Author Topic: ATK gets contract for up to 450 MILLION hp bullets for homeland security.  (Read 2481 times)

Offline powderman

• Trade Count: (0)
 Why Does The Department Of Homeland Security Need 450 MILLION Hollow Point Bullets?   Somebody out there has decided that the Department of Homeland Security needs a whole lot of ammunition.  Recently it was announced that ATK was awarded a contract to provide up to 450 MILLION hollow point bullets to the Department of Homeland Security over the next five years.  Is it just me, or does that sound incredibly excessive?  What in the world is the DHS going to do with 450 million rounds?  What possible event would ever require that much ammunition?  If the United States was ever invaded, it would be the job of the U.S. military to defend the country, so that can't be it.  So what are all of those bullets for?  Who does the Department of Homeland Security plan to be shooting at?  According to the U.S. Census, there are only about 311 million people living in the entire country.  So why does the Department of Homeland Security need 450 million rounds of ammunition?  Either this is an incredible waste or there is something that the Department of Homeland Security is not telling us.
I could understand if the U.S. military was ordering ammunition in this quantity.  When you fight wars you can go through ammunition very rapidly.
But the Department of Homeland Security is only supposed to be shooting at people very rarely.
It simply does not make sense that they would need so much ammunition.
The following is an excerpt from the official press release about this deal between ATK and the Department of Homeland Security....

ATK announced that it is being awarded an Indefinite Delivery/Indefinite Quantity (IDIQ) agreement from the Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (DHS, ICE) for .40 caliber ammunition. This contract features a base of 12 months, includes four option years, and will have a maximum volume of 450 million rounds.
ATK was the incumbent and won the contract with its HST bullet, which has proven itself in the field. The special hollow point effectively passes through a variety of barriers and holds its jacket in the toughest conditions. HST is engineered for 100-percent weight retention, limits collateral damage, and avoids over-penetration.
"We are proud to extend our track record as the prime supplier of .40 caliber duty ammunition for DHS, ICE," said Ron Johnson, President of ATK's Security and Sporting group. But this is not the only kind of ammo that the DHS is placing an order for.
Business Insider is also reporting that the Department of Homeland Security is seeking to buy 175 million rifle ammunition rounds....

We've also learned that the Department has an open bid for a stockpile of rifle ammo. Listed on the federal business opportunities network, they're looking for up to 175 million rounds of .233 caliber ammo to be exact. The 223 is almost exactly the same round used by NATO forces, the 5.56 x 45mm. This all comes at a time when gun sales are absolutely going through the roof in the United States.
Gun manufacturer Sturm, Ruger & Co. recently announced that it would be suspending new orders until May because it received orders for more than one million guns during the months of January and February.
The following announcement about this suspension of sales comes from their official website....

• The Company's Retailer Programs that were offered from January 1, 2012 through February 29, 2012 were very successful and generated significant orders from retailers to independent wholesale distributors for Ruger firearms.
  • Year-to-date, the independent wholesale distributors placed orders with the Company for more than one million Ruger firearms.
  • Despite the Company's continuing successful efforts to increase production rates, the incoming order rate exceeds our capacity to rapidly fulfill these orders. Consequently, the Company has temporarily suspended the acceptance of new orders.
  • The Company expects to resume the normal acceptance of orders by the end of May 2012.
Since Barack Obama first took office, gun sales in America have risen to extraordinary levels.
Overall, more than 10 million guns were sold in the United States during 2011.
And gun sales have continued to rise at a brisk pace in 2012.  The following was recently posted on Yahoo News....

The NSSF said that 920,840 instant criminal background checks were made in January alone, a gain of 17.3% over the same month in 2011. This now makes it the 20th consecutive month of increases. While using the number of background checks is a good measurement of sales, it doesn't paint the whole picture as some checks are used for the purchases of multiple firearms. Also, some private transfers and sales from gun shows are exempt, making the actual number of guns sold higher. According to Gallup, 41 percent of all Americans said that they owned a gun in 2010.  But when that question was asked again in 2011, that number had risen to 47 percent.
Clearly, a lot of Americans are feeling the need to arm themselves.
Unfortunately, they may find themselves short on ammunition for those guns considering how much ammo the government is buying up.
So what is causing everyone to buy so many guns?
Well, without a doubt we are likely to see a rise in crime as the U.S. economy continues to crumble.  People want to be able to protect themselves and their families when everything falls apart.  In fact, we are already starting to see some really violent home invasions in many parts of the nation.  Many in the prepper movement are deeply concerned about the direction this country is headed and they want to be prepared for whatever happens.
Of course the rising gang problem in America is a major concern too.  According to the FBI there are now 1.4 million gang members living in the United States, and that number has increased by 40 percent since 2009.  Many urban communities have essentially been taken over by these gangs, and many of these gangs are definitely not shy about using violence.  Average Americans that live in these communities want to be able to have a fighting chance against these gangs.
But that doesn't explain why the DHS needs so much ammunition.  Yes, our world is becoming increasingly unstable, but under what conditions does the DHS ever anticipate firing off 450 million rounds?
Something does not add up.  If anyone has a possible explanation for why the DHS would need 450 million rounds of ammunition, please post a comment and share your thoughts with us below....
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline jcn59

• Trade Count: (37)
Maybe the word will get out that obama is a fake, and congress knew it all along.  Maybe there won't be another presidential election.....like I told ya 4 years ago? ???  Maybe DHS will set out to confiscate all privately owned guns?  Maybe, maybe, maybe......we better stock up on ammo...
Vote them all out, EVERY election!

Does anyone remember the scene from "Quigley Down Under" showing the aborigines lined up on the skyline as far as you could see?   That needs to be US!
NRA Life Member

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Link to the website that this was posted please. 

I'm voting 3rd party in this election by writing in Jesus Christ for president.  Sadly even if this were an option most of you would still vote Republican because "It's a two party system."

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
How many employees does DHS have?  How many rounds per person is this?  Wow!  Thats a  lot of ammo!

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Link to the website that this was posted please.
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Here's your link;
  http://www.infowars.com/why-does-the-department-of-homeland-security-need-450-million-hollow-point-bullets/

It was VERY EASY to find, all I had to do was Google it and Wallah..many sites showed up.
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

For personal reasons, I am pleased to hear that ATK got the contract.  ATK is the contractor which operates Lake City Ammunition Plant for the Army.  It is the largest ammunition plant in the US, making ammo for all our forces and most of Nato, plus other nations ..Israel etc.   They do QUALITY work..
   Actually 450 million rounds is not a huge order for them, although that is a large order for pistol (and some sub MGs) rounds.
  Other rounds, 175 million .223 (5.56) is a "drop in the bucket", when you figure one minigun eats up 10,000 rounds per minute.

Be pleased the contract is being issued here in the US.. the folks around Independence, MO will thank you..

More videos on youtube;   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQquwkALxa4
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline 52bagman

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
Am I thinking right that hollow points are against Geneva Convention Rules? Oh yeah "convention" rules are for the enemies demise and not American citizens, so I guess our "Government" could use hollow points on it's citizens.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
Am I thinking right that hollow points are against Geneva Convention Rules? Oh yeah "convention" rules are for the enemies demise and not American citizens, so I guess our "Government" could use hollow points on it's citizens.

I Don't know for sure, but I doubt Homeland Defense is affected by Geneva convention..
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
Sure seems like alot of ammo to me. I wouldn't think that all the police depts. combined in the U.S. would use that much in 5 years. If there are 10,000 Homeland Security officers, that would amount to 45,000 rds per person. Could be their going to expand into Obama's civilian military that he talked about. Good way of arming a force. Order the ammo, disband Homeland Security, distribute the ammo on the sly. Not inconceivable. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline Brewster

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
Homeland Security also contracted with Winchester in the summer of 2009 for 200 million rounds of the same.  These folks are just chewing up ammo playing with their MP5/40's.

