Author Topic: Apex: Head Spacing Or Servicing Problems?  (Read 1091 times)

Offline MLN1963

• Trade Count: (0)
Apex: Head Spacing Or Servicing Problems?
« on: March 23, 2012, 04:37:36 AM »
I've been looking at possibly picking up an Apex. I mentioned this to my friend who is a bit of a gun nut/tinkerer/gun smith type and he is recommending I steer clear and get a TC. He likes the Apex, but says there are a couple of reasons why he wouldn't buy one.

1. It isn't easily worked on. You need a jig to reassemble the gun if you take it apart to lube everything, want to change springs or do any polishing of the internals.

2. Another thing that he mentioned is there is no way to adjust head spacing on the Apex. Since I don't reload he says that this could possibly be a problem. I know that incorrect head spacing can be the difference between a tack driver and a just acceptable shooter. One of the barrels I am interested in is the 22-250 and it would need to perform. Ammo is to expensive these days to scatter it around.

I understand that all machined items are going to have tolerances and buying separate components like barrels and frames will increase the likelihood of getting incompatible barrel frame combo. I also know that there are plenty of mad TC owners who sent in their break-action guns for poor accuracy only to have TC say that the gun performs within TCs standards and do nothing for them. Does anyone know how CVA handles such an incident?

Thanks for your input.

TC Omega Dream Season
CVA Optima
CVA Electra

Offline Buckskins & Black Powder

• Trade Count: (16)
    • Buckskins & Black Powder
Re: Apex: Head Spacing Or Servicing Problems?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 06:21:53 AM »
guaranteed one inch accuracy @100 yards or your money back.

I really like the remington korelock ammo the our Apex 30-06 as well as our cva scout 243.

Offline muznut 54

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 02:53:17 AM »
Its head spaced right to begin with no need for funky shims in a center-fire, with 209s that's different to many different lengths.

Offline MLN1963

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 06:42:44 AM »
Its head spaced right to begin with no need for funky shims in a center-fire, with 209s that's different to many different lengths.

This seems logical as long as you buy a complete gun. Once you start mixing and matching barrels you are putting together individual pieces with tolorences and then things could change I suspect. Shooting at deer sized targets this likely isn't a problem, but prairie dog sizes at distance might be.

TC Omega Dream Season
CVA Optima
CVA Electra

Offline muznut 54

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 09:37:15 AM »
I have two CVA Apex's ones a muzzleloader but I can take and switch my .308 on both frames and it fits and is head spaced perfect I also have an Optima Elite with 5 barrels and that is the same with the three center fire barrels. ;) 

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 11:11:15 AM »
If the rifle is properly constructed, there should be no difference in "head space" issues between it and a TC, or any other single barrel.  It either fits or not.  I have a lot of Handi rifles, which are not claimed to be user "fittable", so I have to fit some barrels to the frame.  Most of the time it's a piece of cake.

On guns with tighter mfg. tolerances, it should not be a problem at all....

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline MLN1963

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 05:02:27 PM »
I'm not accusing, I'm asking. But what if one chamber is bored slightly deeper? There is no way to correct for it compared to on slightly shallower. With a screw on barrel like most bolt actions you can adjust for at. How do you do that with a single action like the Apex? A few thousands can make a difference when it comes to accuracy.

I find it hard to believe that every barrel can leave the factory with exactly the same depth chamber. Add that to the pin location and pivot/hinge cut and you have three areas where tolorences can stack up. I'm sure there are more than that even. This is what made me ask the question.
TC Omega Dream Season
CVA Optima
CVA Electra

Offline muznut 54

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 02:00:21 AM »
As long as they are in spec they should shoot I doubt all bolt actions are the same from the factory but if the head space is in spec and every thing else is ok they shoot if you had one with the wrong head space send it back.