Author Topic: Anyone ever try this with a Remmie?  (Read 904 times)

Offline Cuts Crooked

• Trade Count: (0)
Anyone ever try this with a Remmie?
« on: January 28, 2004, 01:36:30 AM »
Howdy gang,

Last fall I won a 58 Remington at a match. It has had the nipple recesses milled out to allow better access to the nipples. The nipple recesses are now square, like Colts, instead of having that shell like shape coming up around the nipple.

I've owned a target model Remmie for years and like the way it shoots, used it at muzzlelaoding matches a lot. But I now do a lot of CAS and so it has sat in the safe most of the time. Being a target model with adjustable sights, I couldn't use in the Frontiersman class for CAS. The only thing I didn't like about it was that it's a hassle to cap with a straight line capper. When I won this new one, I tried it with the straight capper and it works great! So I went out and bought another one and am planning to mill the nipple recesses on it to match the other and use them in CAS.

Is this a common modification? Or has the feller who did this one come up wif sumpthin unique?
Smokeless is only a passing fad!

"The liar who charms and disarms and wreaths himself in artifice is too agreeable to be called a demon. So we adopt the word "candidate"." Brooke McEldowney

"When a dog has bitten ten kids I have trouble believing he would make a good childs companion just because he now claims he is a good dog and doesn't bite. How's that for a "parable"?"....ME

Offline howdy doody

• Contributor
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2004, 05:23:34 AM »
Yes, I took a dremel and opened up my cylinder recesses/flash shields on my cylinders and with a Tedd Cash two pronged capper, I have no problem capping, but I cannot use a snail capper, although I can on ROAs.
I think my remmies are the most accurate of all my pistols. I am still thinking hard about 1875s in .44 or .45 :grin:
yer pard,
Howdy Doody

Darksider from Doodyville USA

Offline MOGorilla

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2004, 07:14:25 AM »
I shot a friend of mine's 5.5" 75 rem.   It was a wonderful shooter (a tad bit of a hair trigger, but that is easily fixed).   It was a more accurate shooter thatn any colt clone I have shot.  His was from EMF, and he got a pretty good price on it.  I got my Henry from them a few years back, real friendly people.  If I ever can talk my wife into it, I see a 75 in my future.

http://www.emf-company.com/

p.s.  I love all of my colts- cap-n-ball, but I have to say my remmington is the most accurate.

Offline Flint

remington
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2004, 11:31:58 AM »
I opened up the nipple recesses in a couple of cylinders to allow a capper in, I opened it enough for the snail capper.  They work fine.  Going to modify the rest soon.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline Cuts Crooked

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2004, 06:42:27 AM »
Thanx fer responses pards. I gather that this is a fairly common mod and I'm going to do it, probably this afternoon. I'll do it the hard way though, as usual fer me :oops: , and mill them out on the drill press. I figure an end mill of the same size as the nipple recess, lowered into the recess itself, and then pulled sideways through the "shields" should do the trick nicely.

For those of you considering 75s....yer in fer a treat! 8)
Smokeless is only a passing fad!

"The liar who charms and disarms and wreaths himself in artifice is too agreeable to be called a demon. So we adopt the word "candidate"." Brooke McEldowney

"When a dog has bitten ten kids I have trouble believing he would make a good childs companion just because he now claims he is a good dog and doesn't bite. How's that for a "parable"?"....ME