Author Topic: Handi-Rifle .357  (Read 2175 times)

Offline wvjoetc

• Trade Count: (34)
  • Avid Poster
Handi-Rifle .357
« on: April 12, 2012, 04:29:56 PM »
A friend of mine has one for sale, are they normaly a good shooter?  The .357 has my interest.  Thanks for any comments,

Joe
TC Renegade 50 cal
CVA Bobcat  50 cal
"Here Pilgram skin this'n an I'll get you another"

Offline Jason F

• Trade Count: (261)
Re: Handi-Rifle .357
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 04:39:14 PM »
Buy it and get on reamer list
handi rifles- 22 mag      22 hornet    223      7mm-08      308 chip shot     30-30 x2     30-06 shorty      358 cheez whiz     357 max     35 remington     375-08    410 rifled slug     454 casull     460 s&w     45 smokeless muzzleloader x2     45-70    50 huntsman    50-70 government shikari     20 ga.ush     12 ga.ush    12 ga.3 1/2     10 ga.imp.cyl. slug gun

Offline Catshooter45

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 04:41:55 PM »
  They are an extremly popular caliber.  Very accurate.  Many here have reamed them to 357 Maximum for the increased versitility.

Cat

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 06:27:35 PM »
Don't hesitate, buy it yesterday!  ;D   Seriously, you can't go wrong with the Handi in .357Mag.  I you want to get more range, do like the other fellas did, and ream it to .357Max.  I personally kept mine as a .357, I'm happy just shooting the .38's and 357Mag.  This caliber for some reason is one of H&R's most accurate calibers, along with the 30-30's, and 45-70's.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 12:30:33 AM »
My wife and I both have them.  Her's is 22 inch black synthetic.  Mine is 16.5 inch on a BC carbine stock set.  Both are reamed to Maxi, wear 4x32 Bushnell Banners, and are shooters.  I use the Allen 9 round butt stock cartridge holder with three .38s, three Mags and three maxis.  Mine usually accompanies me going about the farm.  It's a very handi little rifle.  One of my .357 barrels also grew up to be my .356/.358 Winchester.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 01:28:50 AM »
I am working up a 170 gr., cast, flat based, SWC, Keith-style bullet, Lyman mould #358429, and IMR "Hi-Skor" 700X powder combination that after a couple of new scope sighters, walked in nicely and so far has bench placed the final 4 rounds at 100yards into a very workable pattern that has me smiling all the way back to the loading bench.

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 01:51:14 AM »
I say get it. I reamed my first one to max. and she is shooting good. Have another on its way and i am going to keep this one a mag and work on some 140 grain ftx loads. Going to test the speed limits with this combo.

Offline OldSchoolRanger

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 10:35:04 AM »
Land_Owner - I would say that it is definitely an "acceptable group".  ;) ;D
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 02:31:00 PM »
Well I changed my mine. second one on the way and i am reaming it also. Why not now i have a 22 inch and an 18 1/2 they are different aint they ;)

Offline OldSchoolRanger

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 05:06:29 PM »
Well I changed my mine. second one on the way and i am reaming it also. Why not now i have a 22 inch and an 18 1/2 they are different aint they ;)
DH#1 - Different lengths?  Your excuse to buy a second one is kinda shady.  ;D Did you really need a reason to get two?  ;) ;D ;D

Offline ratdog

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 08:05:31 PM »
land owner nice group 4 clicks up on elevation and you will really have it. finally got mine shooting good with my cast 158 grn wad cutters.my 44 is about the same.that  ot to slam those piggies. ;D

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2012, 01:15:05 AM »
With all this excellent advice, I KNOW you bought it.... so where is the pics???

LOL  YUP I agree, GO BUY IT!  ;)

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2012, 01:19:27 AM »
I was thinking about shooting through the chronograph (for an average velocity) and then doing some exterior ballistic calculations. 

Would the 170 grain x 357 Magnum be "good enough" for Handi-rifle shots out to 230 yards?  I am certain I can accurize it to shoot groups for a zero at 200 yards. 

Will it have the "punch" necessary to put down a 200# hog (say) or a 125# deer (more likely) at 230 yards?  My pre-calculation gut feeling is "No.  It isn't the right cartridge." 

If I can't achieve an anchoring shot, then loss of game at my place is extremely problematic (due to miles and miles of dense thick cover) and the shot will not be taken in the first place.  I am not about punching a one-sided hole in game only to see that game disappear never to be recovered.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2012, 01:35:47 AM »
I was thinking about shooting through the chronograph (for an average velocity) and then doing some exterior ballistic calculations. 

Would the 170 grain x 357 Magnum be "good enough" for Handi-rifle shots out to 230 yards?  I am certain I can accurize it to shoot groups for a zero at 200 yards. 

Will it have the "punch" necessary to put down a 200# hog (say) or a 125# deer (more likely) at 230 yards?  My pre-calculation gut feeling is "No.  It isn't the right cartridge." 

If I can't achieve an anchoring shot, then loss of game at my place is extremely problematic (due to miles and miles of dense thick cover) and the shot will not be taken in the first place.  I am not about punching a one-sided hole in game only to see that game disappear never to be recovered.

For a hunting bullet IMHO NO!  For whacking steel or paper, go for it!

If you MUST shoot at such distances I would taylor a load just for it... but it would require you to go lighter as the powder cap in the lil mag case is lacking... Firsts thought would be to try the 125 XTP FP bullet as fast as I could accurately get it going. Then set out some milk jugs at 230-250 and see what the bullet does... IF you get good results and adaquite expansion and penetration try it.

BUT Know that this is far beyond what one should be shooting critters with a 357 mag rifle...

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2012, 01:51:03 AM »
oldschool- you know the old saying."Its the same but different". Guess my 44 mag talo will need a same but different friend soon and i havent even shot it yet. Got to go the wife is calling. "Yes Dear" ;D

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2012, 10:22:35 AM »
Quote from: cwlongshot
For a hunting bullet IMHO NO! 

At what range then?  None? 

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2012, 11:01:45 AM »
For a hunting bullet IMHO NO! 

At what range then?  None?

IMHO the 158/160 SP is optimal for the Magnum case, when used for smaller big game from a rifle.

The 170 is a good alternative to those whop must have a heavier slug. for game like hogs or big deer at shorter distances. I have used it with good success on deer, in the Maxi both Contender and rifle length barrels.

If the 170 is all you have or you have a large supply use it. Load it to top accuracy and velocity and keep the shots to 100-125 and you should be just fine.

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline OldBob

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2012, 11:33:03 AM »
  I reamed mineto 357 mAX and I love it, would be my favorite if there werte no 45-70's.........

100 yards with the ranchdog 190 gr. bullet

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2012, 11:41:20 PM »

IMHO the 158/160 SP is optimal for the Magnum case, when used for smaller big game from a rifle.

The 170 is a good alternative to those whop must have a heavier slug. for game like hogs or big deer at shorter distances. I have used it with good success on deer, in the Maxi both Contender and rifle length barrels.

If the 170 is all you have or you have a large supply use it. Load it to top accuracy and velocity and keep the shots to 100-125 and you should be just fine.

I let the barrel decide the weight of the bullet.  My barrel shoots the heavier slug with inherently greater accuracy.  I was sending a heap of 158 gr's down range.  I mean 20-pounds or more of cast and purchased cast bullets.  None of the 158 gr's grouped well AT ALL for a host of powders and charges.  I got REAL FRUSTRATED and put the gun in the safe for a year.

Eventually, I received some 180 gr. LBT cast bullets from my good friend 45-70.gov, which he thought would be good for killing hogs at my place.  I reloaded 50 of them on the RCBS Piggyback II, which I do not use when making rifle rounds as I believe it throws a powder charge to 0.25 gr. (+/-), and took the Handi- to the range again.  The 180 gr's immediately grouped significantly better and I had not even worked up a charge.  When I went to purchase a mould, the LBT was twice what I wanted to spend as a noob.  So, as "Training Wheels", I went for both a used 357 x 150 WC Lee #358-91 aluminum single cavity (which I REALLY LIKE) and a new 170 gr SWC Lyman #358429 2-cavity (Christmas Gift which I REALLY LIKE) for my Ruger SP101 and Handi-rifle respectively. 

I purposefully don't shoot the 170's in the Ruger, although I could load them for it I presume.  The 170's are loaded hotter and too long C.O.L. thus sticking out of the Ruger's cylinder to interfere at the gap.  In this way, I hope, I don't think anyone will be confused that they are not intended for the Ruger.  I know I won't be confused.  I label my cartridge boxes with this warning.

The 170 gr's have restored my confidence in reloading for this Handi-rifle.  My barrel likes a heavier bullet - who knew?  Maybe it is the long shank of the 170 design.  The 180 gr LBT is long shanked too.  I will eventually purchase some of the more elegant LBT moulds.  They are pricy.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2012, 02:55:53 AM »

I let the barrel decide the weight of the bullet.  My barrel shoots the heavier slug with inherently greater accuracy.  I was sending a heap of 158 gr's down range.  I mean 20-pounds or more of cast and purchased cast bullets.  None of the 158 gr's grouped well AT ALL for a host of powders and charges.  I got REAL FRUSTRATED and put the gun in the safe for a year.

Eventually, I received some 180 gr. LBT cast bullets from my good friend 45-70.gov, which he thought would be good for killing hogs at my place.  I reloaded 50 of them on the RCBS Piggyback II, which I do not use when making rifle rounds as I believe it throws a powder charge to 0.25 gr. (+/-), and took the Handi- to the range again.  The 180 gr's immediately grouped significantly better and I had not even worked up a charge.  When I went to purchase a mould, the LBT was twice what I wanted to spend as a noob.  So, as "Training Wheels", I went for both a used 357 x 150 WC Lee #358-91 aluminum single cavity (which I REALLY LIKE) and a new 170 gr SWC Lyman #358429 2-cavity (Christmas Gift which I REALLY LIKE) for my Ruger SP101 and Handi-rifle respectively. 

I purposefully don't shoot the 170's in the Ruger, although I could load them for it I presume.  The 170's are loaded hotter and too long C.O.L. thus sticking out of the Ruger's cylinder to interfere at the gap.  In this way, I hope, I don't think anyone will be confused that they are not intended for the Ruger.  I know I won't be confused.  I label my cartridge boxes with this warning.

The 170 gr's have restored my confidence in reloading for this Handi-rifle.  My barrel likes a heavier bullet - who knew?  Maybe it is the long shank of the 170 design.  The 180 gr LBT is long shanked too.  I will eventually purchase some of the more elegant LBT moulds.  They are pricy.

We have gotten off topic and overtaken this post...  :o ::)

BUT quickly, Your tact is fine for a target shooting gun.

A barrels twist determins what bullet shoots best.

When you need a bullet to preform you need to be with in a certain vel range. The Mag case lacks the capacity to attain that vel at your needed range to work with this bullet weight. Simple physics. Want longer range, raise vel... BUT your limited to pressure levels SO only alternative if you gotta stay with this case is to LOWER bullet weight....

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline broom_jm

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2012, 05:35:35 AM »
You shot ~900 158 grain bullets through your gun and gave up on it for a year, before you decided to try a different bullet weight/style?  You must be a very persistent person.   :)

Quote from: Land_Owner

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2012, 01:12:56 PM »
Yes broom, about that, or so it would seem.  But not all of that shooting was for groups on paper targets.  A LOT of it was just shooting it for FUN, because the 357 Mag Handi-rifle is like that.  It's black, it's tactical, it's stealthy, it's practically recoil-free, and it is cheap to shoot.  I had just gotten it and it was the "new toy".  The fact that at first it "wouldn't shoot straight" (minute of target) didn't deter me from putting a bunch of lead through that brand new barrel.  There were exacerbating circumstances:  at that time I had acquired six rifles in 5 different calibers and four handguns, some of them in complementary calibers with the rifles.  I had so much "caliber confusion" going on, that it was an oversight as much as on purpose.  I really got confused and frustrated acquiring so much in so short a time.  fish or cut bait I guess.  I didn't know what to load, what to shoot, what reloading supplies I had, what I needed, it was all a very confusing time and the game didn't participate in hunting season either!!!

