Author Topic: Any Handi nuts like me in PA?  (Read 1153 times)

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
Any Handi nuts like me in PA?
« on: April 09, 2012, 02:30:27 PM »
You know the guys in Ohio seamed to have a great get together the last week and I am jealous. I shoot most of the time at a Pa game commission range inChester county and dont think in the last 3 years I have seen anyone else with a handi rifle there. People look at me like I have 3 heads when I have 5 single shots laid out on a table. Just wondering if there are any others like me out there in PA.

Offline bucco921

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Contributor
Re: Any Handi nuts like me in PA?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 02:50:35 PM »
Add one to the Pa handi-nuts. I get the same stupid looks from people. I had some interested on lookers when i pulled out the ultra 445 sm shorty last time! Hopefully there is enough of us from Pa to organize a lil get together somewhere mid-state

Offline c1skout

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 02:58:41 PM »
Cambria co here. Handi's are pretty popular near me, at least enough that nobody gives me funny looks (and I can never find good deals on used ones) and usually the only comments I get are things like "those are good guns" from guys at the range.

Offline original

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 05:31:13 PM »
Bucks County here.   I dont get to the range that often but I have not seen one other handi at the range either.   

Offline 1NEFsofar

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 06:25:22 AM »
Washington County.  Not many comments on the guns themselves 'cause I shoot left handed and that seems to throw everybody off.  The only comments that I have received was about how suprised people are concerning the accuracey of my handi's.
If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.  

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Offline buckbeast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 07:06:23 AM »
Northern York county here.
Just a country boy from the mountains of PA

Offline Weatherman68

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 08:00:52 AM »
Berks County here.  No comment except from other hunters who say that they can't believe I hunt with a single shot.  One time at the range someone asked me what I was shooting (35 Whelen).  He thought it was a larger caliber.  I guess it made more noise than the other rifles on the range that day.   ;D
Why is there never enough time to do it right but there is always enough time to do it again?

Offline wrongpaw

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 08:18:30 AM »
Carbon Co. Poconos region.  I get the same response when I drop the hammer on a .45-70 or
.500 S&W.  I really like the look on their face if those cases are loaded with black Powder.
Regards,
Wrongpaw
Regards,
Wrongpaw

Offline ham7777

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (52)
  • Contributor
  • Two wrongs do not make a right.
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 09:40:27 AM »
Altoona,PA Blair county. Have seen a  few at the 2 ranges I shoot at. Folks just love looking at (and sometime shooting)my BC 45-70 with the long scopes I have on 2 of them. ;D The same ones on the H&R calender (Nov)
They have a hard time believing I am hitting a metal groundhog at 325 yards.with the 45-70. But the few I let try them are hitting it themselves with in a few shots which makes the true believers out of them. 8) ;D Maybe they have seen the light and will come join us. ;) 8) ;D
Highpower Rifle Sharpshooter Class NRA Endowment Member Army 68-71 RVN 1969 117 AHC Warlords/135 AHC EMU Get the Bloody Job Done/ Me and the Aussies at BearCat RVN 1969

.22 Hornet,.223,.243,.308,38-55(3)(2),44mag.,.45Colt,45-70(20+) .20ga.,(3)16ga.,Huntmans .50cal. Huntman's .58cal. 20 ga. Green Wing,12ga Trap,30-30 AI,35 Remington.12ga. Turkey.22-250 Rem,30-30Win.280 Rem, 7mm08Rem,.30Ebbs,.410/45Colt,.410,30-06,.45 Huntsman,12GA. Huntsman,.44mag Shirkari 45-70 Shirkari (2) 22-250Rem. 25-06 .270 .17Rem Fireball (stub)  7X57AI. 500S&W mag. 450 Marlin mag. 2 H&R 45-70 Trap Doors 2 H&R 48 16ga.

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 10:39:21 AM »
wrongpaw do they still have the 200 yard range up ther off 29 at the game lands. I need to get up there if so. My old company was in Hazelton and use to drive buy it all the time.

Offline geartow

• Blow a Crow, Drop a Yote!!
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012, 12:10:49 PM »
While I now live in NY I still own property in Pa . and still hunt there Venango county.
Blow a Crow, Drop a Yote!!

Offline Miller

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 06:25:41 PM »
Deerhunter#1 If you are talking about the range just past the Carbon County prison on the broad mountain, yes it is still  there. I used it last summer when I was back in Lehighton. I reside in Denver, CO now but when I'm "home" I head up there to kill some paper.

Offline av-doctor

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 04:01:16 AM »
mifflin county here,  i normally shoot at 3 different ranges and i've only seen in the past 10yrs maybe 5 other people have handi's, but they don't stay on the used shelves very long.