Offline powderman

I don't understand why HS would need HPS for practice, and I'm not aware of any shooting action they are involved with.
IG. Thanks for posting the link. I find it's usually easier to post the story than to go back and get the link then copy and paste it too. POWDERMAN.  ;D ;D
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Offline Cuts Crooked

I don't understand why HS would need HPS for practice, and I'm not aware of any shooting action they are involved with.
IG. Thanks for posting the link. I find it's usually easier to post the story than to go back and get the link then copy and paste it too. POWDERMAN.  ;D ;D

Pretty sure they are required to qualify with the ammo they will be carrying. No point in buying something else to practice with.
Smokeless is only a passing fad!

"The liar who charms and disarms and wreaths himself in artifice is too agreeable to be called a demon. So we adopt the word "candidate"." Brooke McEldowney

"When a dog has bitten ten kids I have trouble believing he would make a good childs companion just because he now claims he is a good dog and doesn't bite. How's that for a "parable"?"....ME

Offline jcn59

My grandson joined the Army Reserves a year ago. When he was in boot camp, he was not able to fire the m16 in the 3 shot burst auto mode because of the cost of ammo, he told us.  They couldn't afford it, but Homeland Security can??

Certainly you all know who the government intends to shoot that ammo at, don't you? 
Hint #1:  small arms treaty with NATO. 
Hint #2:  disarm all Americans.
The part about obama being an "illegal"......don't think congress isn't in on it.

Does anyone remember the scene from "Quigley Down Under" showing the aborigines lined up on the skyline as far as you could see?   That needs to be US!
NRA Life Member

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
    • The Daily Limit
Thanks for posting the link. I find it's usually easier to post the story than to go back and get the link then copy and paste it too. POWDERMAN.  ;D ;D
I think we can all agree that where a story comes from is critical to analyzing the claims made.  I appreciate anytime someone cuts and pastes that they include the link or at least the source.

Offline Junior1942

• The Frugal Outdoorsman
Why would anyone sane believe anything on Alex Jones's web site? From Wiki: "Mainstream sources have described Jones as a conservative[4][5][6][7] and as a right-wing conspiracy theorist.[8][9][10][11] Jones sees himself as a libertarian, and rejects being described as a right-winger.[12] He has also called himself a paleoconservative.[13] In a promotional biography he is described as an "aggressive constitutionalist".[14][15] Alex Jones has been the center of many controversies. Jones has accused the US government of being involved in the Oklahoma City bombing[16] and September 11 attacks.[17] "

Offline crustylicious

• A Real Regular
  • Reading is fundamental, comprehension optional!
I've worked on some IDIQ contracts with the DOD. Often they didn't spend/purchase the full amount listed in the contract.
Also need to keep in mind that Obama's civilian force will not be composed of skilled riflemen and will need extensive practice at the secret internment camps.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and the wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell
"The speaking in perpetual hyperbole is comely in nothing but love" Francis Bacon, Sr.
Voting is like driving a car- choose (D) to go forward- choose (R) to go backwards!
When all think alike, no one thinks very much. Albert Einstein

Offline SHOOTALL

How many work for HS ? If 100000 do that is 4500 bullets each. Consider how long the bullets are slated to last ? How much pratice ? How many on each officer ?How many offices will be stocked ?  What other agencies drow from this mother load ?

I know when I buy a brick od 22 LR they just never seem to last .............. ;D
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
Why would anyone sane believe anything on Alex Jones's web site? From Wiki: "Mainstream sources have described Jones as a conservative[4][5][6][7] and as a right-wing conspiracy theorist.[8][9][10][11] Jones sees himself as a libertarian, and rejects being described as a right-winger.[12] He has also called himself a paleoconservative.[13] In a promotional biography he is described as an "aggressive constitutionalist".[14][15] Alex Jones has been the center of many controversies. Jones has accused the US government of being involved in the Oklahoma City bombing[16] and September 11 attacks.[17] "
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Junior;
  i am not an Alex Jones fan either...it's just that responses popped up from my Google search and I just grabbed one..  You could have found one to suit you..I explained how to Google it..   But since you don't like Alex Jones here's a couple more sites.

http://articles.businessinsider.com/2012-03-28/news/31247765_1_atk-bullet-rounds

http://theintelhub.com/2012/03/16/atk-awarded-contract-to-supply-450-million-rounds-of-40-caliber-ammunition-to-the-department-of-homeland-security/

I have a connection to Lake City..I'll see what I can find out..with due respect to their security..

