Author Topic: Confused ............ Why the sudden upsurge in interest in the .257 Wby?  (Read 7169 times)

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
I don't feel the hype for the 257 Weatherby Magnum or 300 Weatherby Magnum.

Take the 270 Winchester and Nosler 110 grain Accubond's, can easily nips the heels of the 257 Weatherby Magnum and/or 264 Winchester Magnum if desired.

Also the 338-06 A-Square with Nosler 180 grain Ballistic Tip and /or Accubond's, get close enough too some 30 caliber magnum cartridges if desired.

Both 270 Winchester and 338-06 A-Square are in a inexpensive reformed brass.

yooper77

A 338 cal. bullet with a BC of .372 vs a 30 cal. bullet with a BC of .507 traveling 100-200fps faster, doesn't seem comparable to me.

I have a very accurate 270 & it is a fine cartridge. If it fits your performance needs & it would for most, fine. But no, the 110Accubond is not impressive to me. I do love the 140 Accubond & it has a great BC for a 270, but it falls short of 6.5 bullets & combined with higher 264 velocities, a whole herd of them.

But looking at the 110 Acc/.277 you can get 3300, maybe 3350. With a 264 with the proper barrel & Retumbo/RL25 you can get 3300 with a 130 Accubond.
Now look at bullet stats:
110/.277 Acc.: SD.238 & B/C.370 It is a pretty blunt bullet as we can see
130/.264 Acc.: SD.266 & B/C.488 Great penetration & High BC, not even a close contest. And man if you want to talk long range, a 140 6.5 Berger at 3200 is amazing, the Berger 270 BC's are much lower & so is the vel.

The 270 is a little closer contest with a 257 110, but still falls a little short & picking the optimum loads for both, the 257 Wea. is a good deal flatter than the 270 Win.

sorry but im with nomosendero you can try to make any two rounds comparable on paper but math doesnt kill animals bullets do. Im not a fan of the 270 but would be the first to admit its a decent round. But it works best with 130-150 grain bullets. Same goes for the 338/06 which is a fine round, very effiecient and a good killer but it never was intended as a ultra long range round. If i had to go and kill a big animal and i knew the ranges wouldnt be over 250 yards id say its just as effective as a 300mag. But its intention was to shoot bullets heavier then typical 30 cal bullets at moderate speeds. I guess alot of this is just to each his own. Most hunters maybe dont need the extra velocity a weatherby gives. My hunting situation is a bit differnt then most here and what ive found is when the range gets out around 400 yards there a definate adavantage if you want quick kills and flatter trajectorys.

I agree with you both, but I only said if desired. Fair enough, I will be first to call myself out with my attempt on using the arm chair ballistic technician card for looking at velocities only.

I have never been a fan of any belted or non-belted rifle magnum cartridges, so I stalk closer to my game. I have also never been a fan of small fast bullets unless varmints were the game. Big game past 300 yards isn't what I am after, so I will always pass and/or stalk closer.

I currently use any standard cup/core 150 grain bullet in my 270 Winchester with IMR-4831 for my use. Also any standard cup/core 200 to 250 grain bullets in my 338-06 A-Square with IMR-4320 or IMR-4064. I love heavy bullets at moderate velocities since they perform so well. If I have a need for a premium bullet I always choose the Nosler Partition.

I do have some 110 grain Nosler Accubonds made for the 6.8 Remington SPC and Nolser says they can be used at 1800 FPS Minimum to Unlimited Maximum velocities. I bought them for reduced loads in my 270 Winchester for my wife too try.

I just thought continuing with my arm chair ballistic technician card. It would be fun to push these 110 grain Nosler Accubonds too near max limits in my 270 Winchester for a fun coyote load if they are accurate which according to data.hodgdon.com can nip the heels of the 257 Weatherby Magnum and/or 264 Winchester Magnum using 120 grain bullets which I forgot to list in my first post.

Now the 338-06 A-Square is my most favorite of all and seeing near 3000 FPS on data.hodgdon.com with 180 grain Nosler Accubond was impressive too me which is within the reach of some 30 caliber magnum rifle cartridges. I have some 180 grain Nosler Accubond and Ballistic Tips, but I am saving them for my new T/C Encore 15" 338 Federal pistol barrel.

So, the Weatherby magnums cartridges are great for some, but the cost of the brass/ammo is just too outrageous for me and is something I cannot ignore.

yooper77

Offline fatercat

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
heres your ans. it kills like hell.

Offline yellowtail3

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Oh father of the four winds, fill my sails!
no hype buyin' here... don't see the appeal of a 257, when a plain old 270 is so much better.
Jesus said we should treat other as we'd want to be treated... and he didn't qualify that by their party affiliation, race, or even if they're of diff religion.

