Author Topic: Sportster vs Rossi weight wise?  (Read 1773 times)

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
Sportster vs Rossi weight wise?
« on: March 28, 2012, 02:14:35 PM »
Did a lot of searching to find the weights of each.  The Sportster was listed as 5.5 Lbs and the Rossi as 6 even.  However after finding both in the used section of my local store I found that the slender little frame on the Rossi seemed a lot lighter.  It didn't have that "12 Ga" outside diameter the Sportster had.  Didn't care for that silly little safety at all though.  Looking for the lightest little carry rifle I can get in .22 Mag and I'm not sure the Rossi even comes in .22 Mag.  Most have youth stocks on them but that can be changed.  Anyone know the weights on these things?

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
Re: Sportster vs Rossi weight wise?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 02:02:06 AM »
I have a crickett 22lr, if I bought a 22mag, it would be another crickett.  2.5 pounds is really light.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 04:52:08 AM »
Oh, I've handled a Cricket.  It was the lightest I've ever seen.  Not real fond of the 12" LOP though but the short bolt length was a real plus.  I've heard you can get an adult stock for it but not sure.  Youth rifles, like age, is wasted on the young.   ;)

Offline BUGEYE

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 04:59:07 AM »
Oh, I've handled a Cricket.  It was the lightest I've ever seen.  Not real fond of the 12" LOP though but the short bolt length was a real plus.  I've heard you can get an adult stock for it but not sure.  Youth rifles, like age, is wasted on the young.   ;)
there is a walnut adult stock for $50
I put a 1" spacer between the stock and buttplate on mine.
but of the two choices in the OP, I would go with the sportster.
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 05:21:16 AM »
Just got off of the Cricket site.  They have an adult stocked (14.5" LOP) .22 WMR however, I would like to know what kind of sights they have also.  I really prefer a bead over the post type.  They rifle I'm looking for will not be scoped.  I have a CZ with a (4.5-14) Simmons for that.

Offline BUGEYE

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 05:33:32 AM »
Just got off of the Cricket site.  They have an adult stocked (14.5" LOP) .22 WMR however, I would like to know what kind of sights they have also.  I really prefer a bead over the post type.  They rifle I'm looking for will not be scoped.  I have a CZ with a (4.5-14) Simmons for that.
they have a very simple peep and blade.  I put a touch of gold paint at the top of the blade and it works well.  however, I'm trying to find a tiny orange bead or a sequin or something to glue to the blade.
love my cricket.
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline ratdog

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 07:17:08 PM »
they also make a cricket pistol that is cool really fits the hand good. :D

Offline BUGEYE

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 01:38:18 AM »
I've never handled one, but I would guess that a good pistolero could do good work with it.
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 04:52:17 AM »
I have both the Rossi youth model and the Chipmunk Pistol.  I reamed the Rossi to 22 Mag and the pistol was a mag from the factory.  The rossi is very light, I would guess about 5 pounds with a scope.  The chipmunk pistol shoots as well as the Rossi, so if you can do with the pistol then that would be the thing to go with.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 01:30:29 AM »
How does your reamed Rossi shoot in .22 Mag?  I was right, they have dropped the mag so reaming is the only way to get one.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2012, 05:33:24 AM »
It shoots fine, no problems at all.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2012, 08:17:37 AM »
Thanks.  I will check you price of the reamer.  I know where I can get a used Rossi in .22lr.
BTW, how do you cope with the safety?  So you just put it on fire and simply use the hammer normally or leave it cocked and use the safety only.  I would do the former or see if I could remove the thing totally.

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2012, 03:56:50 AM »
Thanks.  I will check you price of the reamer.  I know where I can get a used Rossi in .22lr.
BTW, how do you cope with the safety?  So you just put it on fire and simply use the hammer normally or leave it cocked and use the safety only.  I would do the former or see if I could remove the thing totally.
The only Rossi I own is the 50Cal BP model.  I always leave the safety (off) in the fire position, and cock the hammer back, when I'm ready to shoot.  The best safety in the world is the one between your ears.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2012, 03:42:11 PM »
I've never handled one, but I would guess that a good pistolero could do good work with it.
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Bugeye;
  Try a little piece of weed whacker line & some 2-part epoxy
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline BUGEYE

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2012, 01:43:01 AM »
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Bugeye;
  Try a little piece of weed whacker line & some 2-part epoxy
never thought of that, thx...  I have some bright orange that would be perfect.
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2012, 05:17:01 AM »
what kind of groups can you get with that simple Peep and blade BUGEYE?  I'm not that picky and anything under 1 inch at 25yds would do.  Also is the peep fairly stable or does it get knocked off of aim now and then and where did you get the 1 inch spacer for your stock?  Don't mean to ask so many questions but I'm real close to talking myself into a Cricket.

Offline BUGEYE

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2012, 05:25:02 AM »
what kind of groups can you get with that simple Peep and blade BUGEYE?  I'm not that picky and anything under 1 inch at 25yds would do.  Also is the peep fairly stable or does it get knocked off of aim now and then and where did you get the 1 inch spacer for your stock?  Don't mean to ask so many questions but I'm real close to talking myself into a Cricket.
no problem getting under an inch at 25yds. mine does that at 35yds.  the peep is not as sturdy as a williams etc., but the action is not made for aftermarket peeps.  I'm real careful when carrying it, so no problem knocking it out of line.
I made my spacer from a 1" thick piece of cypress board and made it black with a magic marker.
not pretty, but it works for me.
after using my cricket for a while, my savage mark II stays home.  too heavy.
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline BUGEYE

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2012, 01:38:49 PM »
off topic but I wanted to answer Ironglows suggestion about weed whacker line.....
I checked my orange line and it was too big. but your suggestion made me start thinking along that line and I found the perfect answer to cricket sights.
I stripped a piece of insulation from a tiny wire from a defunct telephone, slightly longer than the sight blade. slit one side the length of the blade dab some super-glue gel and slip it on. this gives you a small round thing that will hold a dab of paint, fingernail polish etc. worked great.

I hope this made sense.  the sight blade is very thin on top and hard to see. this is the solution.

btw, when I say that I did something, it's usually my wife doing it.
I shake too much for fine work.
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2012, 12:00:37 AM »
  Good thinking Bugeye..

JPShaw;
      I have the Sporter, the Versa Pack and I got my grandaughter the Rossi matched pair.....all 3-4 years ago.
     Weight feels about the same, perhaps slightly less on the Rossi.  After the years of use, were I to do it again..it would only be the Handi rifles.
   If I were looking for quality along with weight reduction....I'd look seriously at Cricket.
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2012, 05:39:46 AM »
off topic but I wanted to answer Ironglows suggestion about weed whacker line.....
I checked my orange line and it was too big.
The weed whacker lines come in different sizes.  Maybe IG could send you a piece.  If you want to try the green colored type line,  I have the .080"/2mm green size.  If you want, let me know how long of a piece you need.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline BUGEYE

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2012, 05:48:04 AM »
I checked my orange line and it was too big.
The weed whacker lines come in different sizes.  Maybe IG could send you a piece.  If you want to try the green colored type line,  I have the .080"/2mm green size.  If you want, let me know how long of a piece you need.
thanks anyway, but this wire insulation is perfect. I chose black because it matches the sight.
then a dab of gold model paint gave me a perfectly round small gold bead.  I'm happy as a hog.
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye