Author Topic: Confused ............ Why the sudden upsurge in interest in the .257 Wby?  (Read 7183 times)

Offline ChrisK

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Weatherby has kind of a cult following. They are something kind of unique. Not everyone wants to have a .270,25-06,30-06or .243 in their gun cabinet. I have read about Weatherby rifles for many years even when I was a child before the internet(hahaha). My father has a shotgun that is a Weatherby that my Grandpa from my Mom's side gave to him in the mid 70's. I love to shoot it and loved to look at it and I told myself one day that when I could afford it I would stop making excuses and buy one. So I worked 11 on one off and 7 on one off swinging from one rotation to another in order to afford the rifle and several boxes of ammo. Not all of the ammo is expensive and don't for get that Hornady is making loaded ammo for the the .257 also now, I do not own any Hornady .257 ammo and would like to know how it shoots. I am not out to say that it is the best thing out there and I have shot tons of game with it but I have read tales of other folks using there Weatherby. I had a landlord that went to Alaska and the Yukon with his several times. I asked him why he liked his he told me that it was the best thing around then and it gave him lots of confindence that when he had the crosshairs on something that it was going down and they were not going to be looking far for it. I believed him, I shot his rifle once at a groundhog(way to much for a groundhog) and when I saw the shell being loaded into the chamber that shell looked like a 105mm. The recoil was up there but didn't kill me.
In ending, the .257 wby doesn't have to be in everyones gun cabinet but I have one in mine because I wanted one in there.

Offline 84Jim

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Well put Chris!  What more excuse do we need to buy a gun?  I'm a big quarter-bore fan myself, don't own a 257 Weatherby, but gotta say I couldn't blame anyone who did.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Chris i dont know how the ammo shoots but i did pick up 300 hornady empty brass a while back and its held up better then the weatherby or norma brass ive used in the past.
blue lives matter

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
Chrisk,

What Weatherby rifle did you buy in 257 Weatherby Magnum?

I hand load for a friend that has a Weatherby Vanguard Sporter in 257 Weatherby Magnum topped with a simple Leupold VX-I 3-9x40mm scope and its SUB MOA with 120 grain Nosler Partitions with IMR-7828 and Federal 215 large magnum primers.

yooper77

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
Chris i dont know how the ammo shoots but i did pick up 300 hornady empty brass a while back and its held up better then the weatherby or norma brass ive used in the past.
I was under the impression that NORMA loaded ammo for Weatherby so the two caes should last the same.

Offline ChrisK

• Contributor
I have a S2 vanguard. It has the 3 position safety, different stock and the trigger is suppose to be better. Not to high jack or plug anything but I have my .460 encore pistol barrel forsale so that I can buy a few boxes of the 120 grain Partitions. Thanks for the input about the Hornady brass. I was given a lee turret press from a buddy and next year I would like to start reloading.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
they are, just differnt head stamps. norma makes it.
I was under the impression that NORMA loaded ammo for Weatherby so the two caes should last the same.
blue lives matter

Offline mcwoodduck

That Picture of your Chocolate Lab puppy has been there for a while.
How big is He/ She now?  How does He / She do with the birds?

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
hes 7 now and a bit overweight at a 110lbs. Hes been the best dog ive ever owned. Ive never owned such a mellow dog. Hes not a hunter though. Just a house dog and best friend. He goes everywhere with me, the only exception iw when i go shooting. When he was a pup id take him along and his hearing has suffered from it.
blue lives matter

Offline RevJim

• A Real Regular
 He seems to like that stream he's cooling off in! ha. As long as a dog/cat is not a hunter or working cows, I keep them butterball fat! All they have to do is make me happy, and I like them rolly polly, ha. This new Pm is too active to put any weight on her though. She hangs in around 5#, ha.
  I never planned on getting a bunch of reloads out of any Weatherby mag caliber, however, I get plenty of loads out of Norma '06 cases. I like Norma brass alot. I loaded up some Hornady brass ( 30-30 LE cases) with the Hawk 190 a couple years ago. They had the tightest primer pockets I have ever fooled with. I sprung two Lee Hand primers, finally used my Sinclair all steel hand primer tool. I didn't like fooling with them. Maybe it was just that one Lot. I have never "crushed" a primer, ever, so I don't worry about the pressure used to prime them, it just ruined two good tools. Don't have any ideas on Hornady mag brass.