Offline fatercat

• A Real Regular
yellowtail, it ain't better. its different, but not better.

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
I don't think you will find anyone that uses both say the 270 is much better, & my 270 has it's own niche, but plenty who use both will tell you the 257 is flatter shooting, and a great killer, esp. for Deer sized game, which is the reason the round is becoming so popular.

The 270 is a fine round & can stand on it's own merits & within it's own realm. So can the 308, '06, & many other fine rounds. But that has zero to do with the original question, as to why this round is gaining in popularity.

You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline Savage_99

• Contributor
A false image is being tried that somehow the obscure 257 Rubberby kills game faster than other cartridges.

Some folks show a picture of some dead beast and say: "See this is proof."  ::)

The old 257 Rubberby has been out for decades and never caught on.

It's very similar to many other cartridges shooting the same or similar bullets.

Offline nomosendero

A false image is being tried that somehow the obscure 257 Rubberby kills game faster than other cartridges.

It's very similar to many other cartridges shooting the same or similar bullets.

Where is the post that says this is proof that the Roy kills faster than other cartridges ?

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
why use a 270 when a 708 will do the same. It uses less powder and if you buy 308 brass or pick it off the ground at the range its cheaper yet. then again why use the 270 when the 2506 shoots flatter with less recoil for the same cost or why the 270 when the 280 will push the same weight bullets faster. Then again why use the 280 when the o6 will push the same weight bullets faster. Sure im not a fan of the 270 but thats not my point here. You can take any round you really like and quote some ballistics as to why its superior to another round. Will one kill faster then another? It sure would be hard to prove it. Youd have to kill 10 deer with each at the same distance, angle and with EXACTLY the same bullet placement to see and even then just switching bullets can make all the differnce in the world. I get a chance to kill alot of deer at long range. I think ive got a bit of a grasp on how well some rounds work for it. If you think the 257 is a waste of velocity ive got a few hundred lbs of venison in the freezer that will argue. As to it having never caught on. Its more popular right now then it ever has been. Remington chambers it Weatherby chambers it in both there mark v and vanguard, and even a few foreign manufactures chamber it in guns. Used to be the only way to get one was a mark v. Sure brass is more expensive then 270. thats a given. thing is i dont go out and shoot a 1000 rounds a year out of guns like that. For the most part i work up a couple good loads and go hunting and maybe shoot 2 or 3 boxes of ammo a year out of them. A 100 rounds of brass last me a good long time and if i was really cheap I could easily make them out of 7mag brass which can be found once fired fairly cheap. I personaly dont know of anyone thats actually used one in the field that had anything bad to say about it. I hear it all the time from guys who want to badmouth mag rifle rounds. Most of them either havent used them or are afraid of a bit of recoil. Which by the way in the 257 inst a bit harder then a 270. Other then maybe a tiny argument about brass cost i dont see a single downside to the round. Now all you 270 fanatics tell me why in your experience the 270 is so much better then any of those rounds. I kind of chuckle at the 270 fans around here. Most I know are guys who dont know squat about rifles. they buy a 270 because some gun writter said it was the best thing since sliced bread and they think just by buying one they join an elite group of shooters who know what there talking about. I chukle at them in the gun shops all the time. Most of them wouldnt know the differnce between a reloading press and a cider press. Its the biggest reason ive never owned one and never will.
blue lives matter

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
Geez the last i could figure is that theres not much of a better way to tell who well something works then to actually kill animals with it.

blue lives matter

Offline roper

• A Real Regular

I guess when you post a picture of a guy sitting on and elk and wearing tennis shoes you have to wonder if he was driven real close to shot that elk.

