Author Topic: Info on loading for a Hornet with RCBS 22-055-sp  (Read 471 times)

Offline Sixgun

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Info on loading for a Hornet with RCBS 22-055-sp
« on: January 27, 2004, 05:08:44 AM »
I got a good deal on a RCBS 55gr 22cal mould and decided to bite.  It was $40 for a new one.

I have been kicking around the idea of useing cast bullets in my 10 inch Hornet barrel for NRA Hunter pistol Silhouette.  I already use cast bullets for NRA Cowboy rifle Silhouette in my 357mag rifle and have had excellent results with 5 gr of Bullseye and a 166 gr lee cast swc bullet.

With the Hornet I would like to get between 1500 and 1600 fps.  The bullets that W30wcf sent me got good accuracy in this volicity range with 4 gr of Win231.

Has anyone used this bullet and can you give me any feedback on what you use for powder and lead.  Are gas checks necessary or can I do good without.  I know that with some of my moulds the bullets perform better without and some work better with.  Probably the first thing I will try will be unsized, no gascheck, with 4 gr of 231, or about the same of unique  or bullseye.  

If anyone has any suggestions or actual experience with this, let me know.

Thanks, Sixgun
You can only hit the target if the barrel is pointed in the right direction when the bullet leaves the barrel.

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
Info on loading for a Hornet with RCBS 22-0
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2004, 06:56:49 AM »
I doubt you'll be very happy with those bullets an no gaschecks at the speed you'll be getting with 4.0gr. 231. You will be close to 1800 fps or better with that combo - you get a lot of speed out of that little case for very little powder! I have had good luck with them ungaschecked at much lower speed, around 1100 fps with 1.5gr. Red Dot for a .22LR duplicating load. For silhouette I have been using 8.0gr. WC820 (AA#9 or H110 is close) for about 1800 fps. That seems to be the sweet spot, fast enough to not need sight changes but not fast enough to tear up the chickens or kick too much. I make them out of range scrap or wheelweights/tin, and water drop them for added hardness. Sized at .225, and coated with Lee tumble lube they work great in my TC. I have been wanting to try some other powders, and I'm thinking around 5.0gr. Herco will work well. We'll see when there's time to load some and get to the range!
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline w30wcf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Info on loading for a Hornet with RCBS 22-0
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2004, 10:30:36 PM »
Sixgun,

Glad to hear that those bullets worked out well  for you.  I do not have any experience with the 55gr. RCBS but since it is in same weight range, I would think that it would perform similarily in the same velocity range.  

Since a 55 gr. bullet is heavy for the  typical twist in a .22 Hornet bbl, you will probably find that velocity will need to be at least 1,500 f.p.s. to get consistant accuracy.  At least that was the case with my Win. '43.

3.8 /231 /CCI 500 gave  1,659 f.p.s. with a 55 gr. NEI bullet and 1,603 f.p.s. with the 59 gr. 225462 in my '43's 24" barrel.

With regards to gas checks, for best accuracy, you will probably definitely need them at those velocities with fast burning powders, but it never hurts to try.  I get good accuracy with a lighter 45 gr. cast bullet w/o the gas check at 1,500 f.p.s., but not quite as good as with a gas check.

w30wcf
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka John Kort
Life Member NRA
.22 WCF, .30WCF, .44WCF cartridge historian