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
I have a S2 vanguard. It has the 3 position safety, different stock and the trigger is suppose to be better. Not to high jack or plug anything but I have my .460 encore pistol barrel forsale so that I can buy a few boxes of the 120 grain Partitions. Thanks for the input about the Hornady brass. I was given a lee turret press from a buddy and next year I would like to start reloading.

Nice, my friend has an earlier generation. His is very accurate with 120 grain Nosler partitions and so far has taken only deer with it, but wants to go antelope hunting someday.

He also wanted a 270 Weatherby Magnum, but it isn't offered in the Vanguard, so the Mark V was the ticket in that case. Elk is the reason he bought this one, so I load up 140 grain Nosler Partitions for it.

yooper77

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
weatherby just last winter replaced 4 boxes of 257 brass i bought because the primers would seat flush. I say they werent deep enough  but weatherby said they were just to tight. You might have some of that same brass. the stream hes in is Lake Superior ;)  Its about 500 yards from my house and the beach there is his favorite spot in the world. Ive got  small pond in the back yard that he hits daily but he gets excited like a little kid everytime he sees the lake.
He seems to like that stream he's cooling off in! ha. As long as a dog/cat is not a hunter or working cows, I keep them butterball fat! All they have to do is make me happy, and I like them rolly polly, ha. This new Pm is too active to put any weight on her though. She hangs in around 5#, ha.
  I never planned on getting a bunch of reloads out of any Weatherby mag caliber, however, I get plenty of loads out of Norma '06 cases. I like Norma brass alot. I loaded up some Hornady brass ( 30-30 LE cases) with the Hawk 190 a couple years ago. They had the tightest primer pockets I have ever fooled with. I sprung two Lee Hand primers, finally used my Sinclair all steel hand primer tool. I didn't like fooling with them. Maybe it was just that one Lot. I have never "crushed" a primer, ever, so I don't worry about the pressure used to prime them, it just ruined two good tools. Don't have any ideas on Hornady mag brass.
blue lives matter

Offline Drilling Man

Those tight Wby. primer pockets are supose to be that way!  After a max load, they are just about right........well, for a couple more loads that is!  lol  Then they start falling out!  :)

DM

Offline Barstooler

• Avid Poster
The sum of my interest in the 257 Wby is going out of my way to say, "I am not interested in it"!   8)

Barstooler
Beverage of Choice -  Jeremiah Weed
Weapon of Choice  -  30 Mike Mike Gatlin Gun

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
Yup they do tend to open up fast. Problem with that lot of brass though was that the primers would go in far enough to sit flush.
  Those tight Wby. primer pockets are supose to be that way!  After a max load, they are just about right........well, for a couple more loads that is!  lol  Then they start falling out!  :)

DM
blue lives matter

Offline Savage_99

• Contributor
I have a carbide cutter that was made to 'qualify' or cut a large primer pocket to a certain depth.  Its not marked with a brand so I would guess Forester.

Its knurled on its body for hand use.  It would take quite an effort to cut many pockets.   It could be chucked up in a large chuck.

You should also determine that the pocket has enough metal left after cutting.

Now that I thought of that its best to forget my idea and just find brass thats made right.

Offline Drilling Man

Yup they do tend to open up fast. Problem with that lot of brass though was that the primers would go in far enough to sit flush.

DM

NOW you know why i proclaimed my 240 WBY brass JUNK!  And then everyone jumped on me for saying it.  lol  You can't do anything about the 240 brass, but you can the 257!

DM

Offline Brithunter

Actually if you get a new Norma catalogue you will surprised just how many folks Norma make brass for.

Now I see the 270 Win getting a little bit of a kicking. One must remember that back in 1925 there were few cartridges that gave the velocity and performance that the 270 Winchester did. I have to wonder why the performance has not improved what with the modern powders we now have have but the 270 Win has sort of been pinned to it's original level and I do wonder why that is.

As to being an odd ball size well so in .30 calibre. The .303 Britsh makes more sense size wise as the groove diameter is 5/16" whilst .308 is what exactly? the bore diameter .300 is nothing in fractions either the nearest being 19/64" ay 0.296875" so the .270 seen in that light is not more weird than the .30 calibre.

