Author Topic: 209 primer difficult to remove from Huntsman, whats up?  (Read 1410 times)

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
209 primer difficult to remove from Huntsman, whats up?
« on: March 31, 2012, 03:26:20 AM »
A year or so ago I bought a couple of breechplugs from a member who I believe cannot be mentioned here now. They ar SS, screw in with a 1/2"(?) socket and take 209 primers. There is a small "O" ring in the bottom of the spot to put to 209 primer to prevent blow back. I have fired primers only from them and they worked great.
Yesterday I took a friend to the range that wants to get in ML's. The first shot went great with the primer coming out easily with my fingers, the problem was that on each of the following shots the 209 primer was VERY difficult to remove. The primers had to be wrestled out with a set of pliers. I was shooting 80 grains of Triple 7 and using 209 primers for Triple 7.
My friend, who is recovering from a very serious battle with cancer and coming back from a couple of surgerys, chemo and radiation liked shooting the ML and will get into it. He has been saving up to buy a TC ML and was going to sell a couple of old guns he had. The guy at the local gun store offered him nothing and was not really interested in them.
At the range after we shot he presented me with an old single shot 12 guage, his first gun. It is an early H&R with a removeable hinge pin. It will be cleaned up and be a camp gun for whenever he comes up to my camp so he will always have a gun there. I secrectly have plans to try to get him out for Turkey in Maine next spring guided by my Game Warden buddy. I want to see him get a turkey with his old first gun.
He also had an old Sears & Roebuck (High Standard IIRC) semi automatic 12 gauge that was owned by his father. It has been drilled and tapped for scope rings and I bought it for what he asked for it. A bit high perhaps but he gave me the H&R. They both will still be his to use at the camp if he ever needs them. He told me his father was an old Marine who lived through the Pacific by probably throwing a lot of lead and he continued to hunt that way, hench the semi auto 12 gauge.

So after this long story, anyone know what's up with the primers sticking in the breech plug?....Thanks for any insight, expierence or help you might have....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Doug B.

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
  • Still A Kid At Heart - 1971 Honda CT70H
Re: 209 primer difficult to remove from Huntsman, whats up?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 04:05:37 AM »
MSP....sounds like a bit of crud build up around the perimeter of the primers within the plug when they are ignited. I would soak the area down with some type of bore cleaner and let soak before brushing out with a bore brush. I have cleaned my breach plug out with a .17 bore brush with only minor difficulty.
"Be A Good Listener. Your Ears Will Never Get You In Trouble"

Cadott/Chippewa Falls, WI

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 04:22:36 AM »
Thanks Doug, I cleaned the barrel and breechplug when I returned from the range and hope things go better next time out. The breechplug was new and clean when I shot it yesterday for the first time with gun powder. It should not have had any crud build up but you never know. The first shot was fine and the primer came right out, it was on the following shots the primer stuck. I am going to check the last primer I pulled from the breechplug (I still have in on my workbench). Now I am more interested in what it looks like....Thanks

Any others with any info or expierences with these breechplugs for 209 primers?....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline bubba

• Trade Count: (62)
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 08:14:06 AM »
First thing to try is to remove the oring and try it again without it.. If the primer comes right out, there is limited space in the breech plug to expand.  You may need to drill out the breech plug a small bit to allow for more space.  The other solution is to try other primers.  I personally use win 777 primers in my sidekick.  Every gun is just a little bit different, so they all need a bit of tweaking.
”A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.”

Molon Labe

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 09:50:12 PM »
MSP,

I have had this happen a couple of times and both cases the "o" ring had fallen out of the primer pocket of the unnamed plug.  For some reason without an "o" ring the primer would expand and lock into the pocket.  I have also had this happen in a different type of breech plug when I lost the "o" ring from that one.

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline Kernbigo

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 03:32:51 AM »
I had one that did that contacted the co. and they sent me a different one. Kernbigo

Offline Brewster

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 08:24:17 AM »
I have two plugs thus.  Both were a problem getting the fired primer out.  The first one was encountered at the local range while I was sighting in.  Hadda make a quick trip home for a bit of dremel work on the pocket.  The second I fired just the primer in the yard, found the same issue, and did the same fix.  Use a spent primer to gauge your progress with the dremel.

Offline Brewster

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 08:43:26 AM »
Both my unmentionable breech plugs were virgins.  I used a 8153  997 aluminum oxide bit, freehand and full depth of the pocket.  The first one, I forgot to pull the o-ring. :-[   Didn't take much polishing to get it right.

Offline bubba

• Trade Count: (62)
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 10:59:55 AM »
the advice I got directly from the person who introduced us to the plugs who worked there  told me to drill it out about 5/1000 and it fixed it.  If you look through the archives here I am sure it is there.
”A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.”

Molon Labe

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 04:53:41 PM »
Thanks to all, great responses and a great help...no to get on it and get it working correctly....<><....:)

Offline Brewster

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012, 05:10:21 PM »
Any success?

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 01:31:18 AM »
I hav not had a chance to shoot it yet. I have polished it up a bit to smooth out and open up the "chamber" for the 209 primer and hope to try it again soon....<><....:)

Offline Doug B.

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
  • Still A Kid At Heart - 1971 Honda CT70H
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 01:43:37 AM »
How did you get in the pocket to polish it and what did you use? Mine might need the same.....
"Be A Good Listener. Your Ears Will Never Get You In Trouble"

Cadott/Chippewa Falls, WI

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2012, 05:40:25 AM »
I started with some Q-tips cut short in my dremel tool and some fine polishing compound I had on hand. Flitz should work as well. I ended up using a short slotted nail of the right diameter to fit in the chuck of the dremel tool and wrapped thin cotton strips on it to approximate the diameter of the 209 primer. I then covered the padded tip with polishing compound. I would think you might be able to get a drill bit of the correct diameter to hold the cotton from slipping on the shaft as well but I was a little concerned about the possibility of scratching or scoring the 209" chamber area, an unlikely possibility if you are careful....<><....:)

Offline muznut 54

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 02:42:12 AM »
I bought the plug you speak of about four years ago and I have used CCIs, Win209 and Rio with no problems but if I had one I would stick to the polishing before any drilling.You can also put some auto valve lapping compound on that Q,tip.  :)

Offline Brewster

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2012, 07:37:49 AM »
After the very light Dremel work, I chucked a short piece of wood dowel in the drill motor,  along with a couple of thicknesses of cotton tee-shirt rag at the business end of things.  Kinda like I was loading a patched round ball rather than trying to wrap the fabric around the dowel.   Taped the loose fabric to the dowel, and used 600 valve lapping compound.  Make sure ya take the o-ring out first. ;)

Offline muznut 54

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2012, 01:45:35 AM »
Also you can cut a slot in the dowel and use a small piece of fine emery cloth or rag with valve lapping compound on it. I polished a few revolver cylinders that way.