Author Topic: Canadian Long Gun Registry died today!  (Read 943 times)

Offline Canuck Bob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Canadian Long Gun Registry died today!
« on: April 05, 2012, 01:54:21 PM »
I am extra proud of my country today.  The despised long gun registry was dropped today as the bill killing it became law.  The records will be destroyed immediately in all of Canada except the province of Quebec.  They are fighting to keep the records for their province only.

Many Canadians will breathe easier today after years of legitimate civil disobedience.   

I'm going to burn my registrations in a lead smelt and go out to the Alberta Rockies Crown land and shoot on Monday with some dusty rifles. 

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
Re: Canadian Long Gun Registry died today!
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 01:57:44 PM »
yes !!! i've been watching that ;)   i have some kin-folk in quebec, happy day for shur !!!! 8)
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 02:00:47 PM »
Can you please explain the whole registry process to me? What is involved with owning firearms in Canada?
Thanks.

Spanky

Offline mo_bio

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 02:22:27 PM »
I had been watching for this for the past week.  It is a fine day for our neighbors to the north.  Have fun shooting Bob, you guys have earned it!
Handis: .17 mach2 (x2), .22 lr, 22 hornet, .22 jet, .223, .243, .270, .280, .357 max (x2), 35 remington, 35 whelen, 45-70, 445sm, 30-30, 410, 500 S&W, 50 AK

"The most important rule in a gunfight is: Always win and cheat if
necessary."-- Clint Smith, Director of Thunder Ranch

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 02:44:03 PM »
Spanky, doubt you want to know the WHOLE process, just glad it's over. Now there will be a lot of good folks moving north from here. I never understood how that went on this long ::)  Such a nice place with some crazy laws.

Offline r29l20

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (26)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 03:34:12 PM »
That is fantastic news. :)

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 05:15:07 PM »
What a huge success!!  Friends of mine and I cancelled a Caribou hunt some years ago to protest that law.  We're proud of our Canadian neighbors.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline tallyho

• Trade Count: (52)
  • DECEASED 6/6/2013
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 05:28:59 PM »
As an ex-pat Canadian, I am extremely pleased to hear this. I fought it tooth and nail back in the early 90's when this and other crap was first proposed, but like many others, our input was ignored. We didn't expect the Liberal government to agree with us, but we foolishly did expect them to at least hear our side. Live and learn.

Now I'll be able give my son (still living with his mother in BC) the .22 Henry lever gun I bought him for his 10th birthday - I'll be able to give it to him legally when he's 18.

Yay for Canadian gun-owners who kept the pressure on!

And, final note to my US brethren, stand fast on the 2nd Amendment - do not give up. Nils carborundum illegitimus!
DECEASED 6/6/2013

Offline briannmilewis

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 07:47:47 PM »
Two thumbs up from a fellow colonial living in the US. Now hopefully as the tides turn in Australia, they too will start to see the light after their failed gun ban crap.

Offline Canuck Bob

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 12:09:41 AM »
Can you please explain the whole registry process to me? What is involved with owning firearms in Canada?
Thanks.

Spanky

I'll try but our rules are heavily layered as if to assure gun owners can never really be in compliance. 

First your required to have a PAL.  It is like a federal drivers licence to own and acquire guns.  A PAL is required to own, buy, handle, guns and ammo. 
it requires a check by the Mounties and renewal every 5 years.

There were 3 main categories of firearms.  Unrestricted long guns, restricted long guns and pistols, and prohibited guns.  Previously all had to be registered with the Mounties.  The rules are weird but hunting guns were not restricted meaning they are easier to use.  Restricted guns are handguns and assualt type rifles and are severly restricted by harsh transport and use rules.  Prohibited are handguns with about 4" barrels and rifles like the FN FAL once carried here by the military.

There are very stringent rules for storage as well.  It all gets confusing.  One trick they pulled was to only allow restricted guns to be used on approved ranges.  There is almost no handgun carrying allowed in Canada.  They then passed laws to make the ranges so expensive that legal places to shoot are drying up.

In a recent court case a guy was charged with improper storage because they figured he got his pistol into service too fast when his house was fire bombed, no kidding!  He was not charged with discharging two warning rounds or any registration and ownership rules.  He was a trained and qualified firearms instructor and compliant in all laws so they nailed him with storage charges! 

Common sense has returned to hunting rifles and shotguns.  It is a good day for a leveraction rifleman. 

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 02:17:42 AM »
Bob, that was C-68 wasn't it?  We didn't cancel our hunt because of the 50 dollar fee to bring guns in.  We cancelled it because the law was ridiculous and told our outfitter to complain that he was loosing business over it.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think if a dude showed up at camp to hunt big game with a Daisy Red Ryder, the outfitter couldn't even loan or rent him a proper rifle.

