Author Topic: Remington leaving Illion?  (Read 1241 times)

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
Remington leaving Illion?
« on: April 02, 2012, 03:51:28 AM »
This is from the Auction Arms site.

March 26, 2012Remington Threatens Shut Down
of NY Plant over Microstamping
   (GunAuction.com) -- Remington is threatening to pull its plant out of Ilion, New York, over a gun bill pushed by New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg.
Remington Arms Company, in a recent letter to New York Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo, said it may leave the Empire State if a law requiring bullet casings to carry unique markings is enacted.
Remington has a manufacturing plant that employs more than 1,000 workers in the village of Ilion, about 90 miles west of Albany.
“Mandating firearms micro-stamping will restrict the ability of Remington to expand business in the Empire State,” company chief strategy officer Stephen Jackson Jr. wrote to Cuomo.
“Worse yet, Remington could be forced to reconsider its commitment to the New York market altogether rather than spend the astronomical sums of money needed to completely reconfigure our manufacturing and assembly processes,” Jackson wrote.
Cuomo during his 2010 campaign called microstamping a “common-sense” and “pro-law enforcement” gun safety law. The governor’s position has not changed, Cuomo spokesman Josh Vlasto said.
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline TopperT

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
  • Guard Dog
Re: Remington leaving Illion?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 04:05:53 AM »
This would be a disaster for New York and (sadly) is again a reminder of how irresponsible  ::) some elected officials are.  Remington has been at Illion NY for what, 150 years? 1,000 jobs? ??? ?  Just to keep this H&R relevant, this could (again) foul up things for our wonderful rifles.

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 04:12:39 AM »
Hope they come to Va.  ;D
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline TopperT

• Contributor
  • Guard Dog
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 04:52:43 AM »
Come BACK to Massachusetts.....we would welcome them with open arms!

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 04:59:07 AM »
they can go to monroe NC

is that where the headquartes are any way??
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 05:00:37 AM »
That is "olds" rather than "news" I believe. Microstamping has already been rejected in NY.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 05:50:12 AM »
http://www.opposingviews.com/i/society/guns/gun-control-measures-disappearing-new-york

Rare Victories for Gun Owners in New York

Submitted by NRA on Mar 30, 2012

New York gun owners finally have something to celebrate -- a rare double victory in the Empire State.  The New York state budget was signed today by Governor Andrew Cuomo, and it eliminated CoBIS, the costly state ballistic identification database that wasted millions of taxpayer dollars while failing to solve a single crime.  The final budget bill also struck a microstamping provision that had been included in an earlier Assembly version of the state budget.

After the state Assembly passed microstamping earlier this session, the Senate Codes Committee moved S675C, by state Senator Jose Peralta (D-13), to the Senate Rules Committee, making it unlikely a hearing would be held on it this session.  Undaunted, anti-gun Assemblymen inserted a budget provision that included microstamping in the Assembly budget, but thankfully this backdoor attempt failed.

Microstamping, like CoBIS, would be costly and ineffective.  In addition, this unproven technology is easily circumvented by criminals.  Enacting microstamping would also hurt local New York economies, as large manufacturing employers would be forced out of the state. Today, New York gun owners can be pleased that one gun control provision has been repealed and another has stalled for now.   
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline TopperT

• Contributor
  • Guard Dog
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 08:14:54 AM »
Thanks Tim.  Wasn't aware of the vote to kill it.  Happy happy now!!!!

Offline tallyho

• Trade Count: (52)
  • DECEASED 6/6/2013
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 08:44:30 AM »
Thanks Tim.  Wasn't aware of the vote to kill it.  Happy happy now!!!!

Yeah, even though I don't live in NY (and never will) I'm happy too... happy, but still po'd that this kind of legislation keeps popping up all the time.

Happy that the hoplophobes didn't win this one, but always a bit on edge knowing that they are in every state, county, and municipal legislature, and the will always be pushing legislation like this, either openly, or sneakily, and sometimes they win.

In this case, having Remington and other NY firearms related businesses, oppose it with the threat of jobs lost, taxes lost, it was a win. That ain't going to be the case every time. And the hoplophobes just happened to be outnumbered in the NY legislature by those who feared the political response and fall-out from losing thousands of jobs and millions in taxes more than they feared the noses that would come from the gun-banners and do-gooders.

Earliest known appearance in print, attributed to Jefferson:
Richmond Enquirer, December 30, 1834: "Mr. Jefferson, the great apostle of human rights, has told us, that 'the price of Liberty is eternal vigilance.'".

- end of rant.  :P
DECEASED 6/6/2013

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 09:57:14 AM »
If they are forced to move could it be to China, India, Singapore or Taiwan.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline Ol BW

• Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 07:15:05 PM »
Surely not, there are too many places here in the states that have lost industries that have empty factories and a skilled workforce ready and waiting to go to work!  I am sure many places would do what ever it would take to get them to move in!

Offline LunaticFringeInc

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2012, 08:52:22 PM »
Surely not, there are too many places here in the states that have lost industries that have empty factories and a skilled workforce ready and waiting to go to work!  I am sure many places would do what ever it would take to get them to move in!

Yeah your right and its a sad truth but its much cheaper tax wise to do business outside the US.  The EPA laws are much easier to comply with outside the US.  Labor outside the US is willing to work much cheaper than those in the US.  That labor may not always be superior skilled compared to the US but often their work ethic is a lot better and they are a lot more productive.  Its just rare you can expect true craftsmanship quality finished product.  OSHA isnt nickle and diming you to death regulation wise outside the US either.  With all the red tape and hassle a company has to comply with these days before they make just one item is whats stiffling manufacturing here in the US and is why its much more economical to go off shore.  If I remember correctly the US has the 2nd highest corperate tax rate in the world and we have a hostile government who is quiet willing in increase those tax rates in a hearrt beat if they get half a chance even if it means cutting off their nose to spite their face.

Think about it...why did Toyota come to the south to make thier car plant instead of basing that plant in Detroit?  We are lucky they even put their plant in the US and not in Mexico!

If I was Remington I wouldnt threaten to move my plant out of the New York, Id DO IT anyways.  I would puinish New York for even threatening me with such a regulation weather it passed or not.  Just cause it didnt pass this time doesnt mean it wont pass next time, so why wait instead of just facing up to the inevitable.  Move the plant out of New York to a more "business friendly" state, one where the tax rate is lower, one where the cost of living is lower and you can get cheaper labor without short changing a workers ability to make a living wage, one that values and respects gun ownership, none of which New York can claim.

There is a reason why all those empty factorys arent being utilized.  There is a reason all those "Skilled Workers" are idle.  Cause it cost too much to operate those factorys and those workers want more than they are willing to give (in many cases).  The bottom line is its not profitable enough to be competitive in a global market.

Offline GEMSTATE

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2012, 07:03:15 PM »
+1!!!! Well said!!!!!

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 08:28:27 AM »
Japan very recently lowered their Corporate Taxes. The USA has now the distinction to have the highest.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline Littlepage

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2012, 04:28:17 PM »
Remington has a plant in Mayfield Kentucky

Offline tlmkr38

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2012, 05:23:59 PM »
Remington has a plant in Mayfield Kentucky

yep and we just had a huge tire company shut down in Union City Tn, about 30 miles from there. We would be more than happy to have Remington move more production into this area.