Author Topic: Oh the Horror...  (Read 1177 times)

Offline RPRNY

• Trade Count: (11)
  • A Real Regular
Oh the Horror...
« on: March 21, 2012, 05:31:11 PM »
So I stopped into Cabela's today on my way back from VT to pick up some reloading stuff and avoid hazmat fees. I've been so pleased with my 45 Colt and 454 reloading that I've decided to give 30-30 and 30-06 a go. Based on Hodgdon data, I decided to go with Varget as it will serve for both at mid level loads. But there's none in the powder cupboard, so I ask one of the salespeople whether they would have any Varget in stock. She doesn't know much about it so gets two other fellows over and I ask again whether they have any Varget in stock and can they look it up. There's much scratching of heads and they say that they don't know what I'm talking about, never heard of this powder. Finally, the Guns & Ammo Dept Manager comes over and I point to the poster of Hodgdon powders and ask again for the the Varget. He says ohhhhhh, you mean Varget. Sure, we have some out back. I'll get it right out.  He pronounces it to rhyme with target. I have been pronouncing it in the effete French manner. The horror.

Handi content: After the embarrassment of the Varjay, I went over to look in the used gun section. I immediately spot a Handi stocked in dead plain black synthetic. Pick it up - 35 Whelen. Now, this caliber intrigues me. I feel like it's the red haired stepchild of large bore calibers and yet it should be an All American classic. So that, and creeping handiholism, lead me to look at the price tag. $249. Well, I walk into the gun room and, giddy with my recent reloading faut pas on top of a screaming handi jones, offer a crazy $200. Nope. I guess they, like me, think 35 Whelen is misunderstood and underappreciated. Unlike me, they must have a crack habit... ::)
[spoof]The Handi-Rifle is a highly matrixed, vintage tactical shooting platform allowing operators high interchangeability, extended caliber diversity, and a wide choice of range related optical solutions suited to the demands of their tactical operating environments.  ;) [/spoof]

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: Oh the Horror...
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 11:42:43 PM »
LOL good story!!

I have had my own hands on those exact rifles (In E Hartford) a couple times!!  They have had four then three and last trip two 35 Whelens for a couple months now.... 250 for a brandy new Handi is not bad at all...

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 12:08:14 AM »
A plain Jane Handi goes for $299 + 7% sales tax or more in these here parts. $250 is not bad at all. Recently, someone said they could not see a $300 scope on a $200 rifle, but they had it wrong, they are $300 rifles now with no end in sight. If you want a 35 Whelen, it is not a bad price at all.

Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 12:25:35 AM »
I got a used 30-30 older model ejector with a pallet wood laminate stock and the older but better in my opinion open sights at the cabelas in PA. I always go during the week as I find they are slower and more willing to bargain. Was marked 210 I waliked out with it for 175. One of the best shooters I have. .

Offline RPRNY

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 05:03:39 AM »
ENABLERS!!!!       ;)

Seriously, I just think $250 for a used Handi in basic black plastic is too much. If they had shown signs of willingness to haggle, I might have come up. We'll see what's there on my next visit...
[spoof]The Handi-Rifle is a highly matrixed, vintage tactical shooting platform allowing operators high interchangeability, extended caliber diversity, and a wide choice of range related optical solutions suited to the demands of their tactical operating environments.  ;) [/spoof]

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 05:14:22 AM »
ENABLERS!!!!       ;)

Seriously, I just think $250 for a used Handi in basic black plastic is too much. If they had shown signs of willingness to haggle, I might have come up. We'll see what's there on my next visit...
That we be!  ;D ;D ;D
Oh, did I tell you buy it! Buy it! ;) ;D ;D ;D
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline Smokin Joe

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 05:27:14 AM »

To make up for this.......BUY IT!!!   ;D ;D ;D
Deo duce, ferro comitante
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

Offline Ranger J

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 05:59:04 AM »
Dang!  That must have been my mistake.  I went to Cabelas last week for reloading supplies and ask for a container of Varget and got the 'deer in the headlight' look from the worker.  Now it comes to me that he was a French exchange student and if I had only ask for Varjay he would have fixed me right up. ;D

RJ

Offline RPRNY

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 06:02:04 AM »

ROTFLMAO! Now THAT's funny  ;D ;D ;D

Offline swb311

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 10:49:18 AM »
.35 Whelen handis in stock in Tulsa.  Wood for $190, synthetic for $200.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 11:36:53 AM »
Varget or Varjay...still good stuff.  I use it for my .223, .243 and even occasionally, my Hornet. (Hornet usually eats Lil'-Gun)
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 11:52:31 AM »
.35 Whelen handis in stock in Tulsa.  Wood for $190, synthetic for $200.

i'll take one them wood for $190 !!!!!!!!!!!! :o  wish i wasa there :'(
to check tha production date & sku#........ ;)
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline dave29

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (93)
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2012, 12:33:29 PM »

That's hilarious. I seriously laughed out loud!  ;D

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2012, 02:57:16 PM »
You should have heard me try to pronounce " VihtaVuori "!!

** I changed the picture because some guy from PETA threatened to hit me with his purse.

Offline RPRNY

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2012, 03:20:00 PM »
You should have heard me try to pronounce " VihtaVuori "!!

** I changed the picture because some guy from PETA threatened to hit me with his purse.

I wasn't sure whether the French Embassy had been onto Graybeard wanting to know why the Ambassador's photo was being used ... "Zut alors! C'est pas chouette!!!"

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2012, 05:41:13 PM »
I must have missed the photo or something.  What's not (C'est pas chouette!) nice?
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2012, 06:33:35 AM »
I must have missed the photo or something.  What's not (C'est pas chouette!) nice?

It was a picture of a French Male (?) fashon model. He looked like he was very adept at Dropping Anchor in Butt-Ranger Bay.

I had to have my brain bleached afterward... ;D