Author Topic: First Trigger Job  (Read 415 times)

Offline 161

• Trade Count: (0)
First Trigger Job
« on: April 11, 2012, 03:28:44 AM »
Did my first trigger job on my 308 Ultra. My scale goes to 72 oz. and it cleared that with ease. When I finished it breaks like a glass rod at 2 1/4 lbs. Then I started on my BC 45-70 :-\ . I had to placed an order with Brownell's for a new hammer and trigger. Went a little too far, guess that's how we learn.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: First Trigger Job
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 04:42:23 AM »
Absolutely correct!!!

I have done many many and even still occasionally need to install new parts!  I keep atleast a complete set of parts on hand all the time. Common stuff I have multiples of!!

Good job!

Rule of thumb is you should not be removing material, simply smooth what's there. The parts are surface hardened and if you work thru the hardening you will have the ever changing trigger weight u til one day it will become unsafe and then not at all work.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 11:32:38 AM »
Yep, dremel with polishing pad and jeweler's rouge will slick 'em up like a babies butt!  Really helps the groups too!

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (94)
    • NewLife Worship Center
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 11:41:01 AM »
Superlube with about 25% bullet moly mixed and only the pins polished usually will give you around 2-2.5 lbs.
Pastor, NewLife Worship Center
(Retired) Automotive Technology Instructor, West Feliciana High School
Avid Shooter, Hunter, Fisherman and owner of Handi Rifles

Offline 161

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 02:32:49 AM »
Parts came yesterday. Now the BC has "polished" ::)  surfaces resulting in a fairly crisp 2.5 lbs trigger pull.  ;D