Offline Brewster

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
The order is legit.  The reaction is wingnutty.

I wonder how many thousands of rounds the preppers have run out and bought of late?

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
The order is legit.  The reaction is wingnutty.

I wonder how many thousands of rounds the preppers have run out and bought of late?
I doubt if HS is buying them for barter to feed themselves when our currency is worthless.
remember, to this administration, ALL conservatives are considered the ENEMY.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline Brewster

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
ROFLMFAO.

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
ROFLMFAO.
laugh if you like, I'm sure obama loves you. ::)
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline jcn59

I remember when the investigation into Kennedy's death was complete and a portion of the findings were put into a "time capsule" so all the people alive then would be dead before anyone could see what really happened.   So if anyone here thinks that those of us who are suspicious of what the government is doing is "wingnutty"  you best be reviewing your history and keep your name calling to yourself.  Most of us "have been there" and have learned to distrust congress and in particular, this present lying administration. 

NRA Life Member

Offline nw_hunter

Mainstream hates him, He is a Libertarian, Paleoconservative, and a Constitutionalist.
You have listed some very good reasons for listening to Alex Jones! Are there any negative reasons for not?
Freedom Of Speech.....Once we lose it, every other freedom will follow.

Offline Junior1942

• The Frugal Outdoorsman
You have listed some very good reasons for listening to Alex Jones! Are there any negative reasons for not?
None whatsoever.  Be sure to click his links.  He might be behind on his BMW payments.

Offline Lost Farmboy

A bit excessive for a few Muslim terrorist. HP defiantly against Geneva conventions, can't use them on enemies. Expecting an evasion from Mexico? Wrong caliber for that. Maybe be expecting civil war?
A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.   John F. Kennedy

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under" -Ronald Reagan

“So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause.”  Padme Amidala

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  You will note, those are to be produced over the next 5 years, not all this year. 
   Perhaps the Obamanation administration was looking forward to furnishing weapons for the Mexican cartels for several years running.  ;)   ;D

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
Certainly cause for thought.  Obama said out loud that we need a civilian military arm in the states answerable directly to Obama himself? Homeland security would be a fine place to start arming up don't you think? Brewster do you have your head in the sand? Left wingnuts are as bad as any other.
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
None whatsoever.  Be sure to click his links.  He might be behind on his BMW payments.

Naw, those are Volt buyers.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  Here's your link;
  http://www.infowars.com/why-does-the-department-of-homeland-security-need-450-million-hollow-point-bullets/

It was VERY EASY to find, all I had to do was Google it and Wallah..many sites showed up.

I am very much aware of how to google something.  THAT BEING SAID... It's not very courteous to post an article and not post a link so that its one click away from other users being able to read it on the original site.  My belief if that since this was infowars.com you were worried about being called an Alex Jones kook and neglected to post it on purpose.  There are lots of people on this site that aren't very computer literate.  It's nice to go the extra mile to help them out rather than cause them added stress by having to do something they maybe aren't used to.

My theory is that the bullet order is a ploy on the part of politicians to drive up ammo prices.  Since recent trends in gun bans and legislation in favor of banning guns is going downhill there are some in power that will use your tax dollars with ill intent to make it harder on you to buy ammo.  A gun without ammo is a pretty poor club.  And 450 million rounds is enough to make an impact in cost to you.
I'm voting 3rd party in this election by writing in Jesus Christ for president.  Sadly even if this were an option most of you would still vote Republican because "It's a two party system."

Offline powderman

sss. Sometimes only an article is found with no link provided, even though it might say ABC, or city, etc, then you are saying don't post it?? Even though it is apparent where it came from?? POWDERMAN.  ??? ???