Author Topic: My Hornet arrived, also first Handi-rifle!  (Read 493 times)

Offline Canuck Bob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
My Hornet arrived, also first Handi-rifle!
« on: March 26, 2012, 01:26:58 PM »
I picked up my hornet today.  I was very surprised by the fit and finish of my rifle.  For 270 bucks I have no complaints.  I did all the tests you guys suggested and the rifle locks up solid and has no play in the hinge or  telltale gaps at the breech.  The chamber is shallow enough for a good look and is concentric to the rifling. 

The trigger is acceptable.  I don't have a gauge but it sure is were I like it around 3, maybe 4, lbs for a working gun.  It is every bit as good as any trigger I have on my Marlins and Winchesters and they shoot pretty good. 

The synthetic stock, who am I kidding, the plastic stock really surprised me.  It was quite firm as I expected a Tupperware flexing in the butt.  Now I own my first black rifle!

With the apparent discontinued hornet status reported recently I'm happy to have one of the late versions.  I also picked up 2 boxes of Winchester ammo, ouch.  You can bet these empty brass will be reloaded real soon! I'm seriously considering the 55 Horn. SX bullet for a first try in a starting load range.  One of the best features of the Handi is the quick twist in my book.

I would send pictures but it is bone stock and looks just like all the other plastic stocked iron sighted blued rifles. 

A couple of concerns, researching a lower hammer mod is in order as I don't think I'd like the high scope rings if I scope it.  I think I'll try a WGRS first.  This little rifle is a dandy iron sighted rifle to my eye. 

The factory sights will get tested this weekend.  They are better than I expected.  I should note the only Handi's I've handled before are wood or laminate stocked rifles without sights.

Does repeated break down harm the rifle in any way?  I can't see how breaking it down for transport in my luggage can be harmful but thought I might ask.

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
Re: My Hornet arrived, also first Handi-rifle!
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 05:07:23 PM »
Welcome!  Be prepared to become a Handi-holic.  Some of us have it worse than others.  If you get a chance read the FAQ's, they will provide a lot of answers to questions you didn't even know you had.
Regarding your question:

Does repeated break down harm the rifle in any way?  I can't see how breaking it down for transport in my luggage can be harmful but thought I might ask.

If you are only talking about taking the barrel off and reattaching it, the answer is no.

"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline Canuck Bob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 05:38:51 AM »
Found the only apparent issue.  The forearm is not centered on the barrel.  Not done investigating but suspect that I'll relieve the channel as the hinge area is nice and tight.  I don't want to disturb this by accident.

Offline r29l20

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (26)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 09:41:51 AM »
If you relieve it by the hinge, it will probably center itself, mine did. You don't want them very tight there anyway. :)

Offline ratdog

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 06:57:56 PM »
i hope you enjoy the hornet i gave mine to my son 30 years ago he pulled it out and showed it to me saturday still fills snug brought back old memories . ;D

Offline nitesite

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 02:53:47 AM »
i hope you enjoy the hornet i gave mine to my son 30 years ago he pulled it out and showed it to me saturday still fills snug brought back old memories . ;D

That right there is a very col story!

Canuck Bob~  Glad you got a Handi and I'm sure you'll enjoy owning it.
Police Officer
US Army Vet
Reloader
Bullet Caster
Dog Lover