Author Topic: Recrowning help  (Read 1156 times)

Offline txpitdog

• Trade Count: (0)
Recrowning help
« on: March 25, 2012, 03:56:51 PM »
Ok gents.  I lopped the barrel off at 16.5".  Damn thing chewed through 3 hacksaw blades, and I still had to finish it with a cutting wheel on my dremel tool.  Still have another 10-20 minutes of light finishing to the get the muzzle true and cleaned up, but all in all, it was very easy.

I was surprised that I could not find abrasive/polishing compound at HD, Lowe's or ACE.  I'm just gonna order some off MidwayUSA.  The other thing I could not find was this "stove bolt" that's referred to in the FAQ.  I couldn't find anything in brass, and all the carriage bolts that I found have the standard/grade on the head.  I figure this would chew into the muzzle unevenly, so I didn't get one.  I instead found an aluminum cabinet knob with a straight shank that fits my drill chuck.  Its got a deeper curvature than the carriage bolt, but it might work.  I just wanted to check here in case there are any suggestions for find the "stove bolt" or a carriage bolt without the grade on the head.

I'm going to use a polishing wheel and the 400 grit paste in my dremel to finish the muzzle, then I'll use that cabinet knob and more paste to recrown.

I was also thinking of going entirely with Williams Fire Sights and a WGRS ghost ring, but that will add $95 to my project.  This thing is all about cheap, do it yerself, and close enough is good enough.

Thanks!

Offline coalcifer

• Trade Count: (10)
Re: Recrowning help
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 04:29:42 PM »
Do you have a Lowes or Ace hardware nearby?  If not try the small local hardware stores for a carriage bolt or you could use a bolt from an old chrome bumper.  As for grinding compound, the valve grinding compound from an auto parts store works well.

Offline sr sawyer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (70)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 04:29:49 PM »
Generally specialty hardware such as brass stove bolts are found in drawers in the hardware section and are sold by each piece and not in packages.  This will be with the brass, stainless, hex head and other special fasteners in drawers about 12" wide and 2" deep by about 5 drawers high in the section just before you get to the packaged fasteners (at least that is the set-up at my Lowes).

For the abrasive grit you can probably find it at your local automotive store sold as valve grinding compound.  Comes in various grits and works just like any other.

Ken
NRA Life Member

Offline txpitdog

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 04:33:31 PM »
Thanks fellas.  I'll get the valve grinding compound and give that a try.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 04:36:20 PM »
  Let Larry Potterfield help you..you should find a brass screw at any hardware:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OorpZlG28fI
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 06:59:18 PM »
dog,

what caliber gun did you chop?   In the Sticky Thread for the GBO chamber reamer rental that also is a crown cutter, but I think it only goes up to for 22 & 30 cal.

BB

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,231528.0.html
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 11:47:30 PM »
Many things will work just fine in-place of the "stove bolt"  That was suggested as it should be easiest to find...  But different names and different products in different areas will prevail..

The alum part will not matter as to its shape, but may be too soft to work. No harm in trying!

All you need to do is uniform and de-burr the muzzle. The convex shape allows the "cut" to be below flush offering a bit of protection to the end of the rifleing. Check with a cotton ball, if the fibers are "grabbed" you still have burrs...

As Sr Sawer mentioned, My Lowes has the brass bolts in such drawers. Look to see if yours might too.

Good luck,

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline txpitdog

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 02:25:07 AM »
Thanks for the continued suggestions.  I'm working on a 45-70, so the bolt's gotta be a big'n!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 05:09:55 AM »
I use a ¼" shaft stone ball for the big bores, add a patch of leather and 600>1500 wet dry to finish.  ;)

Tim

http://www272.pair.com/stevewag/muzzle/mz.html
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 05:18:19 AM »
  Sounds good Tim..