Offline nomosendero

why use a 270 when a 708 will do the same. It uses less powder and if you buy 308 brass or pick it off the ground at the range its cheaper yet. then again why use the 270 when the 2506 shoots flatter with less recoil for the same cost or why the 270 when the 280 will push the same weight bullets faster. Then again why use the 280 when the o6 will push the same weight bullets faster. Sure im not a fan of the 270 but thats not my point here. You can take any round you really like and quote some ballistics as to why its superior to another round. Will one kill faster then another? It sure would be hard to prove it. Youd have to kill 10 deer with each at the same distance, angle and with EXACTLY the same bullet placement to see and even then just switching bullets can make all the differnce in the world. I get a chance to kill alot of deer at long range. I think ive got a bit of a grasp on how well some rounds work for it. If you think the 257 is a waste of velocity ive got a few hundred lbs of venison in the freezer that will argue. As to it having never caught on. Its more popular right now then it ever has been. Remington chambers it Weatherby chambers it in both there mark v and vanguard, and even a few foreign manufactures chamber it in guns. Used to be the only way to get one was a mark v. Sure brass is more expensive then 270. thats a given. thing is i dont go out and shoot a 1000 rounds a year out of guns like that. For the most part i work up a couple good loads and go hunting and maybe shoot 2 or 3 boxes of ammo a year out of them. A 100 rounds of brass last me a good long time and if i was really cheap I could easily make them out of 7mag brass which can be found once fired fairly cheap. I personaly dont know of anyone thats actually used one in the field that had anything bad to say about it. I hear it all the time from guys who want to badmouth mag rifle rounds. Most of them either havent used them or are afraid of a bit of recoil. Which by the way in the 257 inst a bit harder then a 270. Other then maybe a tiny argument about brass cost i dont see a single downside to the round. Now all you 270 fanatics tell me why in your experience the 270 is so much better then any of those rounds. I kind of chuckle at the 270 fans around here. Most I know are guys who dont know squat about rifles. they buy a 270 because some gun writter said it was the best thing since sliced bread and they think just by buying one they join an elite group of shooters who know what there talking about. I chukle at them in the gun shops all the time. Most of them wouldnt know the differnce between a reloading press and a cider press. Its the biggest reason ive never owned one and never will.

Yes, one person stated earlier something to the effect of no "hype buying" and then mentioned the 270!!  ;D
No cartridge has benefited more from "hype" in the history of primed cartridges than the 270, PERIOD! The yuppieish
wire brimmed glasses O'Connor hyped the round bigger than life. It is a good round in it's performance range, but the 280 has better bullet selection, more upper end power, far better long range target bullets & varmit bullets of equal performance levels. Yet, due to promotion or "hype" if that's the term one chooses to use the 270 is super popular, while the 280 barely hangs on. Sundra has tried that, not with a single cartridge as much as a caliber, that being the 7mm cal., but he has not been such a good promoter or marketer. It just goes that way sometimes, but no, the 257WM has been "hyped" very little by comparison.

Offline fatercat

• A Real Regular
hey savage99 how about you posting pics of how many elk or any thing else you've taken with any cal. that way we can see your bonifides.

Offline nomosendero

Let's be nice guys. Making a passionate point is one thing, one with substance is even better. But the personal stuff about our members has no purpose & not the subject anyway, nor will be allowed.
Let's get back to subject which we have all veered from, including yours trully.

Offline yellowtail3

• Oh father of the four winds, fill my sails!
full disclosure: I'm a deer hunter (and coyote killer, when I see one). I actually think many catridges - 260, 270, 7mm08, 280, 284, 8mm mauser, 308, 30-06, 7.62x54 and so on are pretty similar for my purposes, and prob for most deer hunters. So, that said, I'll value easy ammo availability and versatility. But then... my current favorite deer rifle is a 336 in 30-30, which many consider limited. I've had a 30-06 and a .270... wish I'd kept the .270
never read anything by O'Conner, but his name sure does pop up a lot as some kind of sage re: 270, though I think the cartridge is fine on its own.
Jesus said we should treat other as we'd want to be treated... and he didn't qualify that by their party affiliation, race, or even if they're of diff religion.

Offline fatercat

• A Real Regular
nomo, theres is a time to be nice and there is a time to ask people that post - after I posted a pic- why  they questioned it. savage99 did just that. so lets see where he is coming from. sad thing about the internet is the only way we can confirm what he has to say is ask him to prove it. lets figure out if he has a positive thing to add or is he is just a want to be. I'm closer to 70 years old than 65. ain't bitiching about that, just don't want the younger guys to be mislead by someone that is a buffoon that wants to get noticed. the fact is that is roy weatherby added a new world to effective game getting calibers. I've hunted all the elk states, i,myself fell for the hard kicking mag. fad that the gun rags came out with in the 1970's. seen some good riflemen turn into bad shooters due to though hard kicking mags, myself included. i have killed elk with 270 (jack O'Connor), 7mm mag, 257 weatherby. i ask my elk guide (of 30 years) what the was the most damage done to a elk buy any caliber. he said he took a handicaped boy that killed a big 6X6 with 30-06 with 220 round nosed corelock. my point is just this, all of us change, with age, the ability to get close to game if your young the 30-30 will kill any elk on this earth. if you can ride a horse you can get closer . if your good with a 30-30 and the 30-06 kicks to much for you then don't use it..the 257 weatherby has soft recoil and will  kill a elk. the pic i posted went through both ball joints of the hipps, and went out the other side putting him down over 300 yards. he was dead and down before we got to him. bled out due to all the blood veins . this took me about 45 min to post this answer. what i post is true. i am a disabled vet and i can assure you that i need need no ones approval or any thataboy remarks. it is just the truth. i am not someone that post from something i have read in a book,altough i have read most of them . if i post it is the truth, it is from what i've done or seen done. i love hunting. had one of the best bird dogs(brittney) that died in my arms. the sport is honnerable and should be held to the highest guidelines that we all set to the hightest standards. that is all.

