Author Topic: 35 whelen woes :( update :)  (Read 857 times)

Offline bucco921

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Contributor
35 whelen woes :( update :)
« on: March 25, 2012, 03:18:12 PM »
About 2 months ago I sent my whelen in for ftf issue. Gun was sent to warranty depot( classic arms) for repair. I call them after 5-6 weeks for an update and Im told "the gun was sent to ilion because the barrel was off center". At that point I contacted Brian and told him the deal. A week later I got my gun back from classic arms. I dont know if the gun was ever sent to ilion or not. I took it out today and went 10 for 10 with ftf on the first strike, some went off with second strike. The slip from classic arms said they replaced the t-bar and hammer spring.

Offline sr sawyer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (70)
  • A Real Regular
Re: 35 whelen woes :(
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 04:48:02 PM »
Mine is a CBA action that I bought a little over 2 years ago.  Have never shot anyhing but Hornady ammo in it and about two boxes of ammo and two deer later still have not had a FTF.

You might want to try a different ammo.  I have not heard any positive results about Remington ammunition for this caliber in the Handi.

Ken
NRA Life Member

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 11:53:21 PM »
Good morning,
 I have quoted myself from the 7/08 F.T.F. thread because much, if not all of it applies to your question. Also, all this information is in the FAQ's.

I know its frustrating, but 100% preventable/repairable.

CW

OK, first off sorry for the troubles.

You have two choices, fix yourself or have someone do it for you.  If new, maybe just return to Remington and let them deal with it.(Contact Brian again and set up returning to factory with his oversight)

If you wanna do it yourself, here is where we can help. Start with the basics, checking things.

1) Pin protrusion. With barrel off receiver, first cock hammer and pull trigger fully and lower hammer, holding trigger measure the amount the pin protrudes. Should be a min of .040. If at 40 or close you can increase by carefully grinding .010 or so off the hammer where it contacts the frame.

2) Head space. With barrel off and extractor OUT. Drop a shell in and using a straight edge look at the case head. It should be very close to flush. Your a reloader, think seating a primer. ever so slightly below flush is OK. Allot below, say .010+ NO GOOD, that is excessive and will result if stretched cases and frequent FTF's.

3) Something we know of is poor quality hammer springs. As a rule I swap in Wolffe springs before even firing a new H&R firearm. Brownells and Midway carry them.

4) The disconnector is another known problem. There was a sn range and I do not off the top of my head rem. But its in the FAQ's. The factory will fix this one free of charge IIRC.

5) You mentioned fully pulling the trigger, so you Know or have read about this possible issue. You need to fully and completely pull trigger to the rear. Inproperly done trigger jobs can also cause this problem.

6) Now look at your reloads. (Are you shooting re-loads or just factory?) Good on uniform and clean pockets! The suggestion of different primers is a good one as many have had issue with CCI's for being hard. But a good HD hammer spring (like the Wolffe) should take care of that!

Look at these things and get back to us!

GOOD LUCK,
 CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 09:01:17 AM »
About 2 months ago I sent my whelen in for ftf issue. Gun was sent to warranty depot( classic arms) for repair. I call them after 5-6 weeks for an update and Im told "the gun was sent to ilion because the barrel was off center". At that point I contacted Brian and told him the deal. A week later I got my gun back from classic arms. I dont know if the gun was ever sent to ilion or not. I took it out today and went 10 for 10 with ftf on the first strike, some went off with second strike. The slip from classic arms said they replaced the t-bar and hammer spring.

I'd contact Brian and follow his advice to get it fixed unless you really want to fix it yourself.  ;)

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php?action=profile;u=17873
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline bucco921

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 12:48:07 PM »
I sent brian some messages and im waiting for a reply. Im not fixing it myself. I called today and got the shipping label and sr #. Made sure the gun was going to ilion this time. Im gonna wait a couple days for brians reply. Customer service rep confirmed the gun was never sent to ilion from classic arms.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 02:42:58 PM »
I sent brian some messages and im waiting for a reply. Im not fixing it myself. I called today and got the shipping label and sr #. Made sure the gun was going to ilion this time. Im gonna wait a couple days for brians reply. Customer service rep confirmed the gun was never sent to ilion from classic arms.

OUCH.. Thats not good!! (I feared that was the case)

Good call, Illion will make it right, ESPECIALLY when Brian gets involved!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline bucco921

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 03:26:15 PM »
I dont know why they (classic arms) would say that. I have nothing nice to say about that place, and after a google search on them it seems no one else does either.

Offline bucco921

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 03:29:19 PM »
And for the record the cs rep. I talked to today was very helpful and understanding of my frustration.

Offline bucco921

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
Re: 35 whelen woes :( update :)
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 01:08:04 PM »
Brian emailed me today, upon inspection he found a bent firing pin and bad trigger extension. He cut the hammer slot, reamed the firing pin pocket, replaced the firing pin, firing pin spring and hammer extension.
Adjusted timing and gun was test fired 14 times with factory remington ammo. Still dont know what happened at classic arms.......

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 01:13:09 PM »
 8)
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 01:19:27 PM »
Still don't know what happened at classic arms.......

Ahem...... They lied...

GLAD Brian found the problems!!

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 04:58:06 PM »
I'd say a "strong talk" with Classic Arms is in order. ;)  Getting the runaround from them sucks plain and simple.

Spanky