Author Topic: 30-30  (Read 708 times)

Offline twoeighty

• Trade Count: (0)
30-30
« on: April 02, 2012, 05:27:38 AM »
picked up the NEF NC****** (1988) 30-30

beautiful---bore perfect----didn't expect ejector though---nearly broke a tooth when it flew out

is this SB1 or SB2 frame--cursory search in FAQ's ---couldn't determine

thanks

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
Re: 30-30
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 07:10:28 PM »
picked up the NEF NC****** (1988) 30-30

beautiful---bore perfect----didn't expect ejector though---nearly broke a tooth when it flew out

is this SB1 or SB2 frame--cursory search in FAQ's ---couldn't determine

thanks

To tell the difference in frames, take some time and check the FAQ's.  quickdtoo (Tim) and others spent a lot of time taking photos and assembling them to make it easier for members to tell the difference.  Or you could go to the H&R web-site.  They also have photos to show the difference there.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 12:41:42 AM »
Good luck with the new rifle.  As has been said, check the FAQs for SB1 SB2 differences.  The area around the stock bolt hole in the SB1 is solid while the SB2 has holes on either side.

That ejector gave ya a surprise?  I hate 'em.  Having a pop open with a heavy caliber is a joy.  Hot brass smack in the face.  Then there's the happy scrounging around in the snow, mud, grass, water, etc. looking for brass.  It's also fun trying to get your hand in between the scope and hammer to catch the brass.  Thanks to God and Tim, all mine are now extractors.  I can fire and reload faster with them than I can scramble for brass.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline twoeighty

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 03:52:14 AM »
thanks---i would have thought the 357 and 44 mag were the only rifles on sb1 frames---so i felt that all other rifles would be on the sb2 frames

haven't got the tools to remove rear stock to check frame---probably take it to my gunsmith to see

also will research the extractor conversion---can't afford any dental bills right now (:

thanks

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 04:56:46 AM »
That ejector gave ya a surprise?  I hate 'em.  Having a pop open with a heavy caliber is a joy.  Hot brass smack in the face.  Then there's the happy scrounging around in the snow, mud, grass, water, etc. looking for brass.  It's also fun trying to get your hand in between the scope and hammer to catch the brass. 

Pete

+1 to hating the ejector's but... don't let Roger hear you talking like that. ;D

Spanky

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (52)
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 06:44:23 AM »
You need a screw driver for the buttplate/recoil pad screws and a 9/16" socket with long extension to fit the stock bolt.  Probably in your car tool kit.

If the ejector is all that bad someone on here will be glad to swap you for an extractor barrel. Sorry I don't have one...
Think as if you LIFE depends on it... IT does..!  Be Well...

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 08:12:02 AM »
The ejector/extractor debate has and will continue to go on for ever I fear.

I like the ejector on my rimfires and shotguns. I dislike it on my rifles.

I don't like to scrounge around for brass and this gun, in my hands, is never gonna see a benifit to a ejector. For me positive and complete extraction is far more important. I like a real leverage extractor. One that works off the leverage from opening of the barrel. I can re loaded plenty fast for my uses. If I felt rapid second third shots where likely, I would bring a repeater. Likely a pump or lever. ( I'm Not a big fan of rifle autos )

CWI
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 05:12:39 AM »
Ejectors are great for rimfires, shotguns, and rimmed (like the 30-30) cartridges.

I don't understand the dislike for ejectors in rifles.  Extractors have their place with rimless cartridges.  As a matter of fact I like the two I have in .308 & 22-250. 

That said, every other one of my rifles are ejectors, including a 223.  I never have to scrounge around for brass, when hunting since, I usually don't have to rush a second shot.  That's the whole idea when using single shots, right?  When I do need a second shot, I open the gun, insert a new cartridge, close it, and shoot.  I worry about the one ejected case after the shot.

When I'm at the range, I just put my hand behind the barrel, and break the gun.  The case usually gets caught, or at worse falls into a pile at my feet.  I do the same when using a shotgun, if I plan on saving the hulls.

Positive and complete ejection/extraction is not a problem, if you clean the gun properly, and don't over lube the chamber area.  The ejector is definitely better when gloves come into play.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.