Offline yooper77

Yes, one person stated earlier something to the effect of no "hype buying" and then mentioned the 270!!  ;D
No cartridge has benefited more from "hype" in the history of primed cartridges than the 270, PERIOD! The yuppieish
wire brimmed glasses O'Connor hyped the round bigger than life. It is a good round in it's performance range, but the 280 has better bullet selection, more upper end power, far better long range target bullets & varmit bullets of equal performance levels. Yet, due to promotion or "hype" if that's the term one chooses to use the 270 is super popular, while the 280 barely hangs on. Sundra has tried that, not with a single cartridge as much as a caliber, that being the 7mm cal., but he has not been such a good promoter or marketer. It just goes that way sometimes, but no, the 257WM has been "hyped" very little by comparison.

Thank you, I was the one that said "I don't feel the hype for the 257 Weatherby Magnum or 300 Weatherby Magnum." and I probably never will. We all have our own choices, so I have learned long ago to agree to disagree.

Just to clarify, I didn’t hype buy my Ruger M77 MKII in 270 Winchester. My non-hunting father in-law won it in a one dollar raffle and gave it too me. I have never read anything about Jack O'Connor or Elmer Keith for that matter and I never care too. It is of course quite possible someone else hype bought my rifle for the raffle prize, not sure but its a thought.

I hand load for all my center fire cartridges, too include the 257 Weatherby and 270 Weatherby Magnums for a close friend in order to save him some money. He gives me his empties and I use only 120 grain Nosler Partitions in his 257 Weatherby Magnum and 140 grain Nosler Partitions or Accubonds in his 270 Weatherby Magnum, with IMR-7828 and federal 215 primers.

yooper77

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
well said nomoresendero. If ever a round became popular because of hype its the 270. It made no sense when it came out. An odd ball bullet size in a round that did nothing the 06 allready didnt do. Back then there wasnt many rounds to choose from and im sure gun sales were stagnant. So whats the answer bring out something differnt (not better) and give some yuppie for there time  gun writters and pay for there hunts so that they will telll everyone its the best thing since sliced bread. I wonder how much jack oconor made off toteing the 270. If ever there was a round that should have died right out of the gate the 270 is the one. Many good rounds about die. The 250 sav the 280 the 6mm the 300h&h the 350 rem mag the 35 rem the 3220 and i can go on and on. Good ones die and lesser ones live just because of gun writters hype. Good examples are the 270vs280 or the 243vs 6mm/257roberts/250 savage If ever there was a round that if hunters and shooters actually looked at its performance should have taken off like hotcakes its the 280. It combines the flatter (not much flatter though) trajectory of the 270 with the ability to handle bullets near the weight of the 06 and with a much better bullet selection. I own a couple 2506s a 280 and 4 o6 rifles. I just dont see a need for something between the 2506 and the 280. To be honest what the main reason ive never been a fan of the 270 is is that i detest jack occonor. He about invented the modern gun writer. Give a guy something for free, give him ammo for free and send him hunting for free and i doubt if hed badmouth any product. Like i said ive never owned one and never will. I have though probably shot 50 deer over the years with other peoples 270. Will they kill a deer or even an elk? Hell yes, thats a given. Are they majicaly better then anything else? Hell no, but walk into about any gunshop in the US and ask anyone in there wearing shorts and flip flops what the best rifle round is and id bet a dime to a dollar he says its the 270.

blue lives matter

Offline nomosendero

Fatercat, nice Elk & thanks for the story. Yooper, I have used the 120NP a good deal & have yet to recover one & the terminal damage was always impressive.

Offline yooper77

Yooper, I have used the 120NP a good deal & have yet to recover one & the terminal damage was always impressive.

Yes my friend loves his Weatherby Vanguard in 257 Weatherby Magnum using my 120 grain Nosler Partition hand loads. He also picked up a Weatherby Mark V Ultra Lightweight in 270 Weatherby Magnum for use on elk in the future, so its a given I will hand load some 140 grain Nosler Partitions.

