Author Topic: (edited) Fitted barrel issue  (Read 586 times)

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (52)
(edited) Fitted barrel issue
« on: April 07, 2012, 07:37:48 AM »
Fitted a Topper 30-30 barrel to an SB2 action.  The ejector protruded so I ground a little off the back to fit it flush.  Locks up tight.

But it won't lock up tight on a cartridge.

So... now what.?

OK, I figured it out, sorta...The rim cut is too shallow and the rim stands proud significantly.

So again... now what?  Guess I gotta get a reamer and deepen the rim cut.  Any other way..?

Aren't these rifles wonderful...
Thanks again.
Think as if you LIFE depends on it... IT does..!  Be Well...

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
Re: (edited) Fitted barrel issue
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 08:19:25 AM »
Dont know if its relavent but are you trying to put fired brass in the chamber. reason I asked is i had a similar issue and when reloading my ammo I just needed to bump the shoulder back a little bit further. These were with Lee dies and had to go 1/4 turn more than recommended. That solved my problem. Dont know if it could be a similar issue.

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 08:41:47 AM »
Thanks, but tried fired brass and Federal and RP loaded rounds which also still protrude, even with the ejector out. 

Closes and locks solidly when empty, shuts with tapered gap between breech and barrel faces, and won't lock with anything in the chamber. 

When I set a case in backwards the rim still protrudes a little...  So I think maybe the barrel was just reamed a little short, rim and chamber...  Alot of $$ and time and effort just for .002". 

Offline tom548

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (51)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 08:49:27 AM »
It you had to reduce the  ejector  thickness may be something is holding it out and when a case is in the chamber it holds it out and prevents it from closing.

Offline tom548

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (51)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 08:59:13 AM »
If you need a deeper rim cut a 1/2" end mill will do the job. A lathe  is best but if your careful I think you could hand cut one.

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 09:20:48 AM »
Ahhh.... an end mill.  I can do that.  I don't think it's the ejector any more though, because the gun won't close even with the ejector out.

Offline ibgp3

• Trade Count: (29)
  • A Real Regular
  • Recovering after nearly 40 years of PTSD
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 09:58:04 AM »
A Topper 30-30 is unlikely to have never been fired.

The alternative that comes to my mind is enough standoff between the barrel and the original receiver that the extra rim was "out in the wind". Extra metal on the ejector might match up with that. If I had some other receivers around I would look for one that is a loose fit and see what happens when you add an empty case.

Was the old H&R that kind of outfit?

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 10:27:28 AM »
Very perceptive.  Yes it was used, and the original breech/barrel fit showed a gap, one reason I refitted the barrel.  And yes I just tried a loose receiver and it does close with brass in chamber. 

So what does this mean?  I could use the looser receiver, but doesn't seem right way. 

Reason I did this barrel fit so I had a 'set' of barrels to fit one receiver.  The 30-30 and a 20ga fit this receiver (also a 357 mag).  Was trying for a cased set.

I know it's best to have dedicated receivers.  Maybe I'm trying to get too much of a good thing.

Thanks.

Offline ibgp3

• Trade Count: (29)
  • A Real Regular
  • Recovering after nearly 40 years of PTSD
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 11:27:57 AM »
I have a "Handi-Arsenal" with one receiver matched up to 6 barrels, so I agree with where you are going.

I'd guess that the rim was under-cut because the chamber was under-reamed, so when you cut the rim to the right depth the case shoulder will be what keeps the barrel from locking up instead of the rim.

Then you can finish reaming out the chamber.....or , you could put it back with it's original receiver and send it on to someone who's ambitions are different.

That is assuming that it is not a safety problem. Show of hands, what does everyone think?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 11:34:51 AM »
Someone in the past may have been ambitious in fitting it to another frame and removed material from the breech face instead of the pivot without consideration of the consequences!  :-\ If'n it was mine, I'd prolly Ackley it to make the chamber right again, a bit of a performance gain and less breech thrust on the soldered underlug, those slim and light Topper barrels are nice.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 12:57:20 PM »
Hmmmm.... if I go AI, that's less pressure on the lug?  Ok, because more to the side rather than back.  Understood.  Wanted to keep it 30-30 for commercial ammo, not another wildcat caliber, so we can use store bought ammo for the set.

The barrel face is usual rough factory milled.  No file marks, so probably not altered. 

As noted, this is a 'light' barrel and that's what's wanted, because the other two 30-30 barrels are way heavier.  Oh, because this is also a contoured chamber barrel, the scope sits a little lower which is even nicer.

I'll keep it and fix it... just more time than I expected.  But I will eventually put the case hardened, contoured Topper receiver on classifieds.

Thanks more to all... please keep the ideas coming...

Offline Goatwhiskers

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2012, 01:56:41 PM »
You can fire factory shells in the AI chamber, won't hurt a thing, just fire forms the brass to the chamber.  Can't say about accuracy.  That's how I formed my brass for my 30/40AI, don't remember exactly the charge I used but used 110gr bullets.  Back in the day one  of the advantages of AI'ing was that you could used store bought ammo in a pinch and you wound up with extra formed brass.  Goatwhiskers