Author Topic: cocking issue{transferbar}  (Read 460 times)

Offline geartow

• Blow a Crow, Drop a Yote!!
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
cocking issue{transferbar}
« on: April 08, 2012, 12:59:43 PM »
I picked up a 22 hornet sb2 but it will only cock if i point the barrel up or rotate to the right. Any help I mean help please.
Blow a Crow, Drop a Yote!!

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: cocking issue
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 01:15:34 PM »
Broken or wrongly installed internal parts.

Take a gander at the two posts on dis assembly in the FAQ's.  You will need or want to make up a "slave pin" but other than that its a pretty easy task.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline geartow

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 01:17:27 PM »
Close inspection shows that the transfer bar is catching the firing pin on the way up . It is a transferbar issue the top half will fold over towards the hammer .I believe it is just plum wore out . It is an '87 vintage.

Offline Jason F

• Trade Count: (261)
Re: cocking issue{transferbar}
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 03:16:56 PM »
Definately time for a rebuild just take your time and read the Faq's first
handi rifles- 22 mag      22 hornet    223      7mm-08      308 chip shot     30-30 x2     30-06 shorty      358 cheez whiz     357 max     35 remington     375-08    410 rifled slug     454 casull     460 s&w     45 smokeless muzzleloader x2     45-70    50 huntsman    50-70 government shikari     20 ga.ush     12 ga.ush    12 ga.3 1/2     10 ga.imp.cyl. slug gun

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 05:31:26 PM »
Might be the spring for the t-bar is missing or installed backwards?
Maybe just a little bit more of a chamfer on that backside would help it slide past the firing pin rather than hanging up, but it has to come apart anyway to do that, so I would suspect incorrectly assembled first.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 07:21:53 PM »
watch what you are doing on the reassembly, and follow the directions in the FAQs.  Last year I had left a revolver out in the nylon fender bag on my four wheeler all winter, and spring.  I found it during the summer, after it had been rained on many times.  I disassembled it and took a wire wheel on my grinder to it to clean all the internal parts of rust.  When I reassembled it I got one spring out of position.  The gun would only turn the cylinder if I pointed it up when cocking it.  Otherwise the cylinder just sat there when cocked.  I took it apart several times and had a brain block.  Over a period of several weeks it almost drove me nuts.  I kept missing the one spring out of position.  Took it to my gunsmith, he laughed and said he knew what the problem was before he even toushed it.  He disassembled it to the point he could remove the spring and showed me how to reassemble it correctly.     
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline geartow

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 01:35:09 AM »
watch what you are doing on the reassembly, and follow the directions in the FAQs.     

I have looked in FAQ and am unable to locate assembly directions.?

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 01:51:05 AM »
watch what you are doing on the reassembly, and follow the directions in the FAQs.     

Broken or wrongly installed internal parts.

Take a gander at the two posts on dis assembly in the FAQ's.  You will need or want to make up a "slave pin" but other than that its a pretty easy task.

CW

Use the search function within the FAQs. It makes finding things a breeze!

Good luck!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 04:43:43 AM »

You're want to look for trigger work.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain