Author Topic: Hanoi jane to play Nancy Reagan. What a travesty.  (Read 1917 times)

Offline powderman

• Trade Count: (0)
Hanoi jane to play Nancy Reagan. What a travesty.
« on: March 27, 2012, 10:42:39 AM »
         YOUR FRIENDS' ACTIVITY   Movie Talk     Liberal Jane Fonda to Play Conservative Nancy ReaganBy Claudine Zap | Movie Talk – 1 hour 36 minutes ago      Photo by Jon Kopaloff/Brad Markel, Getty Images
Here's a shocking casting decision: Longtime liberal activist Jane Fonda longtime is set to play the revered republican Nancy Regan in the movie "The Butler." The Wrap has confirmed that the 74-year-old has signed on for the part.
According to Variety, the actress and activist would appear in a few scenes as the first lady, and the choice as Fonda doing Reagan could cast a political slant on the film. Some may argue that it's difficult to find a conservative actress in Hollywood, but Jane Fonda's history of progressive political activism sets her apart: Her opposition to the Vietnam War and a controversial visit to the country earned her the nickname "Hanoi Jane" by critics.
Variety is reporting that the Academy Award winner was tapped by director Lee Daniels ("Precious") to channel the first lady for his movie about the White House butler. The  historical drama is based on a story written in the Washington Post about a White House servant, Eugene Allen, who served eight presidents in the White House from Harry Truman through Ronald Reagan -— meaning plenty of chances for cameos from A-list actors.
[Also on Yahoo! Movies:'Breaking Dawn — Part 2' teaser trailer gives the first glimpse at the last 'Twilight']
The stellar cast may also include Forest Whitaker in the title role of butler Allen; Oprah Winfrey as Allen's wife; and Liam Neeson and John Cusack as Presidents Lyndon Johnson and Richard Nixon. Mila Kunis has been mentioned for the role of Jackie Kennedy.
Going public with the news to drum up interest before all casting is a done deal could be a play for financing and distribution, which is also not finalized, according to Variety.
The idea of the liberal activist portraying the iconic conservative doesn't seem to bother fans on the Web. One commented on the blog Vulture: "This is actually great casting." Another sniped, "With the plastic surgery and the color of her hair, she looks remarkably like Nancy in that picture. Jane has much better legs. Hopefully, she will get to wear the Galanos gowns." Another argued: "I'm a Reagan Republican but I am not concerned in the slightest."
The star next appears the indie flick "Peace, Love and Misunderstanding."
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • Trade Count: (77)
Re: Hanoi jane to play Nancy Reagan. What a travesty.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 10:46:54 AM »
Oh the irony.....
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline powderman

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 12:36:08 PM »
Oh the irony.....

YEP, tragic. A traitor playing a great American lady. I hope the film is a bust. POWDERMAN.  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Offline yellowtail3

• Oh father of the four winds, fill my sails!
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 01:05:04 PM »
Jane Fonda is beautiful - look at that pic! This will upset a certain, ah... ideological demographic... but they're easily upset.

Hang in there, Jane, you'll outlive some of the haters... come of whom even claim to be Christians, just like you!
Jesus said we should treat other as we'd want to be treated... and he didn't qualify that by their party affiliation, race, or even if they're of diff religion.

Offline james

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 01:16:10 PM »
Our forefathers will turn over in their graves.  In their time, being a traitor was a hanging offense.
Unfortunately, the younger generation doesn't know or care what Jane has done. 

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 01:32:42 PM »
  Anybody who praises Hanoi Jane for anything has joined her in spitting on tortured POW's graves..They are of the same ilk !
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline yellowtail3

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 01:45:43 PM »
  Anybody who praises Hanoi Jane for anything has joined her in spitting on tortured POW's graves..They are of the same ilk !
I think she's a cutie. She's a fellow believer for over ten years, and she is our fellow citizen. There you go.
Jesus said we should treat other as we'd want to be treated... and he didn't qualify that by their party affiliation, race, or even if they're of diff religion.