I also love the Nosler Partition, even my 13 yr old daughter uses them in my T/C Encore 223 Remington rifle for the Michigan 2-day youth hunt, she is 2 for 2 so far. I hand load the 60 grain Nosler Partition with H-4895 and keep her shots under 100 yards which is very easy too do on her grandmas Upper Michigan farm. Both bullets were complete pass through at bucks standing 75 and 60 yards.

I have also used 100 grain Nosler Partition with R19 powder in my 243 Winchester for a nice 300 yard shot at a antelope in New Mexico. Scored 2 more Antelope in Wyoming using the same hand loads. Also never recovered a bullet and all have been one shot kills to date.

yooper77

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
another fan of partitions here. Ive killed stuff with them in about every caliber from 22s up to 375s. As far as im conserned the developement of premium bullets could have stopped the day they came on the market. Lots of options out there but none do ANYTHING a partition doesnt do.
blue lives matter

Offline yooper77

another fan of partitions here. Ive killed stuff with them in about every caliber from 22s up to 375s. As far as im conserned the developement of premium bullets could have stopped the day they came on the market. Lots of options out there but none do ANYTHING a partition doesnt do.

Absolutely true, my words exactly!

yooper77

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)

Where is the post that says this is proof that the Roy kills faster than other cartridges ?
I have a better question:
Where is the Proof it doesn't kill faster or better?
Clearly it will get there faster than most of the traditional deer hunting calibers  8)
I have two friends that own them and use them often.
One is from Montana and he named his rifle red death.   
The other is from Idaho and he hunted elk and deer with it when I was there.  He loves the round.  Calls his rifle the ray gun.
I carried a 338 Win Mag on both trips and Like that round.  I think there is a to each his own.  But the low recoil, laser like ballistics and good bullet selection of the 257 makes it a good choice for open area deer sized animals.
If I get a chance to go pron horn hunting at some point I may invest in one.
I know a bunch of other rounds i have in my safe will work, but why not?

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
yup mcwoodcock i think about the same. Ive got many rifles in many calibers and they all do the job. Some i like better then others for differnt hunting circumstances. But i tire of listening to people who post down on something that theyve never even tried quoting math figures or energy figures or some other nonsense or worse yet they just post what someone else posted on another forum. Id like to ask everyone who posted negetive to tell me about there negetive hunting experience with it. Id bet most havent even pulled the trigger on one let alone killed a few animals with it.
blue lives matter

Offline Drilling Man

But i tire of listening to people who post down on something that theyve never even tried quoting math figures or energy figures or some other nonsense or worse yet they just post what someone else posted on another forum. Id like to ask everyone who posted negetive to tell me about there negetive hunting experience with it. Id bet most havent even pulled the trigger on one let alone killed a few animals with it.

Happens all the time, just read the "what gun for big bear" threads!  Then when someone post who actually has hunted and killed several of them, that guy mostly gets ignored!  ha ha ha  SO, get use to it, or get over it!  lol

DM

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
your right drilling man. Im sure not going to stop it but that doesnt mean i cant call them out on the carpet.
blue lives matter

Offline Drilling Man

your right drilling man. Im sure not going to stop it but that doesnt mean i cant call them out on the carpet.

I've never shot anything with a 257 Wby., BUT i'd be happy to give you opinion of one....   8)

IF folks only answered when they "actually had experience" on that subject, the vast majority of folks would have to sell their puters!!  lol

DM

Offline fatercat

• A Real Regular
not have to sell anything.   just keep their mouth shut. or fingers in their pockets

Offline SHOOTALL

Just reading down here and see quite a few threads about folks getting new rifles in .257 Wby.

So what's the deal?

Why the sudden upsurge in interest in this cartridge?

To say that I am confused by this would be an understatement.

There was an article on it in Hand loader mag and a couple others. Often that's all it takes to stir up intrest. Let it be said production will stop and everyone will have to get one.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline roper

• A Real Regular

I've never shot anything with a 257 Wby., BUT i'd be happy to give you opinion of one....   8)

IF folks only answered when they "actually had experience" on that subject, the vast majority of folks would have to sell their puters!!  lol

DM

I think you have to look at what is real world experience is it hunting or just killing.  Most of the guys I know here Co that hunt set up camp get up before daylight and back after dark and if they get something every one help them pack it out.  some year are better than others.  We have the guides and their customers and the guides do everything but pull the trigger and best example is the killing of that Spider bull in Utah and B&C gave him the record and called it fair chase.

I may be different as I look at the total experience of hunting.

Offline nomosendero

I think we don't have to start looking at "is it hunting or is it shooting stuff here", has NOTHING to do with a 257 Wea.