Author Topic: An object on display at the Doge's Palace, Venice.  (Read 961 times)

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
An object on display at the Doge's Palace, Venice.
« on: April 05, 2012, 09:26:18 AM »
I stumbled upon this while looking for something else, and I really don't know what it is. It seems to me like what's seen in the breech (for lack of a better word) area might actually be some kind of bellows arrangement.

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=182446

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline onegreatshot

• keep their heads down til help arrives
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
  • Proud owner of 3 brooks USA cannons, look'g 4 more
Re: An object on display at the Doge's Palace, Venice.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 10:42:50 AM »
I have no idea of what it is, however someone here will come up with answer.

Offline Max Caliber

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 11:38:42 AM »
Looks like your standard old gondola bilge pump to me ;)
Max

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 01:18:05 AM »
Looks like your standard old gondola bilge pump to me ;)

No. It's a firefighting tool for when someone drops their smoke in the boat on a canal cruise.

Don't doubt me here; I graduated from Venice (CA) high school, home of "The Mighty Gondoliers."  ;D
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Bob Smith

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 01:20:59 AM »
The old catalogue for the Armoury in the Doge's Palace says it is an early 17th century breechloader with 5 revolving barrels. No provence or history attached, though.
Bob Smith

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 07:34:59 AM »
Thanks for the information, Bob.

Don't doubt me here; I graduated from Venice (CA) high school, home of "The Mighty Gondoliers."  ;D

The Mighty Gondoliers! Only in California, or more precisely, only in Venice, CA; so, on prom night were the chosen couple crowned the Doge and Dogessa (or whatever the female counterpart of the Doge was actually called)?

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 10:45:17 PM »
 I don't know nuthin bout no dogs & dogettes, but I did make my 1st crude BP cannon in the Venice High machine shop. Anyone in the area can still make their very own Venice-made cannon in the same shop if they like. Only costs $57 to enroll.  :)

http://venicemachine.com/VCASClass/class.htm

BTW, Grease was filmed at Venice High, and one scene was shot in the machine shop (can't see any of the machines though; only showed the teacher's office). My only claim to fame.  8)
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 07:55:22 AM »
I don't know nuthin bout no dogs & dogettes, but I did make my 1st crude BP cannon in the Venice High machine shop. Anyone in the area can still make their very own Venice-made cannon in the same shop if they like. Only costs $57 to enroll. :)   http://venicemachine.com/VCASClass/class.htm

Do you still have this first effort at cannon building? If so, how about posting a few pics of it.

BTW: It's terrific that Stacey Keach chose to rehabilitate himself by becoming a machine shop instructor at Venice High.

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 11:08:30 PM »
 I still have it somewhere but my 'piling system' makes it hard to locate things at times...

Sherlock Holmes