Author Topic: Suppressed 500 S&W Magnum Handi-Rifle  (Read 2194 times)

Offline Irongoat

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Iron Goat Guns
Suppressed 500 S&W Magnum Handi-Rifle
« on: April 01, 2012, 09:59:40 AM »
Hello, everyone!  I recently built a Suppressed 500 S&W Magnum Handi-Rifle, which I believe will make a great hog gun.  With subsonic loads -- even as heavy as 617 grains, it is almost as quiet as a handclap. Just wondering if anyone here has had a similar project.  Oh, yeah.

The suppressor is registered and legal, My wife and I operate a gun store here in Quanah, Texas.  We have the Type 7 FFL with the SOT.

To see some pix and video, go to http://irongoatguns.com/NFA.html

BTW, I noted that several posters mentioned the involved break-in of these H&R barrels.  Mine is slowly getting better.
If a man can't think out of the box, they might as well bury him in it.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: Suppressed 500 S&W Magnum Handi-Rifle
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 11:08:23 AM »
WELCOME!!!

The big boy 500 supressed lobbing 600+ g boolits at 1000fps would make for quite a hog whacker!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Irongoat

• Iron Goat Guns
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 02:05:38 PM »
Right now, it seems that the .300 Blackout is a really popular suppression project, but I can't help but believe that the 500 Magnum will gain popularity, especially if something in a semi-auto carbine hits the market.  Subsonic lead loads are real pussycats to shoot, but still hit really hard with a lot of frontal area.  kind of like what an expanding bullet wants to be when it grows up. I load my cast bullets with the lighter (slightly convex) end down. A very old trick to help stabilize long heavy bullets in a slow twist barrel.  Since drag factors are much lower at subsonic speeds than above, the flat end does just fine all the way to its termination.

Imagine the hydrostatic wave ahead of that bullet through flesh.  While I have not yet hunted with it, I am pretty confident the reality will support the theory.  Not a long range killer, but like a shotgun slug. a force to be reckoned with at short to moderate ranges.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 03:00:42 PM »
I have shot one and seen two killed with the 500...

The first was shot by my friend using my loading, I was standing about 45 yard from the deer that was walking toward me as he shot. The deer was literally pushed to the side FEET before falling...

The second was shot by me using a lead bullet at moderate but more than sonic speeds. The deer acted as if it was not even hit!  Much like a arrow harvested deer... Put its head down to feed, made 2-4 steps and fell over dead...

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline jeneks84k10

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 04:26:12 PM »
I semi auto carbine in .500 s&w with a suppressor :-\  would it sound like a cash register when you pull the trigger? ;D

Ive got my .500 specifically for hogs here. Lots of brush and the hogs we have are mean, dont want to take a chance on a misplaced shot.

Ive seen one deer shot with the .500. A small tree, about 3 inch diameter, fell down and then the deer fell shortly after ;D  Shooter said he never saw the tree till it fell over.

Offline Jason F

• Trade Count: (261)
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 04:42:30 PM »
I want a muzzlebreak on mine it is brutal after about five shots with a 300ftx and a medium load of lil gun
handi rifles- 22 mag      22 hornet    223      7mm-08      308 chip shot     30-30 x2     30-06 shorty      358 cheez whiz     357 max     35 remington     375-08    410 rifled slug     454 casull     460 s&w     45 smokeless muzzleloader x2     45-70    50 huntsman    50-70 government shikari     20 ga.ush     12 ga.ush    12 ga.3 1/2     10 ga.imp.cyl. slug gun

Offline Irongoat

• Iron Goat Guns
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 05:54:37 PM »
Last first: Suppressors are basically muzzle brakes that divert and slow the gases, rather than let them exhaust as either a coherent stream straight ahead or in a pattern more or less perpendicular to the bore. That reduces recoil and the extra weight also helps.  That said, when I fired Hornady 500 grain loads through the suppressor, it still kicked like a 12 gauge slug.  Didn't make a lot of noise besides the sonic crack, but not something I would do all day.  That 20-round box may be a lifetime supply of that load for me.

Subsonic loads with heavy bullets, 400 - 600+ grains are a pleasure to shoot.  Perhaps you might try that type of reduced recoil load will still a lot of whuump downrange.  That leads me to next to last .

I bought 100 rounds of Starfire brass for the 500 for about 60 bucks delivered.  Several of those have been reloaded 5 or 6 times.  My load is 10 grains of Unique over a Large Rifle Magnum Primer.  I have a Lee mould that throws 440+/- grain bullets, and I built the 617 grain mould myself.  Primer, powder, bullets and all, these rounds cost somewhere around a dime apiece plus my time. Less than double cheap .22 cartridges. So with these loads, I can literally shoot all day for $10.

Just had a thought.  Why couldn't a gun that shot .303 British, 7.62 x 54R, or other large rimmed cartridges be re-barreled and have the magazine, bolt face, and feeding tweaked for the 500 Magnum girth and length?  Coments?

Offline vss426

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 10:01:02 AM »
ive got a enfield in 50 ae that was done by sia and have a 50ae can in transfer from quicksilver, the enfield uses a lar mag

Offline vss426

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 10:16:23 AM »
heres a pic

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 01:06:21 PM »
ive got a enfield in 50 ae that was done by sia and have a 50ae can in transfer from quicksilver, the enfield uses a lar mag
heres a pic

very cool................ 8) if i was eva ta own one them 50's..........that be tha one yeah !! ;D

sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline vss426

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 01:46:01 PM »
 :)  thanks looking to get a handi in 500 s&w and have it threaded for that 50 can and run some sub loads in it. i have a handi in 357 and have it threaded for my 9mm can and running 38s its as soft as my buddies 300 blackout. really enjoy this site seems like lots of good info and great folks

Offline vss426

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 01:55:01 PM »
iron goat i need to come see you , ill be up in that area for summers last blast cruise in vernon, i like how you think, would be interested in your 20 gauge suppressed barrel handi and check it out, ive got one on my sbr saiga from those crazy guys not really impressed but its neat , thinking your style is more inline with the ones over the pond,they seem to be better ;)

Offline parisite

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2012, 04:12:44 AM »
I took off the buttplate/pad off my 500 and filled the cavity in the stock with some old disformed lead bullets I had then put a new slip on recoil pad over the factory one. It helped recoil a lot. I use commercial gas check bullets exclusively and use either IMR 4227 or Accurate 4100 powder. I also have iron sights off an old Rem. 700 on my 500.
Friends don't let friends buy BSA scopes.