Offline dstegjas

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 02:05:19 PM »

I took this picture at the Vietnam Memorial wall about 4 years ago. My guess is that our soldiers are not going to forget any time soon. I also hope that the movie is a flop. If for no other reason then the insensitivity of the film makers hiring a traitor to play a First Lady of one of our most loved presidents.

Jim
Ohhh, so many guns and so little time to buy them.  :)

Offline -Shaggy-

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 02:30:09 PM »
There has to be someone who could play Nancy Reagan besides that tired old bag of guts.

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 02:36:05 PM »
Give me a break!
and who are they going to use as Ronnie,
John (seared in my brain--purple heart bandaid---I was in country) KERRY?

LONGTOM

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline yellowtail3

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 02:38:00 PM »

I took this picture at the Vietnam Memorial wall about 4 years ago.
The fellow in the picture... perhaps he really thinks Jane Fonda is to blame for Vietnam.

Offline dstegjas

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 02:55:24 PM »

The fellow in the picture... perhaps he really thinks Jane Fonda is to blame for Vietnam.

I am sure he is smart enough to know that she didn't start the war in Vietnam. He is also smart enough to know that she was a traitor by most peoples standards. If this guy served in Vietnam, he has every right to judge her in any way he wants to in my book.

Jim
Ohhh, so many guns and so little time to buy them.  :)

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 02:57:59 PM »
Jane Fonda is beautiful - look at that pic! This will upset a certain, ah... ideological demographic... but they're easily upset.

Hang in there, Jane, you'll outlive some of the haters... come of whom even claim to be Christians, just like you!
speaking of haters, you seem to hate Christians, patriots or anything good and decent.
you like murdering pedophiles and traitors.
I would hate to lead such a miserable life.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     bugeye

Offline ceadersavage2

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Contributor
  • Love to have live 200 years ago
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2012, 03:50:32 PM »
Her an this president are the biggest bunch of bull  crap to come down the pike ..Even old Henery didn't want her to much back then

Offline magooch

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2012, 04:04:15 PM »
This is the Hollyweird left sticking it in the eye of Reagan admirers.  I won't be watching the flick.
Swingem

Offline powderman

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2012, 04:04:15 PM »
Hanoi jane should have been tried for treason many years ago. Many Americans died needlessly thanks to traitors like her and kerry. The vc were ready to give up, quit, but she gave them hope, convinced the enemy that America was weak. They fought on, REAL Americans died because of her and other trash like her. POWDERMAN.  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2012, 05:30:23 PM »

NO did not start the war, but she did help to prolong it, she did help the enemy, she did stop bombings of the enemy by being there. 
Much like the peace morons that are against the current war only embolden our enemy and create more dead and wounded.
Having Jane pose with an anti aircraft crew and man the gun was less than partiotic.  Imagine one of todays starlets meeting with Al quieda and posing for the cameras with the sword that took the head off of one of our soldiers. 
When Jame returned to the US she should have had her pastport taken and sent right back on a plane back to N Viet Nam or given the choice to be tried as a traitor.

Offline srussell

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2012, 06:23:48 PM »
any one that wants war is crazy and needs to be locked up. but if our boys do go then weather you believe in it or not you support them all the way. hanoi jane is a traitor and should be treated as so.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2012, 11:34:01 PM »
  Yes; and Benedict Arnold was a hero of the Revolutionary War..  just not OUR hero.... ;)   ;D

Actually, traitors are not "heroes" to the people who use them either; who will ever trust a traitor ?  Arnold died in miserable obscurity..

The fact that Fonda is still walking around loose.. is evidence that she has many "fellow travellers" in the general population.
   Some may even be visiting this forum !
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline jlwilliams

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2012, 01:00:30 AM »
  Sounds like an interesting movie, but maybe I'll just read the book.  I remember hearing about it when the man retired and wrote his memoir. 