Offline rbursek

WOW, an other thread gone a stray!!! I have had/do 243 Win, 300Win Mag, 30-06, 270Win, 257 Roberts, 257AI, 257WM, 45-70 for hunting deer, lopes, elk and black bear, my son's use 257AI's for all that too, that is there only center fire rifles, and for hunting those animals use 115NP only. All have dropped them DRT or they went only about 30 yards, (elk and Bb). I have killed deer and lopes with the 243, 270, 257AI, 45-70, I have killed elk and BB with the 300Win Mag, and 270Win, BB with the 45-70. I just got the 257WM and have not used it yet. All kills were DRT or went just a few yards till the lungs bled out. In the lighter calibers I use Nosler PT's in the 270, and the 30's Sierra PntBT, and in the 45-70 all and anything kills!!
Now I am down to just a 257WM and a 45-70 for game. My point is all a certain cartridge gives you is different span of bullet wieghts and velocity. Yes the 270 could be the one gun, varmits to big bears, but I would rather use a 243/257 for varmiints and have better BC and SD for the same weight bullet then  270. 7mm, or 30 cal. Same thing as the game just got bigger, a larger caliber, a deer and lope have such a sensitive nerves system that anything will kill them, now when you get to elk and bb, it gets different, so a larger bullet is in order but not needed under the right conditions/50 yard shot.
All a Mag gives you is longer killing range and flatter trajectory over a non magnum cartridge. For most non magnums they are good out to 300 yards in there game class. How many here can say they can hit a 9" paper  plate at 300 yards in field conditions?? Usually off hand or prone with a make shift rest or bipod. I sure would struggle with it. So I think the last page and half has been egos arguing here and not looking at reality in the field or answering the OP. I paid 349.95 in Nov Cabellas door buster for my 257WM Vanguard, they flooded the market with them cheap, I was on a tight budget, could not pass it up, anything else would have cost me 200-300.00 more no matter what the caliber.
Bob
too many calibers, not enough hunting seasons

Offline Brithunter

He... Hee on another note I have just brought my first O'Connor book:-

The Art of Big Game Hunting in North America - Jack O'Connor. 1967 appears 1st Edition.

Just waiting on the post now. Have always been fond of the 270 Win for some reason so it should be interesting reading. It should be posted in the Morning (Monday).

As for Cabella's well on another forum just read a post from a chap who used to work in a large Gunshop and how despite them being a good loyal Remington trader for many years they got screwed over when a new  Big store came to town. The Remington rep called as per normal took their seasons order then a bit later they discovered that the new big store was selling the same Remingtons for less than Remington charged them for them. They stopped selling Remington's from that point on.

No wonder the normal Gunshops struggle with such underhand practices. I wonder how many think about such things before purchasing?

We see plenty of posts about the poor knowledge base and service at some of these big chain stores yet by supporting them we are actively helping the smaller shops that often do have the knowledge to close.

Offline mcwoodduck

The sum of my interest in the 257 Wby is going out of my way to say, "I am not interested in it"!   8)

Barstooler
I thought it was a strange varmibnt round until a friend showed me his.
Low recoil, 7mm Rem Mag ballistics, and kills deer sized game efficiently

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
guess you have to keep in mind that most people dont have the skill to shoot deer out at 400 yards and its good they dont want to try. Also many dont have a need to shoot deer at 400 yards. Where they hunt doesnt give them that oportunity. For the most part other then doing crop damage deer shooting 95 percent of my hunting could be done with a 3030. As a matter of fact i deer hunted regular season for almost 20 years using nothing but a sixgun. I dont know if I didnt have the oportunity that i do have whether id fool with one either and the extra cost of brass ect. But for what its good at its VERY GOOD.

Barstooler
I thought it was a strange varmibnt round until a friend showed me his.
Low recoil, 7mm Rem Mag ballistics, and kills deer sized game efficiently
blue lives matter

Offline Brithunter

Well just re-established contact with a friend in the US after a relocation and with it came an invite to go hunting. I understand it's a bit open where he is now in South Dakota. Am thinking the shots possibly offered may be longer than I am used to.

Now all we have to do it sort out enough funds to get a new passport and fund the trip ............................... LOL don't hold your breathe Lloyd but it sounds the right sort of country for such a cartidge does it not?

Of course one might have to amke so with a 25-06. 270 Win of .280 rem  ;D .

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
Well just re-established contact with a friend in the US after a relocation and with it came an invite to go hunting. I understand it's a bit open where he is now in South Dakota. Am thinking the shots possibly offered may be longer than I am used to.

Now all we have to do it sort out enough funds to get a new passport and fund the trip ............................... LOL don't hold your breathe Lloyd but it sounds the right sort of country for such a cartidge does it not?