That third way..I can't imagine anyone would try to do anything by spinning any steel object INSIDE the bore.. but 'it takes all kinds'... ;)   ;D
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline txpitdog

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 09:36:59 AM »
I really like the stove/carriage bolt method, but ALL of the ones I've looked at had the 3 letter standard on the head.   Won't this cause gouging or at least uneven grinding?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 09:59:49 AM »
That's a good reason to use the stone instead, they come in different grits, the white and pink(Ace Hardware) are much finer and work excellent, I did my octagon 444 Marlin and 405 Win barrels with one.  ;)

Tim

Offline txpitdog

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 10:11:58 AM »
Thanks!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2012, 10:28:40 AM »

Offline txpitdog

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2012, 12:58:35 PM »
Woohoo!  Advanced Auto Parts had the valve grinding compound and some bits that should work just fine.  Somebody is going to have a pretty, new muzzle tonight!

Total spent,  $11.67.

Offline Brewster

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2012, 01:22:23 PM »
One thing that worked for me to square up the hacksaw cut was to place a couple of wraps of masking tape around the barrel and then put on a hose clamp as a guide.  For the cut, file and stone.  The tape did a good job protecting the blue.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2012, 04:40:05 PM »
One thing that worked for me to square up the hacksaw cut was to place a couple of wraps of masking tape around the barrel and then put on a hose clamp as a guide.  For the cut, file and stone.  The tape did a good job protecting the blue.
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Good idea Brewster...

Offline txpitdog

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2012, 04:59:34 PM »
Ok, got it smoothed up and supposedly recrowned. Definitely some lessons learned on this project, which in part was the point.
Still have tool marks on the barrel face and the bevel on the crown at the barrel face, but the the crown itself should be good.  Won't know till I shoot it.

Now is just the insufferable waiting for my stock and cold blue (for the muzzle)  and trying to weasel a local gunsmith into drilling and tapping a front sight hole while I wait.

Thanks for all the help so far!

Lessons learned for posterity:

1.  Particularly for a 45-70 or 500S&WE, buy 7 of the same hacksaw blade to cut the barrel off.  I switched to my dremel to finish off the barrel cut, and the small difference in cut type magnified the cleanup grinding time significantly.

2. Grinding out tool marks is 10x the time it took to cut the barrel.

3.  You cannot do this project without a vise.

4.  It's easier than I thought it would be, it takes more patience than I thought it would, and it's more fun than I thought it would be.

Offline ratdog

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2012, 07:47:14 PM »
forget using a hack saw tape barrel where you want to cut it and use a sawsall fast and better control use fine blade i got this idea from quikto not much clean up on a bench table sander i am not going to crown mine right now shoots great 25 minute job. ;D

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2012, 06:16:19 AM »
forget using a hack saw tape barrel where you want to cut it and use a sawsall fast and better control use fine blade i got this idea from quikto not much clean up on a bench table sander i am not going to crown mine right now shoots great 25 minute job. ;D
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

You have a good point there ratdog, but of course, the angle grinder w/cutter can get out of line also.  Still, that is a very handy tool, which is my most commonly used tool in my blacksmith shop, next to my forge, anvil and hammers.  I rarely use a hacksaw very often, but I am not so sure everybody would have one.  However, if a person does any handyman work around home, plumbing, knife making or cutting metal for any reason..it's worth buying one.

Below is pictured a setup like mine with the grinder blade.  For cutting, I get the very thin blades, which are labeled to be .045" thick.
  BTW:  these thin abrasive blades last longer than many would think..

Offline Brewster

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2012, 07:22:11 AM »
My best cutting tool is 15 yrs old, 5'-10 and 170 lbs, and wants to take driver's ed real bad this spring.

Offline ratdog

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2012, 07:10:23 PM »
 i don't really like the angle grinder idea because of the heat it creates got one of those.and i didn't want a bur inside barrel.i have cut quite a few of with the old hack saw worked great but i am old and lazy now good luck shooting. ;)

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2012, 11:26:09 PM »
 Ratdog;
  Whatever works, different strokes...now go out and enjoy the new crown job... ;)

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2012, 03:26:56 AM »
Ya gotta buy the right tooth quality hacksaw blades, NOT the cheap 'Pacific Rim' ones; and use the proper hacksaw technique. Same for the hacksaw frame itself. I used the basic cheap one for years, then bought a good one as an indulgence; what a difference! Anyway, good tools used right, sharp quality blades and it is a snap. FWIW, I remember saving the blade for 'utility' work after one barrel and it worked well for a good long time.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974