We'll see if Fonda does a good job in the roll, or if she uses it as a platform for a character assasination.  One would hope that the portrayals of the people mirror the way those same people were portrayed in the book.  Not that this man's recollections and opinions are the carved in stone truth of the white house occupants, but if it's a movie based on his recollections it should depict them accurately.

I recently watched "Nixon" and was surprised that it wasn't a complete hatchet job.  The movie was a who's who of Hollywood and I expected it to rip Nixon completely to shreads.  It actually wasn't that bad.  Didn't make the man look like a saint, but it didn't paint him to be a monster either.

The irony of life long far left activist portraying Mrs Reagan raises an eyebrow at the least.

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2012, 01:34:05 AM »

I am sure he is smart enough to know that she didn't start the war in Vietnam. He is also smart enough to know that she was a traitor by most peoples standards. If this guy served in Vietnam, he has every right to judge her in any way he wants to in my book.

Jim

+1 to the statement by dstegias
  I totally agree!!!

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline Conan The Librarian

• McDonalds. Blecch!
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2012, 02:05:10 AM »
Actors are in the business of portraying people that they are not, so I don't see any inconsistency there. I have never seen any of her movies, but she has a long history of working in successful films, and she can probably do a good job in this role.

She may also be a good choice because of all the free publicity the film will get through controversy. Most people don't know or care about vietnam, it's Now just something for old people to remember.

http://listverse.com/2010/07/04/top-10-traitors-in-us-history/

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2012, 02:45:54 AM »

They say Benidict Arnold was a fine looking man in his day but he was a traitor . She was also it has little to do with her looks. I don't hate her , I reconise her for what she was . She chose not to support American troops and support the enemy much like BA so I choose not to support her . She exersiced her freedom I will mine and I hope enough others will to cause the movie to flop. The thing is she has not admited her mistake so she must still feel she was right .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline yellowtail3

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2012, 03:32:15 AM »
The thing is she has not admited her mistake so she must still feel she was right .
No flame or antagonism intended, SHOOTALL, but that isn't quite true. Fonda has repeatedly said that the AA gun photo was a dimbulb move.
I grew up in and indulged in the bash-Fonda culture; I'm a veteran and son of a Vietnam veteran who saw combat, and am at least moderately knowledgeable on the issues of that time. Lots of documentation of Fonda's views on her activism (and specifically the infamous AA gun photo) out there... this copied & pasted from wiki article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Fonda
All that said... I'm a fan of 2nd chances, the Golden Rule, and never forgetting that no one is just one thing. From wiki:
In North Vietnam, Fonda was photographed seated on an anti-aircraft battery; the controversial photo outraged a number of Americans.[31] In her 2005 autobiography, she writes that she was manipulated into sitting on the battery; she had been horrified at the implications of the pictures and regretted they were taken. In a recent entry at her official website, Fonda explained:
It happened on my last day in Hanoi. I was exhausted and an emotional wreck after the 2-week visit ... The translator told me that the soldiers wanted to sing me a song. He translated as they sung. It was a song about the day 'Uncle Ho' declared their country's independence in Hanoi's Ba Dinh Square. I heard these words: "All men are created equal; they are given certain rights; among these are life, Liberty and Happiness." These are the words Ho pronounced at the historic ceremony. I began to cry and clap. These young men should not be our enemy. They celebrate the same words Americans do. The soldiers asked me to sing for them in return ... I memorized a song called Day Ma Di, written by anti-war South Vietnamese students. I knew I was slaughtering it, but everyone seemed delighted that I was making the attempt. I finished. Everyone was laughing and clapping, including me ... Here is my best, honest recollection of what happened: someone (I don't remember who) led me towards the gun, and I sat down, still laughing, still applauding. It all had nothing to do with where I was sitting. I hardly even thought about where I was sitting. The cameras flashed ... It is possible that it was a set up, that the Vietnamese had it all planned. I will never know. But if they did I can't blame them. The buck stops here. If I was used, I allowed it to happen ... a two-minute lapse of sanity that will haunt me forever ... But the photo exists, delivering its message regardless of what I was doing or feeling. I carry this heavy in my heart. I have apologized numerous times for any pain I may have caused servicemen and their families because of this photograph. It was never my intention to cause harm.[32]

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2012, 03:36:53 AM »
Going was a dumb move IMHO. Has she admited she was wrong about that ? BTW did I mention the picture ? NO .
She is living free in America , if that wasn't a second chance what is ? BA didn't get a second chance. Many Americans have done far less and lost their rights .