I'm only an hour south west of Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario.  Patty and I used to spend a lot of time in Canada before 9-ll and all the crap that's involved with U.S. and Canadian Customs.  One time, when asked what we were going to do in Canada, I replied, shop, stay overnight and go to a gun show the next day.  There were shows that weekend in both Soos. They Went through the vehicle from top to bottom and searched Patty and I.

Thank God it's over.

Pete
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline Buster95

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2012, 11:46:43 AM »
I live in  province of Quebec  :(

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2012, 12:46:15 PM »
Buster, "Go West young man" ;)

Pete

Offline Buster95

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2012, 01:34:05 PM »
Buster, "Go West young man" ;)

Pete

Ho Buster Keaton's fan ;)

Offline tallyho

• DECEASED 6/6/2013
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2012, 02:18:58 PM »
.... We didn't cancel our hunt because of the 50 dollar fee to bring guns in.  We cancelled it because the law was ridiculous and told our outfitter to complain that he was loosing business over it.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think if a dude showed up at camp to hunt big game with a Daisy Red Ryder, the outfitter couldn't even loan or rent him a proper rifle.

Pete

Pete, I want to belatedly thank you and your friends for canceling your Canadian hunt. At the time I lived in British Columbia and was very involved in the organized opposition to the new laws. In fact was I part of a delegation of 'the gun-lobby' that was invited to meet/ consult with, and present our side of the issue to the now infamous Alan Rock, Canadian Justice Minister, the force behind the new laws. All we got out of that meeting was free ice water, which went well with the icy reception provided by the Minister and his associates.

At that time, the Canadian 'gun lobby' such as it was, requested US hunters and competitive shooters to cancel their trips to Canada to help with the protest. I never actually knew how well it was received in the US. I have now traveled from the 1990 twenty years in time, and am happy to express my appreciation and gratitude.  ;D

While living in Canada I envied the US having the 2nd Amendment and the tradition and history behind it. Now that I have lived in the USA for 10 years, I see I am still on the side of law-abiding gun owners, as I was in Canada. The difference is in the US there is still the 2nd that has to be dealt with, and though some elements believe it would be possible to 'overcome' the 2nd, the fact that it even exists keeps a strong resistance in a large portion of the citizenry not to have it messed with.

Canada hasn't even a whisper of such a thing, and without the history and tradition of trusting citizens that is anchored by the US Constitution and Bill of Rights, Canadian citizens (especially gun owners) have no such anchor. So other than common sense and factual information, there are no constitutional or historical anchor points to work with. (And we all know how far common sense and facts influences politicians.)  :P

One final thing I will say, Alan Rock and the Liberal Party of Canada created the Canadian Gun Lobby back then much as Barack Obama has for the last couple of years become the Number One Firearms Salesman in the USA. http://www.mikehuber.com/latest-news/barack-obama-firearms-salesman-of-the-year.

Canada's gun owners had local clubs and organizations, but not a strong national voice. We were law-abiding responsible firearms owners, not causing harm to anybody. We groused and complained a lot, but bottom line were willing to live under the laws of the land as they were. Then powerful do-gooders decided more had to be done to protect society from us, and we discover we needed to protect ourselves from THEM. It did not take long for us to get the message.

Times have changed!  :D :D
DECEASED 6/6/2013

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2012, 02:55:18 PM »
Adams, Jefferson and other "Radicals" of the time believed the time could come when citizens would have to take arms against their government.  That's where the Second was born.  Less than 100 years later, it happened.  The Civil War.  It could well happen again.  Many of us firmly believe in Charlton Heston's words.."....from my cold dead hands"  Perhaps I'm naive, but I think today, our Armed Forces would refuse to fight their own people.

Pete

Offline tallyho

• DECEASED 6/6/2013
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2012, 06:53:07 PM »
Perhaps I'm naive, but I think today, our Armed Forces would refuse to fight their own people.

I am not convinced the Canadian Forces or the police (RCMP in particular) would refuse.  :(
DECEASED 6/6/2013

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2012, 04:02:49 AM »
Perhaps I'm naive, but I think today, our Armed Forces would refuse to fight their own people.

I am not convinced the Canadian Forces or the police (RCMP in particular) would refuse.  :(

Neither would I, after all we have no 2nd. to give us a legal right to own firearms.

Comes Tuesday I'm going to call my Firearms Dealer and ask him if he can sell me a rifle without the Registry process. I'm thinking :"NO"
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.