Offline 30063030223357

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2012, 01:17:23 PM »
Armstrong county here. Have property in jefferson county with my own range set-up. Have steel targets set at 100,200,300,400 and 450 yds. Have shot my .223 the most, mostly because it took so long to get it accurate! Now it's a tack driver. I guess that's the fun of the handi's, you get to shoot them a lot.I also have  30-30(ejecter), a 30.06, and 357 max rifles, and a 45-70 barrel. Don't really know anybody else that shoots handi's.   Actually., the last few guns i've bought are bolt actions and a contender pistol, but i still shoot my handi's.

Offline grizzlyadams1874

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2012, 08:29:32 AM »
not pa but southern tier ny. steuben county. i get funny looks when i break out the b.o.s.s rifles too!i hunt down in pike county with my uncle though :D the wife and i are probably migrating to pa later this year. somewhere between scranton and milford

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2012, 08:47:35 AM »
Miller- I think that is it. I use to go through Jim thorp and up the hill through the gamelands to get to Hazelton. Well to everyone we could probobly do something at that range if we had any intrest. The commission will actually if correct shut the range down for you for the day if you have enough people going. Just a though let me know what everyone thinks and i can start looking into it. Maybee see about a staurday before it gets to hot. Jim thorpe is a nice area with restaurants and watering holes also so if anyone wanted to stay I am sure it would be worth it. 

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2012, 09:00:01 AM »
Well after just calling the game commission I was informed that though still on the web site they are no longer reserving ranges for groups. Our great commission at work. >:(

Offline bucco921

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2012, 12:01:57 PM »
Dont even get me started on the wonderful PGC.......

Offline knight0334

• Pennsylvania Firearm Owners
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2012, 08:37:41 AM »
I'm over in the west central area of PA.   Just at the bottom edge of the Pennsylvania Wilds.  ...Jefferson County.

I pretty much only hunt with my Handi's and Pardner/Topper shotguns.  Exceptions though for when I use my Taurus 62 pump 22rf or one of my revolvers.

I no longer deer hunt(no bucks in the area, just bunches of doe).   I stick with pheasant, dove, squirrel, rabbit, grouse, and woodchuck now.
RIP ~ Teeny: b.10/27/66 - d.07/03/07

Offline wrongpaw

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2012, 03:48:13 AM »
Deerhunter,
   Sorry no reply.  I've been out of touch for a bit.  Yes, the PGC range is still open on top
of the Broad Mtn, but if a Gammie is there, he will ask you for a hunting license, or ask you
to leave. >:(
Regards,
Wrongpaw
Regards,
Wrongpaw

Offline goofyoldfart

• grumpy old fart as well as goofy old fart.
  • Contributor
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2012, 06:14:11 PM »
Wrongpaw :  WOW. you mean you now have to have a hunting license to hunt PAPER???!!!!! If you can, PLEASE explain. God Bless to all.

goofy

Offline av-doctor

• Avid Poster
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2012, 05:49:42 AM »
you need either a hunting licence or a use permit to shoot at the PGC public ranges i believe starting last year.

Offline c1skout

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2012, 10:31:25 AM »
I think the range use permits are a good idea. For those from other states: PA game lands shooting ranges are on game lands property. All game lands and their maintenance is paid for through hunting license fees, so non-hunters used to get a free ride.

Offline LilHog

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2012, 12:20:42 PM »
Schuylkill County here, I have several handi rifles and shotguns. I go to the range every weekend and always take a handi or two along. Lots of fun and people always ask about them, they are a great conversation item.

Offline COONTRAPPER

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2012, 01:44:09 PM »
i live here in pa western part :)

Offline bucco921

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2012, 02:09:08 PM »
welcome to gbo coontrapper!

Offline j.k280

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2012, 03:04:38 PM »
waye county, pa here. I am lucky enough to have private land to shoot on.  I just started building a permanent bench today,  now if i can get the   wind to calm down.

Offline knight0334

• Pennsylvania Firearm Owners
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2012, 08:33:05 AM »
Wrongpaw :  WOW. you mean you now have to have a hunting license to hunt PAPER???!!!!! If you can, PLEASE explain. God Bless to all.

goofy

The PA Game Commission shooting ranges were getting shotup and trashed by non-hunters.   

In PA, State Hunting Lands and facilities are paid for by hunting license sales.  They aren't funded by the General Assembly.   ...so, to help recoup some of the money lost repairing and cleaning up the shooting ranges EVERYONE must either have hunting or furbearer license, or a Game Commission Range Permit to use the PAGC Ranges.
RIP ~ Teeny: b.10/27/66 - d.07/03/07

Offline goofyoldfart

• grumpy old fart as well as goofy old fart.
  • Contributor
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2012, 08:23:48 AM »
OK. That makes some sense. I think that it is pretty crappy that the non-hunters did that kind of B.S. , So it makes sense. this means that out of staters CAN get a Game Commision Permit , then???  God Bless to all.

Goofyoldfart. :)