Offline yellowtail3

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2012, 03:41:20 AM »
I mentioned the photo because it is pretty damning.

On her anti-war advocacy... I'll skip getting into that, but she wasn't the only one engaged in it, and a good argument can be made that with our own gov't lying about the war/reasons, people needed to step in. Read Jim Stockdale's In Love and War sometime, where he recounts the mission he flew over Turner Joy and Maddox in August of 64, and how that which never happened was used as pretense for the Tonkin Gulf Resolution, for starters.

Ooops... I said I wouldn't go into it... I'll skip on over to another thread.

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2012, 03:58:37 AM »
Let's see....Ms. Fonda is a pretty good and accomplished actress. Still atractive enough that Nancy R might be flatered having Fonda portray her. And let's see, rank and file conservatives think she should be denied a job assignemnet, black balled, on account of political views she had 40 years ago, and which she apologized having.  Where have I heard of this stuff before..!?
...TM7
Let's see we hear it from the left all the time.
Reporters fired for asking real questions of the Democrats, and the fake reporters that made up left leaning stories were promoted.
Actors and sports figures that show conservitive or Republican ideas, are not hired or shows are canceled.
With a Jane Fonda movie, I will not be spending my $ on it.  I can vote with my dollars. 
I am also going ot question the content of a movie that would hire Fonda to play Nancy Reagan.  Kind of like having Jim Carry to play Abe Lincoln.
There was a bar in NJ I went to that had a Hanoi Jane Urinal target.   
I think a lot of people processed beer there for the target practice.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2012, 04:05:07 AM »
I mentioned the photo because it is pretty damning.

On her anti-war advocacy... I'll skip getting into that, but she wasn't the only one engaged in it, and a good argument can be made that with our own gov't lying about the war/reasons, people needed to step in. Read Jim Stockdale's In Love and War sometime, where he recounts the mission he flew over Turner Joy and Maddox in August of 64, and how that which never happened was used as pretense for the Tonkin Gulf Resolution, for starters.

Ooops... I said I wouldn't go into it... I'll skip on over to another thread.
Well what others did may be wrong no doubt but we are talking about her . She didn't confront her govt. she tried to illegaly talk with an enemy. Reports from them after the war show that they were ready for stopping the war until her visit . As for lies , a great man once stated in war truth must be guarded with a body guard of lies. One must also realize Viet Nan was but one big battle in the Cold War. That is where most get confused as they see it as one war into itself and can't see why we were there. That is not mentioned to justify or support the wat in VN just to point out the perspective it should be viewed from in my opinion. BTW at the time were were fighting I did not agree with it 100% , had my doubts but supported both my country and military .
I choose not to support her like she chose not to support America. I don't buy Reba CDs since she got into the gun buy back programs . BTW if either need HVAC or PLUMBING work I don't expect either to support me  ;)

Offline powderman

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2012, 04:14:37 AM »
When Jame returned to the US she should have had her passport taken and sent right back on a plane back to N Viet Nam or given the choice to be tried as a traitor.

BINGO. I have no use for her. Prob is that our younger libbys have no idea what she did, and don't care. A lot of Americans blood on her hands. POWDERMAN.  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2012, 04:19:01 AM »
When Jame returned to the US she should have had her passport taken and sent right back on a plane back to N Viet Nam or given the choice to be tried as a traitor.

BINGO. I have no use for her. Prob is that our younger libbys have no idea what she did, and don't care. A lot of Americans blood on her hands. POWDERMAN.  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

by not supporting her now the American people get to show their position on the matter.