Author Topic: Swivel Cannon identification please!  (Read 820 times)

Offline Robrug

• Trade Count: (0)
Swivel Cannon identification please!
« on: April 03, 2012, 02:11:36 AM »
Hi everybody !
My first post here as you guys seem to have alot of wisdom between you and I need some help.
I have just bought this cannon as I thought it could be something interesting and would like a pointer as to where and when it may have been made.
I understand its called a swivel cannon and is approx 2 feet long (UK).The bore is 2 inches and it weighs approx 35 kgs.
The markings are on the top and show numbers , letters , a proofing crown mark and very feint crossed swords between the H and C.
Would be grateful for any details.
Thanks.

Offline exlimey

Re: Swivel Cannon identification please!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 02:24:00 AM »
Well it sure is a strange looking critter! i have never seen a Yoke like that before. I think you have a repro modern cast iron piece that seems to have a steel bore liner cast into it so it should be safe to fire Seems to be a strange protusion under the area of the touch hole! I would thow out the yoke and make a naval truck carriage for it.

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 04:35:14 AM »
Delete

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 07:04:38 AM »
I can see what appears to be a ring shape surrounding the bore on the muzzle face, but I'm not so sure that that means the barrel has a steel liner. I would make certain that this swivel gun was equipped with a steel liner before I ever attempted to fire it (if that's your intention).
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 07:18:22 AM »
Robrug,
Welcome to the forum! Before firing I would be sure it is lined.... it is possible the muzzel was turned giving the impression that there is a liner paint stripper would be the best method to use and see if the line is denoting a liner or just a lathe mark.... you are in England so I would expect proof marks as the BP with crown denoting Black Powder and what looks to be a Birmingham proof house mark..... so by English standards the gun is safe to shoot..... as to the yoke  the rings that attach it to the trunnions should be tighter than they are .... too much space in there....... the cannon also has an odd cast bit on the underside...... I am guessing as a "bumper" to rest on when the gun is mounted along a rail...... how are these registered in England?  as a shotgun? just wondering as we don't have those problems on this side of the pond....

Allen <><
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Robrug

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 08:40:41 AM »
Thanks for all your replies so far! Keep em coming!
I am a complete novice at this , I bought it last week at a local general auction as a bit of a gamble to sell it on for a profit and hoping it had some age to it.
I didnt intend to fire it as wouldnt know where to start and , though it would be great fun, I think getting it checked out and getting the black powder etc etc would mean further funds.
It was rusty and flaking when I got it so I tapped off the paint gently with a hammer and the applied stove polish just to give it a better colour as I didnt want to paint it incase that obscured details that would help identify and age it.
I wasnt asked about licencing etc when I bought it so thats got me thinking !
If anyone in UK knows how much it might be worth I'd love to hear from them.
Thanks again and await further opinions.
I have attached more pics of it showinghow it looked when I bought it.

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 01:58:10 AM »
I am a complete novice at this , I bought it last week at a local general auction as a bit of a gamble to sell it on for a profit and hoping it had some age to it.

I appreciate your honesty, Robrug.

More than a few have come here asking about "Grandpa's old cannon, just wanting to know some info to pass along with it to the next generation of the family."

Then two weeks later we see it on ebay, with what they learned here in the auction text.

Wish everyone were as forthright as you are.  ;)
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Robrug

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 03:26:12 AM »
Its been great fun researching it and thats what I like about these things.Sometimes I buy and old picture and research the artist and the location then either keep it or sell it , anything interesting or unusual that catches my eye.
With the cannon I have found the proof marks (all the plate was painted over) and managed to enlarge a photo of it on my computer to read it. It is a Birmingham proof mark dated 1969 as well as I can tell (cross swords , letters U for date, B for Birmingham and number 1 for testers ID . The black powder proof mark is pre 1974, so I guess we're looking at something made around 1969 probably.
So its about 43 yrs old ! Im amazed how easily it cleaned up.
I have been informed that because it has a proof mark and could be in working order it would require a Section 1 Firearms certificate.If bore is less than 2" (as this one is) and its kept as an ornament then it is exempt (according to this article I read).
I am now geting in touch with the Birmingham Proof House museum to track down their records to see if the manufacturer was listed and any other info.
I shall post the results when I get them.

Offline Robrug

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 03:31:58 AM »
A clearer pic of the plate.
The proof mark showing cross swords and the letters are clearer , tiny though it is.

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 05:54:31 AM »
The proof actually look more like cepters than swords.....the "BCP" is Birimingham Company Proof....
http://proofmarks.tripod.com/englishproofs.html
http://gunproof.com/
http://www.phoenixinvestmentarms.com/archives/Proofmarks.pdf
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Robrug

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 08:57:48 AM »
These are some  images of the proof mark I have intensified in photoshop to help reading.

Offline Robrug

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 09:02:20 AM »
The alphabet was restarted several years post-war in 1950 with A, but now each letter change was made at the beginning of the year. The mark was modified to that shown in Figure II, with D to the left representing  1953, and the B to the right identifying the Birmingham Proof House. The number below identified the inspector.
This is taken from an article about dating your rifle andshows Birmingham marks similar to mine.