Author Topic: 16 ga. vent rib - update  (Read 1141 times)

Offline Ol BW

• Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
16 ga. vent rib - update
« on: April 12, 2012, 04:10:50 PM »
I found a 16 ga. Vent Rib at a pawn shop the other day.  What price should one go for?  Figured there maybe someone out there that wants one. . .

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: 16 ga. vent rib
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 04:28:11 PM »
I have a 16 H&R and it is one of my favorites. I did not know they made a vent rib model. I would be interested in it. If you could I would appreciate you sending me an e-mail or a PM with the info of the shop that has it and I will call them about it...Thanks!....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 06:04:02 PM »
I also have a 16, but mine is a full choke standard barrel.  Curious what choke the vent rib barrel is.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 01:32:18 AM »
I've never seen or heard of that.

Andy _ you gonna buy it?
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 02:06:23 AM »
Hi Markus, I do like my 16's and I would buy it if I could (I assume the OI BW is talking about an H&R single shot shotgun). It looks as if he will be going back to the shop and may buy it himself. If he does not buy it and lets me know where it is I will try to buy it. I am wordering if it has a factory rib or if someone had a rib added, either way it sounds interesting, as long as the rib is attached well....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Ol BW

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 02:10:31 PM »
Yeah guys laugh it up!  ;D It was a H&R single shot with a vent rib.  I did not put it in my hands but I know what I saw.  I'm gonna check it out closer if it is still there.  I'll see if I can get some pics. 

BTW, they had a Long Tom 12 ga. that was beautiful with a 34" bbl, a case colored frame and stock like the BC rifle.  They also had two 45/70 BC.

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 04:13:00 PM »
Whoever ends up getting this thing, take some pictures!
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 04:28:37 PM »
I hope it's me, I am just waiting around in second place, right between the first in line, OL BW and that fine gentleman in third place, Markus. I would love to see pictures of it, or even better take pictures of it if I get it. If I do get it I will post the pictures here....<><.... :)

P.S. - OL BW, you should get that Long Tom with the 34" barrel, what a great turkey and goose gun. You could also win your share of Turkey shoots with it!!!....

Offline OldSchoolRanger

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 04:34:16 PM »
MSP Ret - What choke is your barrel?

Ol BW - If you buy the vent rib 16Ga, let us know what choke it is.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline Ol BW

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 05:00:22 PM »
HA HA!   ;D   I sure hope its there when I go back, Ya'll would think I was lying!  Didn't know I was gonna stir up a hornets nest!

Offline Ol BW

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2012, 07:09:11 AM »
Well it came home with me.  Do ya think I got skint?

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2012, 07:19:07 AM »
Yep, looks like a 16 ga. TDC. about from 1999 with the Nxxx serial number.  Cool find.  8)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2012, 07:50:06 AM »
Yes, that is a great find and congratulations on getting a fine gun. It would have gone home we me as well. Did you get the 20 you were looking at as well?....<><....:)

Offline Ol BW

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2012, 07:55:16 AM »
Yep went ahead and got the 20ga. but it is in pretty rough shape.  It is marked full but someone cut some of the barrel off and several rust spots.  It should do what I need though. . .

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2012, 08:52:33 AM »
Enjoy them both buddy. And by the way, I do not recall the TDC ever being offered in 16 gauge. I think if they were I would have bought one....<><....:)

Offline Ol BW

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2012, 09:01:36 AM »
The barrel doesn't have any markings on it, except a name on the side of the rib.  It is double stamped so it is hard to read.  Could it be made by an outside company for H&R?

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2012, 02:08:02 PM »
That is a possibility. The are members here that have put underlugs on other barrels and fitted them to Handi frames. I like it because it's a 16 and I like 16's. As long as it fits the frame and works it would be OK with me, resale value or not....<><.... :)

Offline OldSchoolRanger

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2012, 06:00:06 PM »
Well it came home with me.  Do ya think I got skint?
Nope!  With a walnut stock even.  I would have bought it in a flash. 

If you figure out what choke it is, that would be nice.  Considering the vent rib, I have a feeling it's either a full (for trap), or a modified (for hunting), or an IC, (or skeet), or ????? What do I know :P , I'm just guessing. ;D

Good luck with the gun. 

Offline Ol BW

• A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2012, 03:22:14 AM »
Well I know how to test a 12 ga choke with a dime but I don't know about a 16 ga.  I found a "F" stamped on the side of the underlug.  I assume that means full choke.  If you put a dime in the end of the barrel with Roosevelt's head first, it covers the top of his head about like a hat would.  Dosen't quite reach his ears. 

Also, "Simmons Gun Specialties Inc. Olathe, Kansas" is stamped on the left side of the vent rib.  Does anyone else have this on the side of their vent rib? 

Offline spooked

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2012, 04:47:22 AM »
people used to send Model 12 Win. and other nice guns to Simmons for adding vent ribs.... they did high quality work..Still see Simmons ribs on shotguns at gunshows...Talk about "makin' a silk purse outa a sows ear" that handi with a Simmons rib is a good example..Imagine the rib cost more than the gun originally did...
Lost between sunrise and sunset yesterday-one golden hour...never to be found or reclaimed:-(

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2012, 04:09:21 PM »
Very cool find! I love 16's so that would have come home with me, too.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline Ol BW

• A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2012, 02:47:00 AM »
Well, I called the good people at H&R Customer service and it is indeed a factory 16ga. with a vent rib and full choke as issued from the factory.  Guess this is an older version of the TDC??

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2012, 03:22:04 AM »
You have a gem there, all these years on this board and I never knew they made one. I guess it's like the one and only .17 HMR Versa Pak barrel. These one (or a few) of a kind things are out there and some of you lucky members come across them. Congratulations....<><.... :)

That said, on the average, Customer Service knows a heck of a lot less about these guns than do the members of this board...

Offline Ol BW

• A Real Regular
Re: 16 ga. vent rib - update
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2012, 03:27:11 AM »
Yeah I asked him if it was a deluxe and he said the only thing he could tell was tha it was 16 ga. vent rib w/full choke. . .Guess the records just have the bare minimum info??

Offline OldSchoolRanger

Re: 16 ga. vent rib - update
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2012, 07:33:41 AM »
H&R CS is lucky that they have that.  They lost a lot of information in a move (or fire) years ago.