Author Topic: First Shoot: HMR Large GB Coehorn Mortar  (Read 614 times)

Offline Scout.308

• Trade Count: (0)
First Shoot: HMR Large GB Coehorn Mortar
« on: April 01, 2012, 10:26:46 AM »
So, I finished some minor cosmetic improvements, re-paint, and handle attachment, and then FINALLY, the weather and my schedule came together and I got to shoot the beast!

Ed, you're a hero!  ;D  This mortar is great!

After convincing the crew at the High Rock Range in Naugatuck CT (good guys!) that I was serious about wanting to shoot a mortar ("A mortar?!!" :o ), we started firing concrete-filled plastic golf balls.  Tons of fun, we drew a happy crowd, and for the first time in some 45 years of shooting, I got thanks from
multiple strangers for sharing the fun with them.

The crowd loved the reasonable pricing, and I said "HMRCannons.com" at least forty times (and Greaybeard Outdoors a bunch), so I hope you'll be getting some inquiries from CT, NY, and maybe MA.  I told you I'm a marketing guy.

We started out with 35grain FF loads to get a feel, and eventually went up to 140grain, full cavity, loads.  The big loads sent balls well over the mountaintop (the base of the mountain was 100 yards).  You could hear balls striking trees on the backside, and beyond. Great fun.  I'm hooked.

Offline BoomLover

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: First Shoot: HMR Large GB Coehorn Mortar
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 02:07:27 PM »
 ;D ...Sounds like a fun time was had by all! Next question...any pics? BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 04:08:42 PM »
We started out with 35grain FF loads to get a feel, and eventually went up to 140grain, full cavity, loads.  The big loads sent balls well over the mountaintop (the base of the mountain was 100 yards).  You could hear balls striking trees on the backside, and beyond.

What's on the other side of the mountain you're shooting at? More mountains? Or.....?
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 04:32:22 PM »
We started out with 35grain FF loads to get a feel, and eventually went up to 140grain, full cavity, loads.  The big loads sent balls well over the mountaintop (the base of the mountain was 100 yards).  You could hear balls striking trees on the backside, and beyond.

What's on the other side of the mountain you're shooting at? More mountains? Or.....?

The bear, of course.
 ;D
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 05:04:20 PM »
 Scout.308,

Is this not teasing us common folk of, whom cannot be there? We need to see pictures of smoke & flames or, at least the mountain....   ;D ;D
If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline jamesfrom180

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 04:41:24 AM »
You may need to put out signs stating "Artillery Impact Zone" or in big letters "Fore!".

Lets see some pics. 8)
AMMA Bosslopper 1988