Author Topic: Question about shipping frames in for barrels  (Read 701 times)

Offline NYRebel13

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
Question about shipping frames in for barrels
« on: April 11, 2012, 03:35:22 PM »
I am going to be shipping my frame in for a new barrel.  Can I send it myself or does it need to go from an FFL?  Also, if I ship it myself, do they ship it back to me or does it go thru an FFL again?
My biggest fear in life is dying and my wife selling my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Offline Jason F

• Trade Count: (261)
Re: Question about shipping frames in for barrels
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 03:37:05 PM »
You ship it to them and the ship it back to you
handi rifles- 22 mag      22 hornet    223      7mm-08      308 chip shot     30-30 x2     30-06 shorty      358 cheez whiz     357 max     35 remington     375-08    410 rifled slug     454 casull     460 s&w     45 smokeless muzzleloader x2     45-70    50 huntsman    50-70 government shikari     20 ga.ush     12 ga.ush    12 ga.3 1/2     10 ga.imp.cyl. slug gun

Offline RPRNY

• Trade Count: (11)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 03:55:38 PM »
And while UPS should have no issue whatsoever with shipping your receiver, apparently people have had issue with UPS franchisees in some jurisdictions. Whereas, USPS has no issue whatsoever. Just be sure to address it according to the H&R instructions on the barrel accessory program website.
[spoof]The Handi-Rifle is a highly matrixed, vintage tactical shooting platform allowing operators high interchangeability, extended caliber diversity, and a wide choice of range related optical solutions suited to the demands of their tactical operating environments.  ;) [/spoof]

Offline NYRebel13

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 04:00:14 PM »
I plan on sending it USPS (my father works for the post office).  Can I send them in a flat rate box?  Can I just send the frame or do I need to send stock and all?  What is the cheapest way to send them out?
My biggest fear in life is dying and my wife selling my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Offline YRUpunting?

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 04:29:53 PM »
I sent mine in a flat rate box, one of the smaller medium ones as I remember.  I removed the stock from the receiver, and wrapped all the pieces in newspaper and filled the extra space with newspaper.   They fit the barrel to the forearm and receiver and test fire the new barrel, so they need all but your current barrel.  FYI - they do not clean the gun, it will be filthy when you get it back.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 04:47:40 AM »
I send just the frame in a small flat box, costs aout $8 insured, order a stock set at the same time.  8)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 04:54:15 AM »
Funny you should say that Tim...  :-\

Is an up to date parts list, i.e. available stocks, on the H&R site anywhere?   ???
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 04:59:09 AM »
Not that I'm aware of, the list that Brian provided on the FAQs retail parts page is the latest, Brian is the best source of availability status.  ;)

Tim

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 05:07:29 AM »
gotcha!  Thanx!   ;)
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline NYRebel13

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 06:43:14 AM »
I send just the frame in a small flat box, costs aout $8 insured, order a stock set at the same time.  8)

Tim

All depends on if they have survivor stocks available.  That is what I plan on putting on.  Although I could just get a handi grip stock and order a survivor forend.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 07:52:36 AM »
That applies to anything you order, but they're more likely to have the Survivor set in stock since they're made by Choate, barrel availability is another matter, just depends on what you want. If the stock set is unavailable at the time, they could always return the frame and fitted barrel, and send the stock later. They'd contact you if there's a problem with availability on an item and offer an alternative.

Tim

Offline NYRebel13

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2012, 09:03:45 AM »
I'll probably give them a call to see availabilty and price on stock sets.  I'm looking for a .223 barrel so it should be available.  Looking to replace a bolt action I traded with my cousin.

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2012, 01:33:32 PM »
one thing yall gotta remember.... when they ship it back to you, it comes ups signature required !!!   :o
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline geartow

• Blow a Crow, Drop a Yote!!
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2012, 02:17:19 PM »
I drove to the factory to drop mine off for barrels , I took just the receiver . I may be dropping off a receiver tomarrow for transfer bar issues and  another barrel . They have stocks there for their use during fittings and test fireings.
Blow a Crow, Drop a Yote!!

Offline NYRebel13

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2012, 02:27:12 PM »
I drove to the factory to drop mine off for barrels , I took just the receiver . I may be dropping off a receiver tomarrow for transfer bar issues and  another barrel . They have stocks there for their use during fittings and test fireings.

When I have the cash in hand to send in my reciever I will call them and find out my options.  Just found out I may have more bills coming in from when I was out of work with back problems.