Here are a few of the posts from the Days of Confusion and Frustration:
March 2010
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,203299.msg1099057347.html#msg1099057347
April 2010
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,204573.msg1099068540.html#msg1099068540

cw, I think we're still on topic with the OP's question, although we're now discussing 357 Handi- interests to each other rather than to the OP...somehow, in my mind anyway, we're still on topic I think...and yes, I understand.  Max vel for the case, 170 gr. bullet, and 200-yd range is below the threshold of "standard" practice (~1,000 ft-lbs of energy at impact).  So, 0.357" x 170 gr. x 200-yds is a No Go as a "long range" game getter.  Within 100 yards then Go.  Reducing bullet weight, decreasing range, and maximizing powder charge within Mfg. published data increases velocity and approaches (or possibly attains) the "standard".  I will run the numbers when the chronograph work is in hand.  I will still shoot for velocity just to see what I am getting.  There are multiple 90-yard (or less) opportunities to use this rifle with a 170 gr. bullet as a game getter.  It is a fine rifle and I thoroughly enjoy shooting it.

Offline dpe.ahoy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2012, 02:38:00 PM »
OR, get on the list, ream it out to the Maxie, start all over again with load development :o and extend your range to 175, maybe even 200 yd with a cast bullet.  That should leave 2 holes leaking red juice to follow on deer.  I wouldn't want to try it that far on hogs, but I've never hunted hogs so what do I know. :-\   DP
RIP Oct 27, 2017

Handi's:22Shot, 22LR, 2-22Mag, 22Hornet, 5-223, 2-357Max, 44 mag, 2-45LC, 7-30 Waters, 7mm-08, 280, 25-06, 30-30, 30-30AI, 444Marlin, 45-70, AND 2-38-55s, 158 Topper 22 Hornet/20ga. combo;  Levers-Marlins:Two 357's, 44 mag, 4-30-30s, RC-Glenfields 36G-30A & XLR, 3-35 Rem, M-375, 2-444P's, 444SS, 308 MX, 338Marlin MXLR, 38-55 CB, 45-70 GS, XS7 22-250 and 7mm08;  BLR's:7mm08, 358Win;  Rossi: 3-357mag, 44mag, 2-454 Casull; Winchesters: 7-30 Waters, 45Colt Trapper; Bolt actions, too many;  22's, way too many.  Who says it's an addiction?

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2012, 03:03:53 PM »
wvjoetc!!!, call your friend and tell him right now that you will buy that .357 Handi. After you shoot it you will thanks us all for telling you to get it. If you don't buy it I am SURE someone here would want it. Do it buddy, you WILL like it....and if you don't it would sell here in a heartbeat....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (67)
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2012, 04:11:18 PM »
I see you have shot a lot of cast. Have you tried Jacketed bullets? My Grandkid the "Rooster" went 3 for three this season with the cheap Federal 158gr factory Soft Points. He dropped a Whitetail buck, a mule deer doe and really messed up an Aramadillo's day with them .$22.50 for 50 at Wal Mart He shoots water bottle caps at 100 yards with them as well :o
Good Luck
"it ain't what you shoot em with......................
  it's where you hit em "

Offline ratdog

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2012, 06:18:50 PM »
landowner i tried the 170 grn 158 dia bullets from montana bullet works shot good.but i already had some 158 grn wad cutters and the 170 bullets are a little expensive for the way i like to shoot. ;D