Most of SD is the right kind of country, I have crossed it alot to hunt WY.
The cartridge & bullet selection is endless & to each his own, but the .257Wea. is a great choice for such hunting, but so are severl others. ;)

You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline mcwoodduck

A lot of the rifles you have shown will be fine to bring and hunt deer with.

Offline gunnut69

• Moderators
The biggest reason for the boom in small caliber cartridges and high velocity rounds are premium bullets availability. It just started with the Nosler and has progressed to some really super bullets.. The reality is that there precious little difference how they rounds kill,,with equal shot placement. It's fun to aurgue best calibers but the reality is dead is dead.. A slower heavier bullet can limit the trajectories a bit but it will also allow a standard cup-and-core bullet to penetrate very well indeed and with bullet prices skyrocketting a lot of money can be saved!! My favorite aurgument is that a caliber is more accurate than another! Totally discounting the variables of rifle/scope etc..!
gunnut69--
The 2nd amendment to the constitution of the United States of America-
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
Hunters I've known seem to go through a progression.  They get their first deer rifle, then they get a magnum rifle and start reloading.  They read several loading manuals cover to cover and droul over the velocity figures of magnum cartridges.  They get bitten and then purchase a few magnums.  Once they shoot them for a dozen years and get a few gray hairs to boot, they  often go back to a standard caliber and discover that accuracy is better, deer drop just as dead, and they have a lighter rifle to carry in the field.  Ain't no turning back at this point.  No more magnums.

Offline nomosendero

Hunters I've known seem to go through a progression.  They get their first deer rifle, then they get a magnum rifle and start reloading.  They read several loading manuals cover to cover and droul over the velocity figures of magnum cartridges.  They get bitten and then purchase a few magnums.  Once they shoot them for a dozen years and get a few gray hairs to boot, they setgo back to a standard caliber and discover that accuracy is just a better, deer drop just as dead, and they have a lighter rifle to carry in the field.  Ain't no turning back at this point.  No more magnums.

I guess I live in a time warp!  ;D I just bought another "volume" rifle, a 308 Rem SPS Tact, about to slip a Chote stock on it, but I am also working with a 264WM Number 1. Been shooting serious rifles since the mid 70's. Me and a friend I have known for years still are quite fond of the 300WM rounds, both of us shooting those dreadful heavy Sendero's. Both std. & magnums have their place for some & not for others.
And I kinda like that, I really don't want to be placed in some catagory just because I have shot for a long time.
And really for those who want a light rifle, getting one in 257Wea. is no trick, as the MKV Ultra lite does it well & others are easy to build, as the 257Wea. (the cartridge in question) is mild in recoil.
To each his own  ;)

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
I don't disagree with your opinion.  My experience is based upon Eastern NC friends of mine, and we rarely see a buck deer larger than 165 lbs.  Magnums are not necessary here but lots of us have bought them.  I own three, but they have been in the gun closet for over a decade except for three trips out west.

I've also had three rotator cuff surgeries.  Can you say ouch?

Offline nomosendero

I don't disagree with your opinion.  My experience is based upon Eastern NC friends of mine, and we rarely see a buck deer larger than 165 lbs.  Magnums are not necessary here but lots of us have bought them.  I own three, but they have been in the gun closet for over a decade except for three trips out west.

I've also had three rotator cuff surgeries.  Can you say ouch?

If I had those surgeries I would be in your camp I would bet.

We don't have to agree, we are in 2 different worlds on this one. I think alot of people fit your description, but alot of long range hunters would disagree & I don't mean ultra long range. Here in AR, MO, OK, TX, alot of our hunting is not long range either, but we are closer to the West & alot of us go almost every year. There are applications for us & due to that we tend to practice targets and Coyotes at long range alot, more often with std. rounds & then shoot the rifles we are going to take out West some. Age or gray hair doesn't change things for us until we get too old to carry anything or climb the mountains.

For some of the people I know that live in WY, they really shoot bigger rifles alot, as it is easy to set up for 1000yd. target shooting or whatever you like. The Rancher where we have been hunting has a benchrest table just out of the yard that looks out over the Prairie, it's easy to shoot targets at 800 yds. right there, you could say that they live in yet another world.

So to a large degree it's a regional thing.

And again, alot of this doesn't have much to do with the 257Wea. anyway.

I was just pointing out that there is not a cookie cutter pattern for all of us.