Author Topic: 2.5" Blakely or what in this 1960 photo?  (Read 382 times)

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
2.5" Blakely or what in this 1960 photo?
« on: March 28, 2012, 04:52:13 PM »
A friend had this old Polaroid photo taken at the Washington Navy Yard in 1960.  The bore measured 2.5 inches and of course there was no sign of any kind.  This is one of a pair; I'd post the other pic but is only shows the center of the tube.  These tubes are not in the Navy Yard nor in the museum now, but they could be in the remote storage site, who knows.  The breech on this one looks like it must have had a bronze cap over it at one time, you just wouldn't put that out for troops the way it is in the pic, too hard to handle. 

So exactly what is it?

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: 2.5" Blakely or what in this 1960 photo?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 08:20:43 PM »
I have no ideas on this one, but it honestly looks like the muzzle's been cut off. Are these cannon rifled?
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: 2.5" Blakely or what in this 1960 photo?
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 03:34:52 AM »
Are these cannon rifled?

The entire collection of information we have on this and the mate to it consists of the two photos plus "2.5-inch bore."  If I can find out any more through official channels or otherwise, I'll post it here.