Author Topic: All quiet on the western front.  (Read 1552 times)

Offline mauser98us

• Trade Count: (40)
  • 10 mm junkie and Whelan wacko
All quiet on the western front.
« on: March 27, 2012, 04:50:15 PM »
Nothing going on here in Arizona. Couple months away from the deer lottery.Just watching the temps starting to rise,dreading another summer.

Offline bigswede

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Contributor
Re: All quiet on the western front.
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 05:45:42 PM »
There are a lot of pissed off people around here.  The wolves are absolutely devastating the critters around here, especially the elk.  About 20 years ago we had more elk than Colorado in Idaho, unit 6 which starts at the on one side of St. Maries where I live use to have the highest elk harvest in the state.  This year there will be NO cow season at all, the bull season will be 10-14 days, haven't seen a definate number on that one yet.  A few units that extend  surrounding us will have limited draw cow hunts.  The Fish and Game estimate the once mighty St. Joe Valley elk herd is down by 60% in the last 4 years alone.  I hope something improves soon so maybe may children will have a chance to hunt elk in there lifetimes without haveing to go to another state.  Ok, I'm done with my rant how is everybody else doing?
"LIVE TO HUNT, HUNT TO LIVE"

Offline mauser98us

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 06:03:50 PM »
Actually minus the desert units,which are suffering mightly from this draught of ten years,the wooded areas of the state are doing pretty well. Especially the areas burned by big fires ten years ago.

Offline bigswede

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 01:57:06 AM »
Those burned over areas can be pretty awesome after a few years.  I've had some good hunting in burns over the years.  Our deer are doing all right up here, the wolves just seem to hammer the elk.  There were 374, wolves killed state wide this season.  Not nearly enough.  The fish and game estimates they kill about 8000+ elk a year,  there estimates are usually on the low side.  So, its probably way higher.

Offline freddogs

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 06:24:52 AM »
I think everyone has sent their applications and are just waiting. I know I am. Time to start working on rifle loads just for fun.

Offline mauser98us

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 05:02:17 PM »
Deer regs here not ready til mid-May with closing by mid June.

Offline bigswede

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 01:13:47 AM »
Me and the wife put in for moose and some extra doe tags just in case everything else is a flop.

Offline Pot-Bellied Stallion

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 03:36:32 AM »
I hunted Unit 6 last season about 25 miles North of Clarkia, and Unit 6 season before last about 15 miles Southeast of Clarkia.  Got into a few last year(all cows) but nothing the year before.  Between the wolves and the clearcutting, the elk are being run out of Northern Idaho in droves.  If thing don't change, Idaho will be closing all elk seasons within a few years.
Thanks for the stump

The older I get, the better I was.

Offline mauser98us

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2012, 04:36:19 PM »
Here in Arizona, the elk situation is improving at a rapid rate.

Offline bigswede

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 01:34:22 AM »
I hunted Unit 6 last season about 25 miles North of Clarkia, and Unit 6 season before last about 15 miles Southeast of Clarkia.  Got into a few last year(all cows) but nothing the year before.  Between the wolves and the clearcutting, the elk are being run out of Northern Idaho in droves.  If thing don't change, Idaho will be closing all elk seasons within a few years.

Yeh, unit 6 is in a sad state of affairs. No cow season at all this year.  Found out last week me and the wife didn't draw for moose either, darnit anyways.