks for the info, will start looking around for the books and checking the "How do I start?" threads.  Would like to look into casting some .50 cal. conicals.  Once again, THANKS for your replies.
NRA Life Member

Offline cooper

• Avid Poster
What to Read?
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2004, 11:57:20 AM »
In addition to the casting manuals mentioned, there are several other books you should keep an eye out for on the used book market.  They are all out of print now (as far as I know).

Wolfe Publishing put out a book which is a compilation of numerous casting articles from "Handloader" magazine.  The book is "The Art of Bullet Casting".

Wolfe also published 3 special magazines.  I can't remember their exact titles, but they were something like "Cast Bullet Annual", then there was "Cast Bullets Vol II" and a third one with a similar name.  These came out in the early 1990's, I think.

Finally, the NRA published a compilation of casting articles from the American Rifleman in a book called "Cast Bullets".  They later published a 15 or 20 page addendum to this book.

All of these are worth getting, if you can find them.  I think they are almost becoming collector items!

Offline bjgolfnut

Cast Bullet Books!!
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2004, 09:36:12 AM »
Hey Coop  :D
     Thanks for the info.  Have a Gun Show coming up in the area soon so I will take a look around for the books and magazines.  Will give the NRA site a look to see if they still publish the book. Once again, THANKS :-D
NRA Life Member

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
What to Read?
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2004, 02:34:58 PM »
I am surprised no one mentioned Veral's book.May not be exactly for a beginner but has the answers for most casters.

Offline Lead pot

• A Real Regular
What to Read?
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2004, 03:15:47 AM »
Didn't know he had one.
Dont go were the path leads,go were there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline dakotashooter2

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
What to Read?
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2004, 09:45:44 AM »
RCBS also has a hardbound casting book.
Just another worthless opinion!!